Sleep Number Bed

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tuna

Sleep Number Bed

Post by tuna » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:07 pm

I have only slept on it for 2 nights, but my AHI for those two have actually been below 2.5!!! It has been out of control, way out of control. It will take a while till I get a sleep number, still tuning!

Joe..

HOSEHEADS of America: Striving for that long lost good nights sleep!

Hawthorne

Re: Sleep Number Bed

Post by Hawthorne » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:53 pm

Please keep us posted!! The sleep number is looking like my next bed and sooner rather than later!

Thanks.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

SleepyJoeMS

Post by SleepyJoeMS » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:26 pm

I have only slept on it for 2 nights, but my AHI for those two have actually been below 2.5!!! It has been out of control, way out of control. It will take a while till I get a sleep number, still tuning!
I have had a sleep number bed for some time. King size. My wife likes it. I didn't so much at first. Had a lot of difficulty finding a number that was firm enough to support by bad lower back but not so firm it would keep me awake (like my previous overly firm custom made spring mattress did). I don't think this is what the thread is about, but I replaced the stock foam pillow top cushion with one of those memory foam kind of cushions. It's much better overall for me now and I just keep it set to 100 on my side. Just some input on my experience with the bed.

But my question is, what do you think is the relation between the sleep comfort bed and the improved AHI? Just a matte of better platform for sleeping? BTW, I had the bed sorted out before I joined the ranks of xPAP users in Sep 08.

Just curious - Joe

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:46 pm

Joe......

Do you have a "body heat" problem with the memory foam?

I've heard that some foam is uncomfortable because of heat build-up.

Please let us know your experience......

Gerald

SleepFast

Post by SleepFast » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:05 pm

I had a sleep number bed for about 10 years. I liked the bed, but it was very limiting as you have to sleep on one side or the other. In the middle you fall into a gap between the two air bladders. So having a king size was really like having two extra long twins. Very limiting if you sleep alone or want to use the middle for other purposes. I bought a regular coil mattress about a year ago and it is a nice change. It was about the same time I started realizing I had sleep apnea. But I don't think there was a correlation. I can't see how. I would be interested in some follow up.

encounter.

dieselgal

Post by dieselgal » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:38 pm

I have had the sleep number king for about 3 years and my husband and I really love it. His # is 85 and my # is 35 so you can see we would never be really happy with one mattress! What SLEEPFAST said is right about it being like 2 tall twins put together. The only thing he said that I don't experience is falling into a hole between the two. In our King there is a long thick foam piece that basically keeps the two bladders separate so it is a firm spot in the middle of our bed instead of a depression. I bought it thinking it would cure my sleepless nights and of course it didn't but we do still really like it. The only drawback would be for a couple that likes to snuggle a lot because it does kind of separate you.
I originally tried the memory foam mattress but it was just to hot for me. It made me sweat and have hot flashes. (not exactly what I wanted to help me sleep).

TheDreamer

Post by TheDreamer » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:45 pm

I don't have a problem sleeping in the middle of mine....actually I miss it, but my hose doesn't allow me to access the middle or the other side of the bed.

Of course, I only have a single chamber bed. I debated getting a dual chamber one, but so far that need hasn't happened yet.....

The Dreamer.

You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!

73 de W0LKC

Gerryk

Post by Gerryk » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:51 pm

Tuna did you mean your AHI was only two down from what? Or did you mean that it was down 2.5 from what it normally is?

tuna

Post by tuna » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:40 pm

I did have the (fake) memory foam matress, but it was part of the problem. Now I have a queen size dual chamber, but it is double zippered so I don't need the center divider..

My AHI was always in the 7's and 8's, because I always lyed thee awhile before getting to sleep and a while before I astually got out of bed, now I fall sleep fast and when I wake up I am able to get up..

HOSEHEADS of America: Striving for that long lost good nights sleep!

SleepyJoeMS

Post by SleepyJoeMS » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:13 pm

Do you have a "body heat" problem with the memory foam?

I've heard that some foam is uncomfortable because of heat build-up.

Please let us know your experience......
Gerald... no I don't have a body heat problem with the memory foam. Now I don't remember what brand it was, but it wasn't at Costco or or Tempurpedic, I think. It was a brand though that would be recognized if I could remember it. Ordered online and was shipped to us. Now that I think of it, I don't recall a heat problem with the stock foam either. For us it was just a general lack of comfort combined with the pillow top is was in. It really seemed like it degraded the otherwise intelligent, high-end concept of the bed.

We replaced the stock foam zippered inside the pillow top with the memory foam. Actually, at first I stuffed both foam cushions inside the pillow top thinking I would somehow maintain the original integrity of the mattress by retaining the stock foam on the top. Then I tried it with the memory foam on top. (is it just me or do some of us CPAPers have an ever so slight case of OCD )

Anyway, both foam cushions were a tight fit and ultimately overkill. Turned out the memory foam gave about the right recoil and cushion combined with the pillow top, which on our model really isn't that plush. IMHO the memory foam was definitely better than the original foam, the former conforming to my body contour better overall while providing more comfortable support.

We bought our sleep number bed about 5 years ago and I wonder if they have upgrades to the foam upfront, rather than having to change it out later?

Joe

nate fry

Post by nate fry » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:36 pm

I bought one of those and took a few weeks to get number right. But now I have it I love it and sleep like a baby. I was tired of getting ripped off buying those beds that broke down with the valley in the middle, what a great bed.
Nate

OCNorsk

Post by OCNorsk » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:41 pm

More than the sleep number bed I like the foundation that can be raised at the head. That has been the real benefit of the sleep number bed for me. It hasn't been the great help I had hoped as I still feel a lot of pressure on my shoulder and hip when I sleep. It is essentially an air mattress so there will still be places that will take the most pressure.