OT a warning

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Catnapper

OT a warning

Post by Catnapper » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:10 am

I received a phone call this morning from a fundraiser for breast cancer research. It could have been any cause, even OSA. Before I agreed to make a pledge, I asked how much of my money would actually go toward the research. The person on the phone asked for a moment to get that information. After much paper rustling, she came back to say that the fundraiser needed money to pay for offices, postage, long-distance phoning, salaries, pre-printed forms, (and so on) and that 5% of my donation went to the research.

That is right, just 5%!

Now I know people need jobs and that there is a cost for fundraising, but I was really astonished at the low percentage that was going to the actual cause. There are many worthwhile causes that need help, but that is an outrageous misuse of them.

She told me that if I go to the website to donate (which she furnished) that 100% of my money would go to research.

I will make my donation elsewhere. Has anyone else ever asked that question?

Catnapper - Joanie

teresamichele

Re: OT a warning

Post by teresamichele » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:19 am

Yup - I used to work for a non-profit and you have to be SO careful. I have links at home I'll post tonight, but there are websites out there that will identify what charities give 5% and what charities give 50% and so on. The charities are required by law to provide the information.

Be VERY careful when you donate. I encourage charitable giving, but make sure your money is going where you think it's going!

"If you weren't trying for it yesterday, why should you have it today?" - Dave Barnes

2ndGenCPAPgal

Post by 2ndGenCPAPgal » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:40 am

I did once when I got the call from the Fraternal Order of Police. It was a similar shockingly low number (might have been 15%, but still...). I told them I knew where the police station was if I wanted to donate.

http://www2.guidestar.org/ is one of the websites that provides information on various charities.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:05 pm

2ndGenCPAPgal wrote:I did once when I got the call from the Fraternal Order of Police. It was a similar shockingly low number (might have been 15%, but still...). I told them I knew where the police station was if I wanted to donate.

http://www2.guidestar.org/ is one of the websites that provides information on various charities.
I donate every time I pay my Seat Belt violation (TAX) Jim

I'm paid up for this year, you should be able to deduct it from your taxes as a charity.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:18 pm

I put our phone numbers on the "NO CALL" list several years ago......didn't stop all of them......still get a few (like the ones mentioned hear and a few others). They get a stern reminder that I'm on that list and are told not to call anymore.
We still get some calls that seemingly have nobody on the other end and then they hang up. Some are "Unknown" numbers on my caller ID and some are "800" type numbers. If you go to Google and put in the numbers, you'll see many irate posts by people who have been relentlessly called before.

I would suggest NEVER giving out any credit/debit card information to any of these callers.
If you really feel the need to donate to these organizations, suggest that they (snail) mail you some information for you to consider. Like SPAM e-mails, once they know they've got a "live" potential contributor, your name will probably get sold to other organizations.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

roster

Post by roster » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:25 pm

Good policy: Never pledge money to someone who calls you.

We know who the legitimate, effective, efficient charities are. We compile an annual charity plan every year in early November. When something new comes up during the year, we take the time to check it out.

One exception is the kids in the neighborhood coming to our door and things that come up at church. We are very liberal with buying whatever junk they are selling for their church, school, club, PTA, etc.

My wife and daughter are still pissed because some neighbors' kids came to the door one Saturday morning while I was at home alone. I gave them money for two dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts and told them just to take the money and keep the doughnuts because we don't need to be eating sugar and white flour. They later blabbed to my daughter and she told my wife. They have been mad at me for years because they like Krispy Kreme. Now everytime they buy a dozen, they eat them in my presence and won't let me have one.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

spacetoast

Post by spacetoast » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:45 pm

rooster wrote:They have been mad at me for years because they like Krispy Kreme. Now everytime they buy a dozen, they eat them in my presence and won't let me have one.
Wow. That's a heck of a grudge!

