my new (to me) S8 Elite

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
freedive57

my new (to me) S8 Elite

Post by freedive57 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:21 am

AHI 18.5, AI 4.5, HI 14.0

I went into the clinical menu and there was a menu item for SmartStart but no option to enable it (It should say "change " in the lower left of the screen like all the other options but it don't; i like gadgets, so I'm mildly disappointed, but o well).

Should have thought to replace the filter before using it, didn't know previous owner was a smoker - stink?! in my mask! but too drowsy while sleeping to understand why... on awakening I found the filter was dark grey... yuck.

I set "auto appear" to ON but what is supposed to appear? I didn't see any data on screen after waking up, and had to go into the clinical menyu to get the AHI data.

Menu says SW SX 396 0202

Is that my software version?
Last edited by freedive57 on Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
We'll laugh about this someday; we might as well start now.

pianomagoo

Re: first night on S8 Elite

Post by pianomagoo » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:35 am

freedive57 wrote:AHI 18.5, AI 4.5, HI 14.0

I went into the clinical menu and there was a menu item for SmartStart but no option to enable it (It should say "change " in the lower left of the screen like all the other options but it don't; i like gadgets, so I'm mildly disappointed, but o well).

Should have thought to replace the filter before using it, didn't know previous owner was a smoker - stink?! in my mask! but too drowsy while sleeping to understand why... on awakening I found the filter was dark grey... yuck.

I set "auto appear" to ON but what is supposed to appear? I didn't see any data on screen after waking up, and had to go into the clinical menyu to get the AHI data.

Menu says SW SX 396 0202

Is that my software version?

Freedive,

I also have an S8 Elite. You are in the regular menu. The smart start is for whether you want your air pressure to start automatically when you put your mask on or if you would rather put your mask on first, then start it manually by pushing the button.

SW SX 306 0202 I believe is the data card serial number for the S8 Elite. I have the same number.

On this main menu you can input the name of the mask you are using and see how many hours you have in usage. You can also use the EPR or the Ramp settings.
The ramp is only useful if you have very high settings and you can set it to how many minutes you prefer. I don't use it. The EPR settings are Off, 1, 2, or 3.

Just remember if you use the EPR (for expiratory) a setting of 1 will lower your set pressure by at least 1 cm. A setting of 2 will lower your set pressure at least 2cm and a setting of 3 will lower set pressure to about 3 cm. This can be a problem if your set (prescribed) pressure is low to begin with. It is best used with higher set pressures, in my opinion.

If you want to see how many apneas (AI), Hypopneas (HI), or total of AI and HI = AHI, of the four buttons above the start/stop button, hold the left and the right buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds. This will bring you out to the Efficacy Data menu. To the left push "enter"

Now you will see what pressure you are getting, no matter what your set pressure says on the main menu when you turn on your machine. Now press arrow down for Leaks. Arrow down again for AHI (this is total of AI and HI). For AI (apneas) press arrow down again. Repeat pushing arrow down for HI (hypopneas).

You have to check the "Efficacy data before noon as it will disappear at noon." You can check your result every morning, as long as you do it before noon.

If you want the software to get a little more info you need to purchase it along with a card reader and data card. You can do this at cpap.com. If your computer is vista, the software will not be compatible, so you will have to contact Resmed support in Australia to get the software upadate for Vista. You do need to purchase the software online first, that will probably be the ResScan ver 3.3, then contact resmed tech support in Australia for the updated ver 3.5.

I have no idea when cpap.com will start carrying the ver 3.5.

I think you will be happy for the time being to be able to get the Efficacy data which gives you the AHI, AI and HI. That should hold you until you are more familiar with the unit and with cpap therapy in general. Most people on here get the software sometime after they begin therapy.

The first month will be the toughest but keep on keepin on....

Did you not get a new S8 Elite? If it was supposed to be new it shouldn't have a dirty filter. I hope you kept the filter to show the dme.

