Exercises can cure Obstructive Sleep Apnea.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
crossfit

Post by crossfit » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:55 pm

Yeah, I noticed he hadn't been back either. If he really felt his exercises helped, I think he would have come back and defended himself. Certainly before the thread got too long and unfriendly he could have offered a freebie to a few of us or some such thing. But nope. Just pure spam. Funny he would have registered first. I guess he didn't know you could post unregistered.

mellabella

Post by mellabella » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:42 pm

rubberchimp wrote:
mellabella wrote:Can you come up with an exercise that will rearrange my bone structure and address my vaulted, high palate?
I hear that skateboarding and snowboarding can be particularly effective for rearranging bone structure... especially if you're bad at it

Check the many videos on YouTube to see examples!
You know, even as I was typing it, I just KNEW one of you wags was going to go there.....

(BTW, if I thought that would qualify me for some sort of miracle reconstructive surgery--like an MMA, only guaranteed to work--you better believe I'd be out there skateboarding drunk right now)

-SWS

Post by -SWS » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:44 pm

Curious if anybody happens to know the status of didgeridoo therapy.

The new people will think I'm kidding about this one. So HERE'S Google scholar returning hits on didgeridoo therapy.

I've never followed that issue. Is it a wash by now or do some credible researchers still think it holds promise? Any speculation why or how it might help with apnea? If it helps does it qualify as exercise?

I honestly don't have the slightest clue about that one. Never followed the general issue or the research...

rubberchimp

Post by rubberchimp » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:45 pm

rooster wrote: RC, I assume you just bounce back from spills on pavement?
No unfortunately, I get just as much enjoyment out of the pavement as anyone else

Luckily, I don't skateboard. I just enjoy browsing youtube for videos of people who skateboard (poorly) and perform other silly stunts likely to result in face trauma

rubberchimp

Post by rubberchimp » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:33 pm

-SWS wrote:Curious if anybody happens to know the status of didgeridoo therapy.

The new people will think I'm kidding about this one. So HERE'S Google scholar returning hits on didgeridoo therapy.

I've never followed that issue. Is it a wash by now or do some credible researchers still think it holds promise? Any speculation why or how it might help with apnea? If it helps does it qualify as exercise?

I honestly don't have the slightest clue about that one. Never followed the general issue or the research...
Yeah, I've seen research papers online claiming that it's effective in reducing AHI... that's what got me searching initially for exercises that mimic digeridoo use (I don't particularly want a digeridoo... will avoid getting one if I can ). I speculate that the additional exercise that your throat and tongue get from the circular breathing and embrochure have a positive effect on muscle tone, even when sleeping.

(someone pls correct me if I'm wrong here.. the following is based only on my observations & reading, take it with several grains of salt)

When you're inhaling during circular breathing, you've got your mouth closed off from your airway and under light pressure as you blow air out using your cheek muscles. The muscles responsible for closing off your mouth and keeping your airway open need to resist the pressure, and thus get a workout that they wouldn't otherwise experience.

You can experiment with this by filling your cheeks with air and breathing through your nose.. if you press gently on your cheeks, you can feel it gets harder to maintain a seal between your mouth and airway.. when the seal is broken, you get a snore-like snort from the back of your mouth as the air leaks back and your soft palate flutters against your tongue.

Exercises I've since seen for relief of OSA contain exactly this type of exercise, as well as a number of vocal techniques designed to exercise the tongue and other muscles.

As interesting as it might sound, I haven't found any studies yet about the effectiveness of these kinds of exercises... though maybe I just haven't tried the right search terms yet. I'd imagine the effectiveness varies largely between individuals, depending on the anatomy of the area involved in the obstruction. Probably no amount of vocal exercises will make a difference if you have a neck like Jabba The Hut

Anyway, I'm sure there are people on the forum who have been through all of this years ago... I'm just an enthusiastic n00b looking for answers I won't be dropping my CPAP any time soon and wouldn't recommend that anyone else do so without further information/qualified medical opinion.

Last edited by rubberchimp on Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crossfit

Post by crossfit » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:34 pm

Curious if anybody happens to know the status of didgeridoo therapy.
Nothing definitive. No research. Only speculation was based on circular breathing techniques and that shouldn't do anything as it really relates to the diaphram not the throat. However, we did come up with some nice ideas about making them.

