Display fogged up on my new machine in < month

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Uncle_Bob

Display fogged up on my new machine in < month

Post by Uncle_Bob » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:33 pm

Hi folks

About 3 weeks ago i bought my own S8 Elite II Autoset and i am getting the best therapy ever therapy from it. I'm actually stringing together nights of zero AI's and HIs < 3.

But i noticed the LCD display has started to fog up on the inside. I can barely read the top line now unless i turn the back light on

I have added a room humidifier to my room following my nose bleeding issues and i keep the humidity around 50% and i have the machines humidity setting set to 2 but i don't think that should be causing the issue.

I wonder if anyone else has had this problem? Do you think i should try and return it now? I'm not sure I'd want to let it go right now as it does work and i'm building up on some good therapy.

I did purchase it from a Resmed approved online store and I do have a S8 Elite II CPAP as a backup.

what to do
Last edited by Uncle_Bob on Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alnhwrd

Re: Display fogged up on my new machine in < month

Post by alnhwrd » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:36 pm

Moisture + Electronic device = dead Electronic device. I would return it ASAP.

drj130

Post by drj130 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:39 pm

Sounds like a bad seal on the LCD display. Kind of like what you get on a cheap waterproof watch. As for where the fogging is coming from, It might be from the machine's humidifier. Check to ensure the water tank is (and I'm sure that it is) inserted correctly, and that the seals for it are good. If the seal from one of the connectors has gone bad, or has been squished, that just might be where your fog is coming from. Myself, I'd send it back in to get it fixed, but that is me.

Look twice, save a life. You never know when you might see a motorcyclist.

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:40 pm

Yes, the humidifier in the bedroom will cause moisture inside the CPAP. The intake valve on the CPAP is bringing humidified air directly inside.....
Carry your machine back to the supplier. Warranty does cover this. The supplier was supposed to warn you about using a room humidifier. It will alter the function of the machine.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:44 pm

Since your profile shows that you live in Aridzona, you should have some other place around the house that is NOT as humid. I'd try moving it to a different location, disconnect the humidifier and run it for awhile. It may move the humidity (if that's what's causing the fogging) out of the machine. If it's still running otherwise, it's not necessarily "damaged"......yet.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:16 pm

Yes I am in Arizona and it's difficult to handle the humidity situation.
With a humidifier on the machine above 2 and without a room humidifier i got rainout even with a hose cover.
So i got a room humidifier and moved to a small spare bedroom for a few nights. The room humidifier just has dials with no indication of % humidity so the first night i was sleeping at 60% and the other two nights have been at 55% and 52%.
I might try and find out more about how humidity versus temperature influences rainout. Maybe i can set the room humidifier down to 35%.

Cheers
UB

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:36 pm

If you send it in, you have no assurance you will get your old one back... Leaving the backlight on will heat up the display, causing less or no fogging. Do away with the room hudimifier, and even then maybe get a external HH to move the moisture from the machine. Unhook the hose in the daytime so vapor won't run into the machine, leave the machine power turned on 24/7. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:39 pm

Do not do like I did with my Timex that had a cracked lens, put it on a shop light for 5 minutes, one minute would have been enough, no more numbers after 5 minutes. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire