What's the best movie ever created?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:47 am

I've watched "Liberty Valence" about 400 times, and never been able to sit all they way through it yet. I've just seen it in bits and pieces. In fact, I didn't even know what the heck it WAS, just another boring western, and then Mom said "Oh, that's The Man who Shot Liberty Valence" after watching it for 30 seconds.

Not a John Wayne fan.

But I watch "Shepherd of the Hills" every single freakin' time it comes on. There are always exceptions to the rule. Hmmmm... Might just have to buy it, it's that good....

Oh, and I admit a weakness for Howard Kiel musicals. "7 Brides for 7 Brothers" just gets me in my girl-spot. Sigh!

Edward Norton has recently become my favorite actor. Very grateful that "The Illusionist" is on heavy rotation on cable right now.

Oh, and one more. Anyone watch The History Channel? I have friends in "Boone & Crockett: The Hunter Heroes." I had to buy it so I could preserve forever my buddy Ginger getting massacred at Boonesborough over and over and over again. (Note: Yes, I do know that's Manskers Station impersonating Boonesborough - I've actually spent some time in that tavern doorway myself!) Oh, and, of course, ogle Mark Baker.

LOL,
Babs

-SWS

Post by -SWS » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:42 am

Cinema's roots are undeniably in theater. Could this be Shakespeare's theater?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/08/07/s ... index.html

How's that for a cool archaeological discovery?

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:03 am

Mel Brook's Blazing Saddles,

the campfire scene
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

goose
Location: The left coast - CA... If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!

Post by goose » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:05 am

" 'scuse me while I whip this out"........

Priceless......

cheers
goose

-the Dalai Lama

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:40 am

Oh dear.... I'm afraid I'll have to rent that movie now.

So you're saying, when guys say that to me on a date, I'm supposed to LAUGH and think they are cute to be quoting Mel Brooks, not run screaming to the police?

My apologies to all the nice Mel Brooks fans I've had incarcerated over the years.

LOL,
Babs

Captain_Midnight

Interesting O T

Post by Captain_Midnight » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:34 pm

Well, this is wayyy O. T. (and apparently spam-induced) but it is interesting.

The best film(s) are, of course, in the eye of the beholder.

My top three are The Caine Mutiny, Casablanca, and Invasion of the Body Snatchers. The last one is surprising to some, however the suspense of the entire (low budget) film kept it's edge on superb acting and dialog.

Many other good ones. Rio Bravo is close to the top.

IMHO, today's films would never come close to the quality of some older ones. Most contemporary films have too little characterization, too many scene cuts, an over-reliance on special effects, and even if it's a good film, the screen play is often ruined with P.C. political instruction that should have nothing to do with the script.

Country4ever

Post by Country4ever » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:39 pm

These are more recent ones.......

Trip to Bountiful
Babette's Feast
Master and Commander
The English Patient

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:58 pm

Me likee Babette's Feast! Just chomped it up, in fact! (lunchtime)

You'd think I'd have watched it, along with all it's sister films, but somehow I can't seem to do it. I rent it, then say "I'm not in the mood to read a movie tonight."

Maybe I'll try again.

Only new movie I've seen in recent years that really got me was Juno. LOVE that film! Everything else is just a way to kill 2-3 hours in the air conditioning when it's too freakin' hot in my house during the summer.

Master and Commander was really well done. I'm not a huge O'Brian fan, but I've read some of his stuff and enjoyed it. And, as usual, I knew people involved in the production. We're everywhere! We're everwhere!

If you like Master and Commander, try READING Patrick O'Brian's novels:
http://www.wwnorton.com/pob/pobhome.htm

If you like THOSE, then try George MacDonald Fraser. The only problem with Fraser is he's completely un-filmable. The only Flashman movie I've ever seen was so pitiful. Really missed the whole point. It's a nuance that doesn't film well, I guess.

Flashman RULES:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashman

Of course, he's definitely an acquired taste. First novel in the series I threw back in the face of the lender with a fair amount of spittle. I was forced to read "Great Game" (practically at gunpoint, I might add) and it was DISTURBING. And I kept whimpering to my Jailor about that. He noted: "Clearly it's well written. You are having the exact same reaction to the news of the atrocities committed during that war that the English woman you are portraying had when she learned of them." Brought me up short. Finished the book, and developed an appreciation for Fraser.

