How Do We Chose A CPAP Machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mars

How Do We Chose A CPAP Machine

Post by mars » Fri May 29, 2009 7:52 pm

Hi All,

I am still reading "Question of Pressure - Updated Info" with intense interest. Possibly the most illuminating thread I have read, and will continue to read.

The question arose in that thread as to how we (newcomers) chose a machine, given all the new information we have on this forum and elsewhere. I read as much as I could, understanding some of it, thinking I understood some things I didn't, and frazzling my sleep deprived brain even further.

As JNK mentioned in the original thread, it can be like chosing a car. Rationality often takes second place to subjectivity. And when one is new, ignorant and confused, it may take only a minor item with which one can identify with, to tip the choice in a particular direction.

The path that I went down was that I was loaned a Sandman Info by my local chemist. I then figured from the forum that an auto with full data capabilities was the way to go. So what to get? I read a lot, asked questions, until the loan period was about to end, and I had to make a decision.

1. I was used to the Sandman Info, it was quiet, and gave me daily info.
2. I read, maybe more than once, that Covidien had the best software.
3. There was a lot of discussion about Resmed and Respironics, and it was impossible for me to make a judgement about them.

So I got a Sandman Auto, and am very happy with that. I did not realise at the time but only a few Forum members can help me with particular Sandman queries, but they are there and always respond to my pleas for help.

Was my choice based on logic and understanding, or by chance and subjectivity. And would it have made any difference anyhow? So does it really matter providing CPAP works for us!

And how did you make your choice, it would be very interesting to hear about it.

cheers

Mars
for an an easier, cheaper and travel-easy sleep apnea treatment :D

http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t7020 ... rapy-.html

harry33

Re: How Do We Chose A CPAP Machine

Post by harry33 » Fri May 29, 2009 8:16 pm

I guess if someone else is paying, go for the most expensive well known brand with a long warranty, but please do read the instruction manual, many dont

I have to pay for mine and am content with cheap basic models but I do look for an established maker, with service depts and a long factory warranty, I have no interest in data at all.

cpap user since 1995
australian,anxiety and insomnia, a CPAP user since 1995, self diagnosed after years of fatigue, 2 cheap CPAPs and respironics comfortgell nose only mask. not one of my many doctors ever asked me if I snored

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri May 29, 2009 8:34 pm

I am techie oriented. I like to have all the available options, just in case they might come in handy. I worked in the medical community for about 30 years. Insatiable curiosity about many things but especially anything that goes wrong with my body. I want to have as much information available to me as possible. Then I will figure out how to digest it. I have to be an active participant in anything that happens to me.

I chose the Respironics instead of the ResMed simply because of a couple of extra pieces of data available. Flow limitations and vibratory snores. Otherwise either of the auto units would have been fine.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

riverdreamer

Post by riverdreamer » Fri May 29, 2009 10:20 pm

I had some issues that were very important to me, that tipped the issue.

1) Resmed Autoset II was rated as the quietest by several decibels. I am very sound sensitive, so this was important.

2) There seemed to be numerous complaints about Respironics acquiring an unpleasant odor. I am very chemically sensitive, and highly allergic to molds, so THAT was a deal breaker for me.

3) Because I have a hypersenstive nervous system (are you getting the picture yet? ), I was concerned about Respironics algorithm that was constantly searching up and down for better pressure. I was also a little unsure about Resmed, because some mentioned that it may be more "aggressive" in pressure adjustments, but the other issues outweighed this concern.

4)Having a possible case of UARS, I was interested in a machine with as close to bi-level as I could get. EPR is much closer to a bi-level type of treatment than C-flex or A-flex, and some of the other units (Intellipap, etc.)have no pressure relief at all.

5) Blue Lights!!!! I have a hard time sleeping with light on. Not a deal breaker, easy enough to hide, but a consideration.

6) Resmed is more aesthetically attractive to me. This is not critical, but I do tend to like things that look good, and I wanted to like my CPAP.

7) I tend to go for the underdog. If I had understood more about the Sandman, Intellipap, or others, I MIGHT have leaned towards one of them because of this, but I also like to have a track record on the things I choose, and at the time I was getting set up, this was unclear on machines other than the Resmed or Respironics.

So there you have it! My semi-subjective, semi-rational decision making process. So far, I have been extremely pleased with my unit.

hobbs

Post by hobbs » Sat May 30, 2009 12:16 am

You buy one where the engineers knew it was going to need a power supply and did not have to add a power brick as a afterthought!

ozij

Post by ozij » Sat May 30, 2009 12:48 am

I believe the only good way to choose is to try.
Pay for rent if necessary - get the software - and try.... One user, "MrSandman" actually bought all the machines he wanted to try, and then sold them at cpapauction.

I'm sure many of us have had the experience of being given a specific medication by the doc, only to find out that this kind isn't good for us (too many side effects, not doing the job) and being switched to another. The doctor couldn't tell ahead of time which would be best.

While I did ask for trial drives of car models before I bought them, I think there's a fault in the analogy, because the "rightness" of an APAP's algorithm is a much more basic, personal, physical thing than a car. An auto misunderstanding your breathing, and driving the pressure up uncontrollably is analogous to a car with a gearshift that malfunctions for you but not for your friend.

Another issue to consider is the difference between using an auto for self titration, and using it for therapy. Many of us do quite well on one stable pressure - albeit not the one prescribed in the PSG. Other's definitely need the auto's self adjusting capacity for therapy, and often you can't tell that ahead of time.

So I would say:
Data capable
Automatic because I may turn out to need it
How I sleep with the trial machine - that would include noise, light, humidifying capacity.

Type of software, warranty, reliability are all side issues to the above.

Self titration can be done very well on a fixed pressure machine -- if the aim is finding a fixed pressure.

If I belong to the minority that does not do well with one machine's algorithm, then that machine may be good for 99% of the population, but it is 100% not good for me.
You may decide to gamble on the most popular machine - and you may have a very high probability of success -- but failure is an option -- and there's no getting away from it, if you happen to belong to the small group that machine does not work for.
O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

dsm

Post by dsm » Sat May 30, 2009 2:45 am

Mars

If you chose a Sandman you chose very well

DSM

(Best Bilevel I ever owned came from Puritan Bennett & in an extensive evaluation of PB gear - it is tops !!!)
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

Chris61

Post by Chris61 » Sat May 30, 2009 9:07 pm

I would talk with your doctor and see what he suggest or request what you have. I lucked out with my doctor and the DME vendor. I was very pleased with the Remstar Auto M-Series machine.

Chris