Help, swallowing air, air leaks, etc

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mfsanjose

Help, swallowing air, air leaks, etc

Post by mfsanjose » Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:49 pm

Hi,
Thank you for being here. I have been struggling with CPAP since July. My doctor originally set me up with a full face mask. I am a bit claustrophobic and spent many nights awake, sitting on the floor so I didn't disturb my husband, waiting to hit the 4-hour mark so I could take off the mask and fall asleep. When I finally saw my doctor, he prescribed the nasal pillows but I was told that the insurance company wouldn't approve a change in mask until December so I bought supplies through Amazon. I have a small and a medium set of nasal pillows which I have been trying to use. I also got a head gear thing to keep my mouth closed. I have tried and tried to get fitting help through the local supplier who will send me supplies in December but they told me they are not authorized to touch patients and that all I can do is try out different alternatives at home. The problem is, whether I use the small or the medium, I wake up with air leaks. The past two nights, I have ingested so much air I am very uncomfortable - belching and farting... I have also driven my husband out of bed. He is sleeping in the guest room. I find myself getting depressed because I don't think I am not sleeping as well as I was before I started using the CPAP but I'm worried about the side effects of not using it. Can anyone give me any pointers in what I can try? Thank you so much.

Julie

Re: Help, swallowing air, air leaks, etc

Post by Julie » Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:09 pm

Have you looked at fitting videos on YouTube? There are a bunch that should be helpful.

mfsanjose

Post by mfsanjose » Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:00 pm

I have watched a few. When I got the machine and called the company asking how I was going to learn to use it, I was told to watch YouTube videos. One pointed me to a template to cut out and use to see which size pillow was better. It indicated that the small was better but I have actually had more issues with it. If you have a video you found particularly helpful, please send me the link. Thank you.

dataq1

Post by dataq1 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:27 am

Hi,
Do you know why your doctor initially prescribed a full face mask? Is it perhaps because you have a tendency to occasionally breath through your mouth when you are sleeping?
"THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ON CPAPTALK.COM IS NOT INTENDED NOR RECOMMENDED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE."