Humidifier strategies

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Erin_Belli

Humidifier strategies

Post by Erin_Belli » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:35 pm

I'd like to share a few humidifier strategies I've been using, that have helped me quite a bit. I live in the Mojave desert, and need lots of humidification with my xPAP therapy.

The most effective strategy I've employed is the purchase of the Aussie heated hose (available at http://www.sleepzone.com.au). Now I can turn my humidifier way up, and not experience rainout (except a little bit in the interface).

I also have two humidifiers linked together. One is integrated with my M-Series APAP. The other is an HC-150. The output from the integrated humidifier goes into the HC-150, which then outputs to my heated hose. I usually have the integrated humidifier set to zero, and use it as a passover, while the HC-150 is heated. But if I want more humidity without running out of water in the HC-150 chamber, I'll turn on the heat on the integrated humidifier.

Another way I've kept from running out of water is to fill the HC-150 chamber slightly above the warning line. Overfilling has not caused me any problems. My max CPAP pressure is 9cm, so maybe if it was much higher it would cause water to splash up into the hose by overfilling.

xPAP therapy was causing a lot of congestion in my airways, leading me to turn up the pressure in order to blast through the congestion. But now that I can get adequate humidification the congestion has gone away, and I can turn the air pressure down.

I hope all of this helps anyone who's having humidification problems.
The path to Awakening lies through sleep.

Lyza

Post by Lyza » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:04 am

I know that people's bodies are different and everyone lives in different climate and a different bedroom temperature, but I find it so bizarre at just how different my experience (or lack of) with the whole heated humidifer and rainout is.

I've only been papping for 7 months now, and have tried 3 different masks.

I've experienced zero rainout with all 3 masks, machine is at bed level, all hoses are completely naked and the heated humidifer has only been used once when i was dealing with bronchitis and dr. told me to use it. I found even at a setting of 1 the heat was too moist for me, back with a nasal mask and just made my face seem more oily and the mask more slippery.. couldn't wait to get off the heated part.. I love the cool air blowing in my face.

blarg

Post by blarg » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:22 am

Lyza wrote:I've experienced zero rainout with all 3 masks...and the heated humidifer has only been used once...
You generally have to be using the heat on the HH to get rainout. Otherwise the water wouldn't vaporize over the capacity in your room air in the first place, meaning it's not there to condense.

I like my aussie hose and a good ol' fashioned MAX (5) on my integrated humidifier.