sore throat with seeping turbo

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
wishful sore-throat

sore throat with seeping turbo

Post by wishful sore-throat » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:02 am

Hi. I was diagnosed to have central sleep apnea about 2 weeks ago.

First I was given an auto titration machine for about a week, then it was changed to CPAP.
I use a nose mask and the boost pressure was set to 12 cm water.
At first all went somewhat well, except that I was still quite tired.

In the last couple of days things have been turning sour: I can't sleep with the CPAP more than about 4 hours.
After that I wake up for extremely dry throat. Swallowing hurts. All gets OK after a few glasses of water an about 10 min time, except that I can't continue sleeping with the CPAP, because my throat gets sore within tens of seconds. After waking up my throat feels as if stretched by the pressure. My nose is OK.

My wife told me that at some point before waking up I open my mouth little and let the pressure out.

Is the boost pressure too high or am I going to get used to it.

roster

Re: sore throat with seeping turbo

Post by roster » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:22 am

wishful sore-throat wrote:........

My wife told me that at some point before waking up I open my mouth little and let the pressure out.
You need to address this issue. The answer for me was a full face mask. I like the Hybrid mask, http://www.respcare.com/hybrid/index2.htm .

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

turbosnore

Post by turbosnore » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:45 am

I guess I have to check mask types that cover my mouth too and hybrid looks like attractive alternative.
What about the pressure? Has anyone had same kind of problems?

By the way, after writing a message as "wishful sore-throat" I decided to register.

roster

Post by roster » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:07 am

turbosnore wrote: I guess I have to check mask types that cover my mouth too and hybrid looks like attractive alternative.
What about the pressure? .........
10 cm is considered mid range pressure so 12 is only slightly high. I think 14 and up are considered high and sometimes difficult to manage pressures. In my experience, the Hybrid can easily handle 12 cm.

If you decide to try a Hybrid, we can help with the adjustments.

Thanks for registering.

Good luck.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

nightjar

Post by nightjar » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:26 am

turbosnore wrote:By the way, after writing a message as "wishful sore-throat" I decided to register.
Tervetuloa, Turbosnore!

You may be the first Finn in this forum. (I'm only 1/4 Finnish. But we're big fans of Mikko Hirvonen and Aki Kaurismaki here in our little house in Wisconsin!)

I remember the sore-throat feeling from way back when I started on CPAP. Eventually I learned to keep my mouth shut (surprisingly), but lots of folks can't do that, and they'll chime in with some good remedies and mask ideas.

By the way . . . what part of Finland are you from? And what kind of machines are available there? Anything different than the usual fare over here (Respironics, ResMed, Puritan-Bennett, Fisher-Paykel, AEIOmed)?

Good luck with your CPAP!

Nath

turbosnore

Post by turbosnore » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:03 am

nightjar wrote:
turbosnore wrote:By the way, after writing a message as "wishful sore-throat" I decided to register.
Tervetuloa, Turbosnore!

You may be the first Finn in this forum. (I'm only 1/4 Finnish. But we're big fans of Mikko Hirvonen and Aki Kaurismaki here in our little house in Wisconsin!)

I remember the sore-throat feeling from way back when I started on CPAP. Eventually I learned to keep my mouth shut (surprisingly), but lots of folks can't do that, and they'll chime in with some good remedies and mask ideas.

By the way . . . what part of Finland are you from? And what kind of machines are available there? Anything different than the usual fare over here (Respironics, ResMed, Puritan-Bennett, Fisher-Paykel, AEIOmed)?

Good luck with your CPAP!

Nath
Most refreshing welcome, Kiitos!

To your questions:

I was born in a little but old town, Rauma (founded in 1442), about 90 km north from Turku.
Now I live in Nokia which is about 25 km west from Tampere (where I work).

I'm not yet familiar with the machines available here, but I guess I can cast some light on this
once I get my registration in a Finnish site completed. (I heared they have a little resource shortage.)

Well, both the titration machine and the CPAP I have now has been ResMed machines.
They both were lent to me for free by the sleep clinic of the local university hospital, so I had no choises.
I guess the system here is a bit different. I could, of course, buy my own machine, but I guess I'll give this one
a chance first. Maybe later on I'll buy myself my own machine to be able to use analysis SW with it.