Rich92109

Exercises can cure Obstructive Sleep Apnea.

Post by Rich92109 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:35 pm

Sorry I was so late getting back to you, but I was busy. Well, finally some response. What venom and vitriol! I noticed that not one of you, not one, said that you tried my exercises and they didn't work for you. Not even someone else's exercises that didn't work for you. You mostly seem to be experts at HAVING sleep apnea but none of you have cured sleep apnea. Just so you know, I was tested for sleep apnea by Dr. Terence Davidson, head of the sleep apnea department at the University of California at San Diego Medical Group. It was Dr. Davidson who gave me a sleep monitor to take home and wear for 3 nights. The result, I was told, was that I woke up 44 times per hour and that there was no known cure. I was prescribed a CPAP machine. As I explained on my web site, I could not use the CPAP machine because it blew the mask off my face, so blocked was my air way. That was in 2001. After suffering for years with the results of my sleep apnea, I figured out six exercises that I believe have cured my sleep apnea. I returned to see Dr. Davidson and asked to be tested again for sleep apnea. I was told they no longer allow tests at home and that I'd have to spend several nights in their sleep clinic hooked up to monitors, which seemed like a lousy idea since I really can't sleep well except in my own bed. I then told Dr. Davidson that I thought I had cured my sleep apnea with exercises because all of my symptoms had disappeared. He snickered and walked out of the room. The intern assisting him listened to my story and wished me well.

Now, that is all I claim. I don't need a Doctor or tests to tell me I feel better. I found all of your comments useless and offensive and I will not return to this forum again. I thought there were thoughtful contributors among you, but I seem to have been mistaken. I've made my experience and the exercises available on my web site at a price that anyone can afford with a money back guarantee. What have any of you contributed to solving the problem, no matter how undocumented? Talk about living in the box. You poor souls.

I sleep just fine, its a shame you don't as well.

-SWS

Post by -SWS » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:47 pm

Thanks for the info rubberchimp and crossfit! I had been meaning to ask if anyone followed whatever came of the didgeridoo claim for quite some time now.

Wonder how tuba players fare with this disorder... Now there's some serious revenue potential for the tuba factories. Say, while we're on the subject did anybody ever follow what became of that claim about throat muscle cali$thenic$??? Wonder if that work$.
Last edited by -SWS on Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crossfit

Post by crossfit » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:06 pm

You know, that could be an interesting study - is there a higher, lower, or the same correlation between OSA and those who play wind instruments - particalurly the larger ones like tuba, didgeridoo, etc. Perfect for a grad school student looking to do an easy dissertation.

roster

Re: Exercises can cure Obstructive Sleep Apnea.

Post by roster » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:10 pm

Rich92109 wrote:.......I'd have to spend several nights in their sleep clinic hooked up to monitors, which seemed like a lousy idea since I really can't sleep well except in my own bed. ........
Several nights? Interesting.

It was a lousy idea for you to check into a sleep lab because it would show your sleep apnea hasn't improved and make marketing your exercises more difficult.

split_city

Post by split_city » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:32 pm

Rich92109 wrote: I was told they no longer allow tests at home and that I'd have to spend several nights in their sleep clinic hooked up to monitors, which seemed like a lousy idea since I really can't sleep well except in my own bed. I then told Dr. Davidson that I thought I had cured my sleep apnea with exercises because all of my symptoms had disappeared. He snickered and walked out of the room. The intern assisting him listened to my story and wished me well.
You must understand that people on this forum are pretty skeptical with your "cure," and they have good reason to be! Unfortunately, there is no easy cure for OSA. Your scientific proof is lacking. Simply saying you don't have OSA based on the fact your symptoms have disappeared is not proof. You do realise that there are loads of undiagnosed OSA patients because they don't suffer any symptoms?? Second of all, the highlighted part above states you "thought" you have cured your OSA. One minute you're saying you have cured yourself and now you're saying you think you have...which is it?

