what to do with old machine ?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
warrenle

what to do with old machine ?

Post by warrenle » Sat May 31, 2008 1:07 pm

My first CPAP was a respironics Remstar Pro2. It was just past it's 2 yr warranty and started acting up - air pressure uneven, Error code E25. My DME company just gave me a new machine. Is there a place to recycle these. I hate just throwing things away. Any suggestions?

les

Bearded_One

Post by Bearded_One » Sat May 31, 2008 2:20 pm

A broken CPAP machine is worthless. The plastic case might be made of a recyclable material, but the machine probably can't be recycled as it is. You might check with your DME to see if they can recycle it.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sat May 31, 2008 2:51 pm

I'm such a nosey ole broad. Curiosity would get the best of me and I would e-mail Respironics and ask what Error Code E25 was. I assume it is NOT just a simple matter of calibration or you would NOT have been given a new device. But ... like I say, curiosity. and, like you, I would prefer to recycle as to just toss in the landfills. Especially as I see our state filling up w/Canadian trash hauled in. Like we don't have enough of our own.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Sat May 31, 2008 4:44 pm

Error code E25;

E-25 ERR_DRIFT_FLOW_TOO_HIGH •Occluded or restricted pressure tube •Defective flow sensor •Replace Flow Tube •Replace Main PCA

Have you checked the tube?

Brenda

Post by Guest » Sat May 31, 2008 5:00 pm

I've checked everything I can check. What is the Main PCA?
It seems that replacing the Main PCA is the last response to most of the error codes.

les

ww

Post by ww » Sat May 31, 2008 5:25 pm

Anonymous wrote:I've checked everything I can check. What is the Main PCA?
It seems that replacing the Main PCA is the last response to most of the error codes.

les
It is the main Printed Card Assembly. Probably not cost effective unless you can get it wholesale and put it in yourself.

dsm

Post by dsm » Sat May 31, 2008 6:43 pm

It is possible a water droplet is in the internal pressure sensing tube & affecting the pressure readings.

Not an uncommon problem.

If it was me I'd remove the three screws holding the top on & check the line.

Good luck

DSM

PS you should get 5 good years use easily from one of those models.

D

PPS PCA is the main component board - they cost more than a good 2nd hand unit

PPPS Look at the disassemble units here to get some idea of what is inside

http://www.internetage.com/cpapinfo/
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

warrenle

Post by warrenle » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:57 am

Thanks for the replies - I will take the 3 screws off and see what there is to see.

Les

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:47 pm

Now you've got our curiosity up, you've got to be sure and let us know!!! Be neat, if it is a simple fix! And, honest soul that I am (obviously NOT), if I could fix it I wouldn't 'fess up to my DME. I'd just have me a nice backup/travel xPAP.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:59 pm

Keep it! Fix it if you can. Get a like unit and use it for parts.

If all else fails send it to me! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Lineman

Post by Lineman » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:55 pm

dsm wrote: PPS PCA is the main component board - they cost more than a good 2nd hand unit

Umm, just where would I go to get a PCA?

Would Respironics sell me the card or would they tell me to go to my DME supplier? I bet my DME supplier would just offer me a whole new "M series" machine. I would be interested in just the PCA for a Remstar APAP even if they cost a lot.

dsm

Post by dsm » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:36 pm

Lineman wrote:
dsm wrote: PPS PCA is the main component board - they cost more than a good 2nd hand unit

Umm, just where would I go to get a PCA?

Would Respironics sell me the card or would they tell me to go to my DME supplier? I bet my DME supplier would just offer me a whole new "M series" machine. I would be interested in just the PCA for a Remstar APAP even if they cost a lot.
Last edited by dsm on Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

warrenle

Post by warrenle » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:45 pm

So I took my machine apart. So that's what a PCA looks like! very pretty - all green and slivery. You can tell I know next to nothing about electronic stuff.
However, I took the three little hoses off - there was nothing obvious in them but a sent a blast of air through them. Tried taking other things apart just because I could, put it all back together - I didn't try it for a full night, but I think the air pressure problem is gone but now I have a nice little whiny wheeze sound. Didn't try it for the full night because I couldn't stand the sound of the motor. Hmmmmm. My understanding is that I can't deal directly with Respironics - have to go through my DME. I'm going to try to convince them to send it in, see if it can be fixed.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

les

mellabella

Post by mellabella » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:59 pm

...you could always see if these guys think they can refurbish it (i.e. will buy it from you to fix and resell):

http://www.secondwindcpap.com/

dsm

Post by dsm » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:00 pm

It is possible some dust of tissue ? or something is caught in the motor.

The motors can be dissasembled but it needs to be done by an engineer (or a good engineer wannabe )

I do have one older Remstar where the motor actually spinsagainst its housing - I haven't bothered to analyse why.

DSM