(English woman I was portraying was a real historical figure - Mary S. Moody. She had friends who died in the mutiny. Her husband was a Royal Engineer. They were stationed in the wilds of what was soon to be British Columbia: http://www.royalengineers.ca/MoodyMS.html)

Also read this novella "The Candlemass Road " - non-Flashman. Very nice indeed: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_MacDonald_Fraser

And then, when you've exhausted those two, try Winston Graham, and his Poldark Series: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poldark

Which naturally leads - if you're a girl - to Diana Gabaldon:
http://www.its.caltech.edu/~gatti/gabal ... aldon.html

Love the Outlander Series, and the Lord John series. Haven't read anything else.

LONG LIVE JAMIE FRASER!

Ooops... Am I hijacking this thread?

LOL,
Babs

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:31 pm

The best movie in my opinion is Dirty Dancing with Patrick Swayze -- love that guy!!!!! I paid to touch the black car he drove in Dirty Dancing -- yea I know my kids said I was nuts -- but who cares!!

Let's see -- Roadhouse, Next of Kin, Black Dog, can't forget Ghost, -- just seeing Patrick Swayze is great -- who cares about the story line!!!!

Then we have Kurt Russell in Escape from New York -- another hot hunk!!!

Love his movies as well!!!
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:54 pm

Anonymous wrote::lol: Not a John Wayne fan.
Oh Horrors, Now that is sacrilegious!!!!!!!!!!!! My idol and hero!!!!!!!!!! Babs, how could you?

Jerry

I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS

bigk

Post by bigk » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:50 pm

I do like anything by Mel Brooks with Blazing Saddles at the top of the list.

Resmed H3i Humidifier
Swift FX
Mirage Swift LT Nasal Pillows
Activa Nasal Mask
Resscan Software with USB + Data Card
SPO 7500 Pulse-Ox
MedicMon Blood Pressure Monitor
Aussie Heated Hose

rubberchimp

Post by rubberchimp » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:02 pm

I'm not certain that I've even seen the best movie ever made, but Fight Club is certainly a personal favourite. I first saw it years after it's cinematic debut and I'd mostly forgotten the ads I'd seen (they put me on totally the wrong track about the movie anyway).

The movie sucked me in, made me wonder what was going on and what would happen next.. kept me enthralled in the rollercoaster ride all the way. Many people condemn it as a teenage boys' violence fantasy, but I'd say they didn't pay a lot of attention and slept through everything but the fight scenes. It keeps me coming back to enjoy Tyler Durden's story and ponder the questions it raises... plus it's a load of outrageous, occasionally offensive fun.

For sheer, harmless entertainment value, I gotta say The Fifth Element ranks pretty highly too... Zorg has gotta be the best/worst villain ever ;P

BadBreath

Post by BadBreath » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:24 pm

Unforgiven - works on so many levels...

Leon: The Professional - and almost anything with Gary Oldman...

The Fifth Element - another Luc Besson film with Gary Oldman again (the aforementioned Zorg) and introducing Natalie Portman...

12 Monkeys - Terry Gilliam film better than Brazil...

Bubba Ho-tep - what can I say...

goose
Location: The left coast - CA... If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!

Post by goose » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:02 pm

One that always comes to mind for a really good performance is the "Wrath of Khan" in the Star Trek series. (it's actually the last ST movie I watched....sequels usually suck, and after The Wrath of Khan, I couldn't see any way they were going to top it......)

Ricardo Montalban should have gotten an Oscar for that performance.....

I liked all 6 of the Star Wars series and like all 4 of the Indiana Jones series....
The Longest Day is probably the best "war movie" made -- especially if you consider the people who were in it.....(like who of that era wasn't??)

Not much of a JW fan myself....only man ever killed in every American war....
And I got totally burned out on westerns in Vietnam (played a western every other night -- too much!!!) though I have to say the Clint Eastwood spaghetti western flicks were pretty good.....

BUT, all that said, if I was to be banished to an island with one movie it would have to be Blazing Saddles.....

Music?? Now that would be a tough one!!!!!

cheers
goose

-the Dalai Lama

rubberchimp

Post by rubberchimp » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:14 pm

BadBreath wrote:Unforgiven - works on so many levels...

Leon: The Professional - and almost anything with Gary Oldman...

The Fifth Element - another Luc Besson film with Gary Oldman again (the aforementioned Zorg) and introducing Natalie Portman...
Mebbe ye edited your message badly there.. the lovely Miss Portman was in The Professional, not the Fifth Element. Although I'll be glad to accept her if it means she has to wear Leeloo's thermal bandage costume
BadBreath wrote: 12 Monkeys - Terry Gilliam film better than Brazil...
Both movies were wonderfully bizarre! Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is another - loved Johnny Depp's performance. I don't really know HST enough to say how accurate it was, but it was extremely entertaining.