res med dc converter and insurance

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
takers

res med dc converter and insurance

Post by takers » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:22 pm

will insurance pay for res med dc 12 converter?

sleepyangler

Re: res med dc converter and insurance

Post by sleepyangler » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:35 pm

My insurance wouldn't and as you probably already know the resmed dc cord is ridiculously priced for what it is and compared to other brands.

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:30 pm

sleepyangler wrote:as you probably already know the resmed dc cord is ridiculously priced for what it is and compared to other brands.
There is no "other brand" that supplies a power management device which provides anywhere near the functionality of a DC-12, so what it is and compared to other brands is entirely meaningless. Its not just a power cord!

There are numerous threads here already that will tell you what a DC-12 does.

Cheers,

Bill

sleepyangler

Post by sleepyangler » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:38 am

Poppycock Bill but not entirely unexpected.

All the resmed dc cord does is allow one to hook up to a 12v dc battery and run the cpap w/o the humidifier, Nothing more and nothing less. All the other brands do the exact same thing at a fraction of the cost. There's nothing special about the resmed dc cord. Any other brand besides resmed and you can walk into a radioshack and buy the cord for < $25! There's a reason for that and it has nothing to do with the resmed dc cord doing anything special. What the resmed cord "does" is called price gouging and it is something the company has perfected to an art form. It's a shame I spent so much money before figuring that out for myself.

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:53 am

sleepyangler wrote:Poppycock Bill but not entirely unexpected.

All the resmed dc cord does is allow one to hook up to a 12v dc battery and run the cpap w/o the humidifier, Nothing more and nothing less.
This has been covered here before in detail. It's easy enough for all to determine where the Poppycock is eminating from.

sleepyangler

Post by sleepyangler » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:34 pm

Feel free to tell us all about the superior "functionality of a DC-12" that sets it apart from any other brand. Tell us how it does so much more than simply allow someone to run their resmed cpap off a dc source. Tell us all about how the other brands fall short of doing the same at a fraction of the cost. Simple truth is, owners of a resmed cpap who wants to use a dc power source have to purchase the resmed branded dc cord; that's not the case with any other brand. To suggest otherwise is simply not true and/or a sign that someone has a vested interested in having folks believe that the resmed way is somehow far superior.

Been there, done that and won't be gouged by resmed again.

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:16 pm

sleepyangler wrote:Feel free to tell us all
Its already been done several times, which those who can be bothered to use the search facility, rather than just huff and puff, will have already discovered.

freepostg

Post by freepostg » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:04 pm

Good decision to take that last post off.. sleepyangler...
I've had my vantage for a year and just absolutely love it. As for the dc cord....I'm not that familiar with it....nor it's cost...but I just love my resmed machines as well as the swift LT...which I see you use as well!

sleepyangler

Post by sleepyangler » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:17 pm

I attempted to treat my apnea with the vantage and it was a complete failure due to the a10 algorithm. Might as well not have even been on a cpap as the machine simply would not respond to nearly 1/2 of my apneas at a setting of 12.6min and 16max. It is for me a $1,000 doorstop and a daily reminder to never again purchase a resmed unless they decide to give the user greater flexibility in the settings. The sandman auto on the other hand has far more user selectable settings which allow me to tailor it to my needs. My nightly AI with the sandman is consistently below 0.2, something the vantage simply could not achieve. That the sandman will run off dc using a $15 cord is just an added bonus. Apparently I just don't need all the added functionality that Bill believes warrants the $80 price tag for a resmed dc-12. Having used both setups, I know which one I'd recommend to anyone who might ask.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:35 pm

billbolton wrote:
sleepyangler wrote:Feel free to tell us all
Its already been done several times, which those who can be bothered to use the search facility, rather than just huff and puff, will have already discovered.
I consider myself pretty good with the search feature but was not able ascertain what it is to which you refer. And I doubt that I am the only one.

I think it would be much more mature and add to your credibility if you simply link to what it is that you are referring to. Certainly it would also add clarity and avoid any misunderstanding.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

sleepyangler

Post by sleepyangler » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:51 pm

That added functionality that Bill believes is worth a 200% or so markup includes the following:

1. The ability to distinguish between a 12v and 24v dc power source. So if you are foolish enough to hook up to a pair of deep cycle batteries or plug into a vehicle with a 24v system instead of a 12v system, you'll not fry your dc cord and/or cpap.

2. The ability to to "know" when the battery is getting low and prevent the battery from being completely drained. Not really sure how this works but my guess is that if you don't have enough juice to complete a full night's sleep without draining the battery, you'll not get a full night's sleep as the dc-12 will simply not run the cpap once you reach that threshold.

3. A properly wired plug, well properly wired for resmed cpaps which have a different polarity from every other brand.

Numbers 1 and 2 are of questionable value and I had little need for either with the resmed vantage or the sandman auto. Number 3 is kind of important unless you want to be blowing a fuse in the cpap without getting much treatment. Had I known then what I know now, I would have purchased a generic dc cord for my vantage and re-wired it to match the resmed "standard." As it is, I just use a generic cord with my sandman, attach it to a single deep cycle batt and that's more than good enough for me to spend up to 4 nights away from an ac outlet.

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:24 am

sleepyangler wrote:includes the following:....
The Resmed DC-12 provides a number of things which are there to basically ensure that a user who doesn't understand anything much about battery electrical systems can use an S8 in a wide range of circumstances with good results.... that's why it costs more than other brands

The DC-12 provides for:

•operation from (nominal) 12V and 24V DC power systems, so it useable from both "automobile" type battery systems, and "truck" type battery systems
•complete isolation between the input and output circuit
•filtering out of electrical "noise" from the input side
•preventing a battery from becoming fully discharged

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:37 am

GumbyCT wrote:I consider myself pretty good with the search feature but was not able ascertain what it is to which you refer.
If you typed "DC-12", including the " marks in the search box search and you would have quickly found it
GumbyCT wrote:I think it would be much more mature .....
.... to have worked out how the search function actually works

This is just getting far, far too silly. I'm done with responding to people who hide behind silly user IDs.

sleepyangler

Post by sleepyangler » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:02 am

billbolton wrote:This is just getting far, far too silly. I'm done with responding to people who hide behind silly user IDs.
Wow that is real mature of you Bill.

Are you no longer going to respond to all here who use "silly user IDs" or just those who refuse to drink the resmed coolaid? Very few cpap users need that "functionality" yet resmed owners have very little choice but to pay 3x times what other folks pay for the exact same end results.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:42 pm

billbolton wrote:If you typed "DC-12", including the " marks in the search box search and you would have quickly found it
Perhaps my English is not clear or perhaps 'you' haven't tried to follow your own instructions, my friend. But here are the results of the search you requested.
Search found 77 matches: +"dc -12"

Most of which are links to this post, while others do not support your suggestion. Perhaps you don't know how to link and just try to intimidate others with rude comments.

But I have to agree...
billbolton wrote:This is just getting far, far too silly.
And I thought you'd never realize just how silly.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!