New to CPAP, need help choosing right pressure.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ozij

Re: New to CPAP, need help choosing right pressure.

Post by ozij » Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:14 pm

palerider wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:22 pm
kidchameleon wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:37 pm
I was very surprised to see this score this morning.
https://imgur.com/a/0PqkYtb
[...]since I was nervous about getting two of my wisdom teeth removed this morning.
Should I keep it at 10 or move on to 11?
Let it sit for a couple days and see, think averages, not single nights.
Don't make any changes at all till you're absolutely over your wisdom teeth extraction. Between the pain and the anti pain medication, we'll know nothing about how pressure affects your sleep until you've healed.
I'm not even sure if you'll be able to use the mask on the first (first few?) nights.
Me, I had all four wisdom teeth extracted in two bouts, when I was less that 20, and I remember waking up after that double extraction because I had drooled so much that my pillow was pretty soaked, and quite unnaturally pink....
Take it easy.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

kidchameleon

Post by kidchameleon » Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:42 am

Alrighty, I've gone through my pain and suffering from the tooth extractions. Also, I was prescribed trazodone after telling my PCP about how I wake up multiple times at night, most likely due to stress. I definitely don't wake up like I used to.
Here are my charts since I started taking trazodone.
https://imgur.com/a/kTzz5y6
I seem to have done really well on the 21st, maybe I should switch to a static pressure of 14/10? I didn't do anything different that night, not sure how I got such good results.

Steerpike58

Post by Steerpike58 » Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:58 pm

kidchameleon wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:53 pm

Alright, so I've recently been diagnosed with sleep apnea a few months ago in january. I've been feeling endlessly sleepy for so many years. I'm a 28 year old male, somewhat fit.
For a long time I thought it was related to my hypothyroidism, so I tried a lot of different medications to no effect. I know now that my thyroid never really affected
my sleep at all. After learning about sleep apnea, I decided to get a sleep study, which I got my results for about 2 weeks later.
I really couldn't sleep well at the study, but the nurse told me they had enough information to analyze the data.
I'll post the results here
https://imgur.com/7og5Equ
Am I right in reading your results as - overall AHI = 9.9 (which is 'mild')? So is even 'mild' apnea causing you a great amount of trouble? I ask because I was just diagnosed with 'severe' OSA, with an AHI of 30.3. I guess I'm in for a rocky ride if my value is 3x worse than yours!

GrumpyHere

Post by GrumpyHere » Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:05 am

Steerpike58 wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:58 pm
I ask because I was just diagnosed with 'severe' OSA, with an AHI of 30.3. I guess I'm in for a rocky ride if my value is 3x worse than yours!
The severity of OSA has no correlation as to whether you’re going to have a “rocky ride.”

Some people take to the CPAP therapy like ducks to water (pray that you’re among the lucky.)
Most take a few months.
The unlucky can take years.

But the complications of untreated apneas warrant persistence in making CPAP treatment work for you regardless of how rocky the ride.

Code: Select all

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/sleep-apnea/symptoms-causes/syc-20377631

Complications

Sleep apnea is a serious medical condition. Complications of OSA can include:

Daytime fatigue. The repeated awakenings associated with sleep apnea make typical, restorative sleep impossible, in turn making severe daytime drowsiness, fatigue and irritability likely.

You might have trouble concentrating and find yourself falling asleep at work, while watching TV or even when driving. People with sleep apnea have an increased risk of motor vehicle and workplace accidents.

You might also feel quick-tempered, moody or depressed. Children and adolescents with sleep apnea might perform poorly in school or have behavior problems.

High blood pressure or heart problems. Sudden drops in blood oxygen levels that occur during OSA increase blood pressure and strain the cardiovascular system. Having OSA increases your risk of high blood pressure, also known as hypertension.

OSA might also increase your risk of recurrent heart attack, stroke and irregular heartbeats, such as atrial fibrillation. If you have heart disease, multiple episodes of low blood oxygen (hypoxia or hypoxemia) can lead to sudden death from an irregular heartbeat.

Type 2 diabetes. Having sleep apnea increases your risk of developing insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes.
Metabolic syndrome. This disorder, which includes high blood pressure, abnormal cholesterol levels, high blood sugar and an increased waist circumference, is linked to a higher risk of heart disease.
Complications with medicines and surgery. Obstructive sleep apnea is also a concern with certain medicines and general anesthesia. People with sleep apnea might be more likely to have complications after major surgery because they're prone to breathing problems, especially when sedated and lying on their backs.

Before you have surgery, tell your doctor about your sleep apnea and how it's being treated.

Liver problems. People with sleep apnea are more likely to have irregular results on liver function tests, and their livers are more likely to show signs of scarring, known as nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.
Sleep-deprived partners. Loud snoring can keep anyone who sleeps nearby from getting good rest. It's common for a partner to have to go to another room, or even to another floor of the house, to be able to sleep.
Complications of CSA can include:

Fatigue. The repeated awakening associated with sleep apnea makes typical, restorative sleep impossible. People with central sleep apnea often have severe fatigue, daytime drowsiness and irritability.

You might have difficulty concentrating and find yourself falling asleep at work, while watching television or even while driving.

Cardiovascular problems. Sudden drops in blood oxygen levels that occur during central sleep apnea can adversely affect heart health.

If there's underlying heart disease, these repeated multiple episodes of low blood oxygen — known as hypoxia or hypoxemia — worsen prognosis and increase the risk of irregular heart rhythms.
ResMed Lumis Tx - VAuto mode