To my questions:

Did you suffer from very dry throat?
Did your throat feel sore like it was stretched from the inside through the whole night?
The funny thing is that my nose hasn't been feeling uncomfortably dry.

You said you are 1/4 Finnish, from which corner of Finland are your 1/4-relatives from?

TerryB

Post by TerryB » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:34 am

Hi Turbosnore,
In my quick look through the thread(I'm at the office), I didn't see anyone come right out and explain what your problem is.
Your open mouth is completely defeating the therapy by letting the air leak from your airway instead of pressurizing your closed airway.
There are several ways to address the problem, among which are the full face masks, mouth taping, chin straps, mouth pieces.
If you click on the light bulb at the top of the page or search on mouth breathing, mouth leaking, you'll find lots of reading on dealing with the problem.
You must take action to rid yourself of the sore throat AND allow the therapy to help you rest properly.

Best of luck,
TerryB

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:40 pm

TerryB wrote:Your open mouth is completely defeating the therapy by letting the air leak from your airway instead of pressurizing your closed airway.
There are several ways to address the problem, among which are the full face masks, mouth taping, chin straps, mouth pieces.
If you click on the light bulb at the top of the page or search on mouth breathing, mouth leaking, you'll find lots of reading on dealing with the problem.
You must take action to rid yourself of the sore throat AND allow the therapy to help you rest properly.

Best of luck,
TerryB
I agree with Terry. Gotta get the mouth breathing and/or mouth air leaks under control if you're not using a "Full Face" mask. A FF mask covers mouth and nose together and lets you breathe your treatment through either route. However, you're still likely to get a very dry throat/mouth if you mouth breathe inside a FF mask. At least you'd be getting full treatment with a FF mask, though.

Do you have a heated humidifier with your machine? And do you turn the humidifier on?

Here's a link to many topics about the problems/solutions people have with mouth breathing or mouth air leaks:
LINKS to: Mouth leaks - Air Leaks - Tape - DIY Guard
viewtopic.php?t=8011
wishful sore throat now registered as turbosnore wrote:I was diagnosed to have central sleep apnea about 2 weeks ago.
In another thread you mentioned you've not received the reports from your sleep study. I'll be very interested to know if Central Sleep Apnea is the only diagnosis. Did they mention anything at all about Obstructive apneas? It's pretty unusual for a person to have primary Central Sleep Apnea. If that's what you have, there are more effective specialized treatment machines for Central Sleep Apnea than plain cpap, plain autopap, plain bipap.

Hope you can find out more soon about your diagnosis from the sleep study.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

nightjar

Post by nightjar » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:03 pm

turbosnore wrote:I was born in a little but old town, Rauma (founded in 1442), about 90 km north from Turku.

I'm not yet familiar with the machines available here, but I guess I can cast some light on this
once I get my registration in a Finnish site completed. (I heared they have a little resource shortage.)

Well, both the titration machine and the CPAP I have now has been ResMed machines.
They both were lent to me for free by the sleep clinic of the local university hospital, so I had no choises.
I guess the system here is a bit different. I could, of course, buy my own machine, but I guess I'll give this one
a chance first. Maybe later on I'll buy myself my own machine to be able to use analysis SW with it.

To my questions:

Did your throat feel sore like it was stretched from the inside through the whole night?

You said you are 1/4 Finnish, from which corner of Finland are your 1/4-relatives from?
It's been so long, turbosnore, since I started CPAP (almost 11 years), that I can't remember exactly how my throat felt. I do remember it feeling dry because I was mouth-breathing a lot, but I got over that.

Until just two weeks ago when I got my new BiPAP, I'd never had a humidifier, heated or otherwise. So I'm hoping that some of my constant nasal problems (minor, but constant) will be soothed by the heated humidifier with my RemStar BiPAP Auto. Time will tell. But I think my nose does feel better these days.

My grandmother's maiden name was Alitalo. She was born in Massachusetts not long after her parents came to the US. Before that her parents lived in Kotka. My great-grandfather was born in Toysa, the records say, and my great-grandmother was born in Karstula.

I wish I'd been nudged to learn Finnish when I was young. I know a few words, but not much of the language. I can pronounce things pretty well, though, and I'm really happy that my young son can pronounce Mikko Hirvonen's and Jari-Matti Latvala's names properly.

Good luck dealing with that sore throat!