While your exercises might have merit, I just hope that OSA patients that try your exercises do not simply stop using their CPAP because some/all of their symptoms have disappeared. These patients need to have a full sleep study or perhaps home oximetry to confirm this. Why aren't you allowed to have tests at home?? You were using CPAP right? Why can't you find a lab which would allow you to take an autoset machine home?? Why don't you want to full sleep study for peace of mind, regardless of how badly you think you'll sleep?? If I was to come up with a potential cure of OSA, I would definately want to confirm whether I have cured it via a PSG and not by my own subjective measurements.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): CPAP

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): CPAP

Last edited by split_city on Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:37 pm

-SWS wrote:Thanks for the info rubberchimp and crossfit! I had been meaning to ask if anyone followed whatever came of the didgeridoo claim for quite some time now.

Wonder how tuba players fare with this disorder... Now there's some serious revenue potential for the tuba factories. Say, while we're on the subject did anybody ever follow what became of that claim about throat muscle cali$thenic$??? Wonder if that work$.
I'd rather invest my plastic pipe in making spud guns, at least playing them is more satifying unless you are a target.

No a Spud Gun won't operate from XPAP pressure, you need a compressure or other gas charge. Jim

I laid a $20 bill on the sidewalk the other night, it didn't cure me of apnea either, so I put it back in my pocket. I really don't need a cure, my XPAP treatment works just fine because I know I need it to work, and will do what I need to keep it working for me.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:40 pm

split_city wrote:
Rich92109 wrote: I was told they no longer allow tests at home and that I'd have to spend several nights in their sleep clinic hooked up to monitors, which seemed like a lousy idea since I really can't sleep well except in my own bed. I then told Dr. Davidson that I thought I had cured my sleep apnea with exercises because all of my symptoms had disappeared. He snickered and walked out of the room. The intern assisting him listened to my story and wished me well.
You must understand that people on this forum are pretty skeptical with your "cure," and they have good reason to be! Unfortunately, there is no easy cure for OSA. Your scientific proof is lacking. Simply saying you don't have OSA based on the fact your symptoms have disappeared is not proof. You do realise that there are loads of undiagnosed OSA patients because they don't suffer any symptoms?? Second of all, the highlighted part above states you "thought" you have cured your OSA. One minute you're saying you have cured yourself and now you're saying you think you have...which is it?

While your exercises might have merit, I just hope that OSA patients that try your exercises do not simply stop using their CPAP because some/all of their symptoms have disappeared. These patients need to have a full sleep study or perhaps home oximetry to confirm this. Why aren't you allowed to have tests at home?? You were using CPAP right? Why can't you find a lab which would allow you to take an autoset machine home?? Why don't you want to full sleep study for piece of mind, regardless of how badly you think you'll sleep?? If I was to come up with a potential cure of OSA, I would definately want to confirm whether I have cured it via a PSG and not by my own subjective measurements.
He dosen't need proof, he just needs $20. Jim

Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

crossfit

Post by crossfit » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:49 pm

I'd rather invest my plastic pipe in making spud guns, at least playing them is more satifying unless you are a target.
LOL. My hubby and son made one of these once. But I don't think that it would help my apnea.

To be honest, I don't think that exercises are all bad. They probably can help. But having to pay $20 bucks with a promise that I get it back if I am not happy doesn't work. I have had way too many friends get ripped off by paying for something with a credit card online and then not getting their money back when they ask for it.

As for this guys exercises? They may be fine. But he really couldn't hear us in wanting data to prove it. He really should have another PSG. If he can prove it, then not only will we listen to him, but so will the doctors and and many others.

No one wants to sleep with a hose attached to their nose. But no one wants to be ripped off either. Asking for proof of his cure is not asking to much. Without proof of his cure, asking for other research data or other credentials is not too much to ask. I researched CPAP before starting that too. I believe many of us have.

rubberchimp

Post by rubberchimp » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:53 pm

Honestly Rich92109, I'm glad you've found something that works for you.. but most people will take more convincing than just a handful of cute success stories. PSG reports are the gold standard, of course - If you're unwilling to put up with a few nights in a sleep lab to put your cure to the test, then I don't see why anyone else should have any confidence in it.

Regardless, I'm sure that optimism and blind faith will earn you their share of sales and testimonials...