Anne

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:45 am

Get a NEW filter for that Elite ASAP! That dirty filter is going to shorten the working lifetime of the Elite if you don't keep a fresh new filter in there as needed. Resmed says every 6 months for a new filter but it really depends on your environment. I check my filter once a month and usually replace it w/in 60 days. We have dogs and cats and had a furnace add-on woodburner for 20 years. Despite having the furnace ducts cleaned that filter sure does pick up dust and hair fast!!!!

KansaRT had gotten a loaner auto back from a smoker and she posted on here asking how to remove the smoking odor. You might try a search to see what remedies were recommended to remove the smoking odor from the device.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

freedive57

Post by freedive57 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:10 am

pianomagoo wrote:
freedive57 wrote:
I went into the clinical menu and there was a menu item for SmartStart but no option to enable it

Freedive,

I also have an S8 Elite. You are in the regular menu. ...
Did you not get a new S8 Elite? If it was supposed to be new it shouldn't have a dirty filter. I hope you kept the filter to show the dme.

Anne
Thanks, Anne!

I'm confused about you saying I was in the regular menu.

I was in the clinical menu last night and this morning because I was able to see efficacy data.

I found the efficacy data already before I posted this morning: AHI 18.5, AI 4.5, HI 14.0

It was in the clinical menu that there was an item for smartstart but no way to enable it.

This is a used machine from a private sale, hence the smoker stink. I have replaced the filter.

RiverDave

Post by RiverDave » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:01 am

freedive,

The reason you don't see an option to change it is due to the mask setting you have selected for the machine. If a full facemask is selected, the smartstart is automatically disabled and therefore cannot be changed.

I just tried this on my machine. I had mine set to "mir full" and smartstart did not have a change button. I changed the mask setting to a nasal mask (Activa) and the smartstart then has the change option.

freedive57

SECOND night on S8 Elite

Post by freedive57 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:37 am

Last night I enabled the leak alert and I woke up 3 or 4 times last night with the alarm going off, and each time I wasn't breathing. So I started breathing again and the alarm stopped.

I had really vivd dreams, in color.

I was having trouble falling asleep because I wasn't ramping for long enough, but that's fixed.

When I look at efficacy data, I see "Press 12.0" even though I have the machine set to ramp from 5-13.

Leak 0.84L/s that sounds real high to me. last night it was .75; but I don't feel or hear any mask leak so I dunno.

The machine still runs , very very softly, in the morning, after I turn it off. So I unplugged it to save electricity, and save wear on the motor.I went back an hour later, plugged it in again to review that data and it wasn't running anymore at that soft flow. My guess is that's an automatic feature to remove condensation from the hose/mask?

Last night efficacy data was AHI 18.5, AI .1.9., and HI 16.6

RiverDave wrote:freedive,

I changed the mask setting to a nasal mask (Activa) and the smartstart then has the change option.
Thanks , Riverdave... I tried every mask in the list and none of them enable SmartStart as an option. Oh Well. it just means pushing a button.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:59 am

Interesting. Higher leak rate, lower AI, same AHI. Shows to go you the need to collect several nights of data before making changes based on one night's data.

Betchya your high leak rate is due to lip leaks, the "lip flutters".

Ramp at 5 takes some time to build up in .2 cm increments to 13 cms. How much time did you allow for Ramp? That would lower your 95% reported pressure.

You don't need to go into the Clinicians Menu to see the Efficacy Data. If SmartData is turned On, then you can access the Efficacy and Usage data via the advanced patient menu by pressing the Left and Right buttons and holding for 3-4 seconds.

I've never liked the SmartStart option and have always turned it Off. It takes too long to decide to shut off and I manage a high enough leak rate on my own w/o the help of SmartStart.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

freedive57

third night on 2nd hand S8 Elite ... "sleep lust"

Post by freedive57 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:08 am

Slinky wrote:Interesting. Higher leak rate, lower AI, same AHI. Shows to go you the need to collect several nights of data before making changes based on one night's data.

