Air ‘push’ during moments where I don’t breath

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cosmiclug

Air ‘push’ during moments where I don’t breath

Post by cosmiclug » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:08 pm

My last machine had this feature, where if my exhaled, but didn’t take a breath within a very short amount of time, it would give me a sizable “push“ of air to encourage me to inhale. I have one of the dreamstation (original version with the foam removed)… and my AHI score is very high. I’m wondering if there’s a way to set up the dream station to do that same thing? (Send a push of air when I fail to inhale)

You might be asking how I know that it does this if I’m asleep? I was told by one of the Sleep technicians that the machine provided this option… So I tested it by putting the mask on, then exhaling without taking in a breath, and I felt that big push of air to get me to inhale.

I don’t think this machine does that, and I’m wondering if there’s a way to set it up to do so?

Pugsy

Re: Air ‘push’ during moments where I don’t breath

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:20 pm

It depends on exactly which model DreamStation you have now.
Unless it is the ASV model....no there is zero way to set up the other models to force a breath.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

cosmiclug

Post by cosmiclug » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:13 pm

Thank you very much for your reply. This is the original dream station. Not the dream station 2.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:18 pm

There are more than just one model of the original DreamStation model line (several different models available) but if it doesn't say "ASV" somewhere on the machine then it isn't that model and the only model that will force a breath is the ASV.

When in doubt...there is a reference number or model number on the bottom of the blower unit.
If it isn't somewhere in the 900s it's not an ASV.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

cosmiclug

Post by cosmiclug » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:36 pm

Thank you very much.

I don't see anything on this machine that says "ASV". The reference number starts with DSX 500 T11C… And the serial number starts with J1902.

So, you have helped me conclude that this machine does not do THAT particular thing… And it must've been the machine I had prior to this.

I wonder if there is a way to set the machine up to recognize when I'm not breathing and deliver a higher dose of forced air?

Either way, I appreciate your help very much.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:41 pm

The Philips Respironics System One Auto's algorithm would make a puff of air if you didn't take a breath soon enough. I don't think it was for the purpose of "encouraging you to inhale", but a way of checking to see if the airway was open. Still it did make me feel it was trying to get me to breathe in it's rhythm instead of my own, natural breathing rhythm. I HATED that feature, it was annoying and uncomfortable. I'm guessing this was carried over into the Dream Station 1 algorithm.

I love the ResMed 10 Autoset. If it does this, it's not perceptible. They algorithm is so smooth and comfortable.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:55 pm

cosmiclug wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:36 pm
I wonder if there is a way to set the machine up to recognize when I'm not breathing and deliver a higher dose of forced air
No. There is no way with that model machine to have it set to respond with a quick rapid burst of air to either blow past an obstructive apnea event or in the case of a central apnea where you simply aren't breathing to force you to breathe.

Now if you are having a lot of obstructive events you might have some success with setting a higher minimum pressure so that maybe it could do a better job of preventing the airway collapse in the first place but during the apnea event....it can't do anything and won't do anything during the event. Now it might increase it afterwards a little bit in an effort to better prevent the next event but that's about your only option and it works ONLY for obstructive apnea events.
It won't do a thing for central apnea events.

Are you using available software to see exactly what kind of events you are having?
Do you know about the software?
OSCAR is compatible with your machine. Link to it is a sticky on this page of the forum

Was your diagnosis central sleep apnea or obstructive sleep apnea or a mix of both? Important to know.

cosmiclug

Post by cosmiclug » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:09 pm

Thank you again for helping me with this. Your time is valuable, and that is not lost on me.

- It must've been the machine I had before this which had that feature.… And it "seemed "useful. I'm having trouble with (according to my user information) higher AHI than I'd like (though I understand this is not the best way to diagnose every problem)

All I know is that I rarely feel rested after a full night with the mask on, no apparent leaks, etc.

Frankly speaking, I don't recall what I was diagnosed with (it was 10 years ago).… And I've had a couple of machines since then.

Clearly it's time for another sleep study :-)

Currently I have the machine set with a minimum pressure of 10 and a maximum pressure of 17.

- with regard to various apps available for this and other machines; I'm an old person who worked in intelligence… And I'm really leery about companies extracting data from me (especially when the Bluetooth feature of the machine can enable it to connect to other devices in my wi-fi radius without my permission)… And I simply don't want people to have data they aren't entitled to.

I'm working on myself… Trying to take that skepticism out of the equation, but given my background, it's there (probably permanently)

… As I mentioned, I'm probably due for a sleep study :)

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:18 pm

As you wish but I am unable to offer any more ideas without having more information to go on.

Go get that sleep study and let them have all your data.

Good luck.

It does sound like that your previous machine was the ASV model and that maybe now you are having central apneas because your current machine simply was never designed to deal with them but without more information I can't say for sure and I don't want to go telling you something that might cause even more problems for you....so I won't.

ozij

Post by ozij » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:00 am

cosmiclug wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:09 pm
Thank you again for helping me with this. Your time is valuable, and that is not lost on me.
- with regard to various apps available for this and other machines; I'm an old person who worked in intelligence… And I'm really leery about companies extracting data from me (especially when the Bluetooth feature of the machine can enable it to connect to other devices in my wi-fi radius without my permission)… And I simply don't want people to have data they aren't entitled to.
By not downloading a program that only saves data on your own computer, you're missing the data that you're entitled to.

Even as an old person who worked in intelligence, you should make sure you know the difference between bluetooth, wifi, and celluar communications, and which of those - if any - your machine uses . If you don't know, how will you protect yourself?

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023