Nath

turbosnore

Post by turbosnore » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:04 am

rested gal wrote:
TerryB wrote:Your open mouth is completely defeating the therapy by letting the air leak from your airway instead of pressurizing your closed airway.

Best of luck,
TerryB
I agree with Terry. Gotta get the mouth breathing and/or mouth air leaks under control if you're not using a "Full Face" mask. A FF mask covers mouth and nose together and lets you breathe your treatment through either route. However, you're still likely to get a very dry throat/mouth if you mouth breathe inside a FF mask. At least you'd be getting full treatment with a FF mask, though.

Do you have a heated humidifier with your machine? And do you turn the humidifier on?

Here's a link to many topics about the problems/solutions people have with mouth breathing or mouth air leaks:
LINKS to: Mouth leaks - Air Leaks - Tape - DIY Guard
viewtopic.php?t=8011
wishful sore throat now registered as turbosnore wrote:I was diagnosed to have central sleep apnea about 2 weeks ago.
In another thread you mentioned you've not received the reports from your sleep study. I'll be very interested to know if Central Sleep Apnea is the only diagnosis. Did they mention anything at all about Obstructive apneas? It's pretty unusual for a person to have primary Central Sleep Apnea. If that's what you have, there are more effective specialized treatment machines for Central Sleep Apnea than plain cpap, plain autopap, plain bipap.

Hope you can find out more soon about your diagnosis from the sleep study.
I don't know which was first, the sore throat or air leak through my mouth. I guess I have to try stopping the air leak
first and see if that helps with my throat. What I know about my sleep apnea, is due to the fact that the sleep clinic where my sleep study was made is part of a teaching hospital, and I was used as an example. I was there when the teaching doctor explained the curves to the students. Due to the medical jargon, I didn't understand all of it, but I got some idea. The transcript of the diagnosis was not done last time I was there, but I'm going there tomorrow. Maybe I get the report then.

Why I'm talking almost exclusively on central sleep apnea is that I'm afraid that it is the reason I let the air leak in my sleep. The other reason may be that I feel like the pressure does not let me exhale deep enough.

turbosnore

Post by turbosnore » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:23 am

nightjar wrote:
turbosnore wrote:I was born in a little but old town, Rauma (founded in 1442), about 90 km north from Turku.

To my questions:

It's been so long, turbosnore, since I started CPAP (almost 11 years), that I can't remember exactly how my throat felt. I do remember it feeling dry because I was mouth-breathing a lot, but I got over that.

Until just two weeks ago when I got my new BiPAP, I'd never had a humidifier, heated or otherwise. So I'm hoping that some of my constant nasal problems (minor, but constant) will be soothed by the heated humidifier with my RemStar BiPAP Auto. Time will tell. But I think my nose does feel better these days.

My grandmother's maiden name was Alitalo. She was born in Massachusetts not long after her parents came to the US. Before that her parents lived in Kotka. My great-grandfather was born in Toysa, the records say, and my great-grandmother was born in Karstula.

I wish I'd been nudged to learn Finnish when I was young. I know a few words, but not much of the language. I can pronounce things pretty well, though, and I'm really happy that my young son can pronounce Mikko Hirvonen's and Jari-Matti Latvala's names properly.

Good luck dealing with that sore throat!

Nath
How do you like the BiPAP? Maybe I should ask about such thing too. As I replied to "rested gal" I'm afraid that the pressure might make my exhaling difficult enough that in my sleep let the air leak. Maybe that might "teach" me to keep my breathing more regular too?

Now that you are härmäläinen by your kin, you might want to teach your son that word too .
Beware though, hämäläinen and häRmäläinen are different things. Hämäläinen is from Häme (middle finland: Tampere, lahti, jyväskylä, hämeenlinna) whereas härmäläinen is from pohjanmaa, northern finland (i think pohjanmaa is called Bothnia in english). Both Töysä and Karstula are in pohjanmaa near Seinäjoki (= Wall river in english).
One special word (a peculiarity really) you might want to teach him too is hääyöaie (it means something like wedding night attempt). Can you pronaunce it?

Oh, and "härmäläinen" is pronaunced more like "härrrrmäläinen" with slow sharp and banging "r".
If you are curious here are two links for you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical ... of_Finland
http://www.intute.ac.uk/sciences/worldg ... 2_map.html

By the way, I also have relatives (cousins, once removed) in US in both San Francisco and Seattle.