Our business sometimes donates to charities, but we pick them and we usually pick small, local organizations. There is one here in Colorado that takes breast cancer patients and survivors on a fly fishing retreat.

timbalionguy

Post by timbalionguy » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:01 pm

Wulfman wrote:I put our phone numbers on the "NO CALL" list several years ago......didn't stop all of them......still get a few (like the ones mentioned hear and a few others). They get a stern reminder that I'm on that list and are told not to call anymore.
We still get some calls that seemingly have nobody on the other end and then they hang up. Some are "Unknown" numbers on my caller ID and some are "800" type numbers. If you go to Google and put in the numbers, you'll see many irate posts by people who have been relentlessly called before.
The 'do not call list' is for commercial businesses only. Nonprofits and political organizations are exempt. (The number of election calls I got last year was staggering.) I do not like either kind of group calling, even though I am politically active. The calls you are getting where you hear nothing and then the line disconnects are usually computerized marketing systems that drop a certain percentage of calls for various reasons.

In defense of nonprofit fundraising, it can be really hard work. I work for a nonprofit corporation (A PBS member station) and some 30 percent of all the money we get goes into overhead. Fully half the staff is devoted to fundraising. Another big cat place I know that uses traditional fundraising methods has an overhead close to 50 percent. And although I know the owner, I do not like the mail I get from him. But anything below 50 percent should be considered 'poor to extremely poor'. The 5 percent you were told is pathetic.
Wulfman wrote:I would suggest NEVER giving out any credit/debit card information to any of these callers.
If you really feel the need to donate to these organizations, suggest that they (snail) mail you some information for you to consider. Like SPAM e-mails, once they know they've got a "live" potential contributor, your name will probably get sold to other organizations.

Den
I gave one time to one of these 'Fraternal Order of Police' type charities, and started to get calls from a whole bunch more just like them. Some organizations seem to exist just to raise funds for use in other ways than you are led to believe. Chief among these is the Humane Society of the United States, that spends most of its money collected in the name of animals, to take animals away from people.

Babette

Post by Babette » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:23 pm

Good lesson, Catnapper. Thanks for posting!!!

#1) I never buy or donate to people who solicit me. If I want something, I'll go buy it. Now NPR, on the other hand, keeps pleading with me for money, but I'm gonna cough it up, because I'm a sucker for This American Life.

#2) Always ask that important question - how much goes to the charity and how much to "expenses and overhead"?

#3) My charity for this year has been the Emergency Food Network. In my county, they have an EXCELLENT track record, they are feeding my coworkers and students, and dang it, food's a very important thing in my life. Consider donating directly to your local food bank organization. You'll be glad you did. I told my relatives last Xmas that I decided to forgo presents to everyone and give to this charity. And then I found a way to buy little trinkets on The Hunger Site (http://www.thehungersite.com) and still got them funny little gifts they found amusing, and still donated to hunger relief. That was fun. And Dad really got a laugh out of his "Cat Lover" t-shirt.

Cheers,
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

alnhwrd

Post by alnhwrd » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:58 pm

After reading this article in National Geographic http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/print ... neill-text ,
Durihana has become my charity of choice http://www.durihana.net/ .

jules

Post by jules » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:11 pm

I ask if they are a paid solicitor and if they answer yes or hinge on the answer I hang up. Of course they all are. Sometimes I just leave the phone off the hook and let them talk to themselves for a while.

DNC doesn't stop them; in fact DNC isn't stopping a lot of stuff well.

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:10 pm

timbalionguy wrote: The 'do not call list' is for commercial businesses only. Nonprofits and political organizations are exempt. (The number of election calls I got last year was staggering.) I do not like either kind of group calling, even though I am politically active. The calls you are getting where you hear nothing and then the line disconnects are usually computerized marketing systems that drop a certain percentage of calls for various reasons.
Want a laugh? I got election calls as well... and I'm not eligible to vote!

roster

Post by roster » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:02 pm

cflame1 wrote: ....
Want a laugh? I got election calls as well... and I'm not eligible to vote!

Sir, you voted 17 times in Chicago.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related