OK, thanks, Slinky, I am now getting the efficacy data the easy way as you suggested.

I probably do lip flutter... like a didgeridoo player without the didgeridoo, I'm sure. Time for tape or the upper lip appliance I read about somethwere here.

I raised the starting pressure for the ramp to 8 and the max pressure to 14 last night, because I don't want to wait a week between changes , I want to feel better sooner. This may be a mistake, but we'll see. Are there any horror stories of people here changing pressures too rapidly and getting into trouble?

After all, during a titration, doesn't the sleep tech change pressures throughout the night? That's even faster than once a day like I'm doing. Granted, that's a controlled environment with trained professionals and all, but still.
I know, I know, "kids, don't try this at home; Mr. Science knows more than you... he has a *Master's Degree*!"

Ah So desu ka ... the numbers in context:

night one 8/15-8/16:
EPR 3 ramp 5-13x15 min pressure unk leak .74L/s AHI 18.5 AI 4.5 HI 14.0 8.3 hours use

during day 8/16: a little sleepy

night two 8/16-8/17:
EPR 3 ramp 5-13x20 min pressure 12.0 leak .84L/s AHI 18.5 AI 1.9 HI 16.6 7.08 hours use
VIVID dreams in color; awoke several times to leak alarm going off, noticed I wasn't breathing. Started breathing and alarm stopped.

during day 8/17: burst of energy at 2 pm, energy crash but not drowsy at 4, sleep lust hit at 10Pm as I got in the door after work

night three 8/17-8/18:

EPR 3 ramp 8-14 x20 min pressure 12.8 leak .94L/s AHI 14.7 AI 1.3 HI 13.4 7.12 hours use
slept pretty soundly; awoke twice to dry mouth; closed lips, ran tongue around in mouth to get saliva started. VIVID dreams. pleasantly drowsy on awakening

Gravydog

Re: my new (to me) S8 Elite

Post by Gravydog » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:21 pm

Hi, I have just used my S8 Autoset Vantage for the first time and here it is midafternoon and I'm not sleepy! I found in playing with the settings that Smart Start can't be enabled if Leak Alert is on. I guess you just have to choose.

Rob

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:00 pm

Oooops! Yer right. I forgot about not being able to have both SmartStart and LeakAlert on at the same time as I don't use either one. I especially dislilke SmartStart. Color me red-faced.

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:18 pm

your pressure based upon your AHI is 15 cm.

Use of EPR by what ever setting you are using will subtract from that "somewhat", meaning your AHI may be a bit higher using EPR but if SDB events persist that feature is disabled (machine detects events and starts lowering EPR setting including disabling it until events subside before enabling it again). But just like an autopap it that feature can allow a few more events to get by before that disabling occurs.

But you have to weigh the good with the bad, if your are having difficulty tolerating that 15 cm pressure then allow your AHI to rise a bit for the comfort. You are at a threshold to start considering a bilevel machine (my opinion).

I would set your Ramp pressure to 7 cm and 30 minute duration. It increases pressure every 5 minutes so do the math there will be 6 pressure increases before you get to the 15 cm pressure. Use a EPR at 3 and you will be essentially getting 12 cm pressure (preemptive treatment pressure).
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

freedive57

Post by freedive57 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:22 am

I changed the pressure by 1 cm/H2O every day until I settled on 8 as the setting that gives the lowest AHI.

I disabled EPR and am running straight CPAP; I don't notice any need for EPR at 8 whereas 14 was pretty tough sledding without EPR.

Last night's settings: ramp 6-8 x 20 minutes, no EPR; efficacy and usage data:

pressure 8.0

leak .54L/s

AHI 0.6

AI 0.0

HI 0.6

use: 6:36 hours

I am getting a lot more done these days, and have a sense of humour again.