"Deconstructed" AEIOMED Headrest Mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Catnapper

Re: "Deconstructed" AEIOMED Headrest Mask

Post by Catnapper » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:42 pm

Great pictures!

I actually put the Velcro loop farther down, just over my eyebrows, below the exhaust vents. I might try your way next.

I don't know why I didn't think of it before I did. It is so much easier and more comfortable.

Don't forget to check out Pad-a-cheek's cover for the nasal pillows and hose. She does a terrific job designing the covers. Tell her I sent you!

Catnapper - Joanie

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:27 am

I have had hose and pillow covers for the Headrest, but nothing (and I mean nothing) stops my rainout. I think I get rainout because my pressure is so low that the air flow can't dry out the hose. So, I use my humidifier as passover, and I have no problems. Actually, I get less congested with passover than I did when I used the humidifier.

Glad I was able to give you another idea for your setup. That's what I love about this forum -- we can all learn from one another.

JoyD.

Post by JoyD. » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:48 pm

Linda,

Thanks so much for taking your new photos - I love your sturdy-looking ribbons! Where did you find them?

It appears that you sewed the strap that goes under the nares to the headband (that goes from the forehead to the nape of the neck) . . . is that right? It would be so nice not to have to tie and retie my tights tie everytime I use it. I want to try your new setup just as soon as I figure it out

Doesn't the upper hard, tubular part of the pillow rest against your forehead? How do you prevent that?

Joy

PS1 - Rainout used to drive me crazy until I bought the Aussie Heated Hose. That solved ALL my rainout problems, including the mask and pillow.
PS2 - I secure a tight rubberband around the pillow just below where it starts to branch - this holds the pillows more tightly together, reducing leaks for me.

Additional Comments: CPAP Pr 14.0; EPR:3 Full; Heated Hose; 1" NexCare Low Trauma Tape; PurSleep Buckwheat Hull Pillow; Caldera Releaf Collar.
Other Accessories & Software: Wellue O2 Ring; OSCAR; SleepHQ Pro.

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:50 pm

Hi Joy. No. The lower strap and the upper strap are not connected. They are two individual lace stretch straps, with silicone backing which helps hold them against my skin and hair. You can buy it on ebay (or a material shop near you if you aren't rural like I am). Just type in: "stretch lace silicone" and you will get several sellers. I found the 1 1/4" didn't work too well. It was too flimsy. The 2 1/4" is a little too wide, but I trim one edge off -- keeping as much of the silicone as I can. I don't tie... I pin the ends together until they are "just right" around my head with my Headrest on. Once I find the right size, I sew the ends together on my sewing machine. I will sew 4 or 5 straps at one time, and they last forever. I even wash them in the washer and dry them in my dryer.

I used velcro -- the kind that has the sticky backing. Cut a strip about 4", make a loop around your Headrest hose. Then I stuck the sticky sides of the velcro to each other. That kind of forms a stiff support to hold the Headrest away from your forehead. Then tack the velcro to your headband. Just like Catnapper said, the upper hard plastic does not come in contact with your forehead. I love her for this idea. ...

With the first Headrest pillows, I pulled the pillows closer together too. But the new ones (they came out a couple of years ago I think) there is a firm clear insert that seems to give it support, in addition to the bendable wire. I didn't like the new ones at first, but I do now. I no longer have to pull the sides together.

Regarding my rainout. Like I said, I think it's because I don't have high pressure. I've done all the tricks. I have the heated hose, with 3 hose covers. . My unit is well below the bed. My humidifier was on 1. Nothing worked. But it's all good. I'm not complaining.

JoyD.

Post by JoyD. » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:13 pm

Linda,

Thanks for the specific information on making your new Headrest bands!! I'm eager to replace my tights ties with this Love how it "looks" too, about as glamorous as you can get with CPAP

Joy

Additional Comments: CPAP Pr 14.0; EPR:3 Full; Heated Hose; 1" NexCare Low Trauma Tape; PurSleep Buckwheat Hull Pillow; Caldera Releaf Collar.
Other Accessories & Software: Wellue O2 Ring; OSCAR; SleepHQ Pro.

KatieW

Thanks, Joy and Linda

Post by KatieW » Sat May 01, 2010 10:29 am

Reading this post inspired me to take that Headrest out of the drawer, and I've been using it for a week now, and loving it. It's very comfortable and stable, and no leaks.

I cut the straps off, and am using the Comfortlite 2 straps, for now (per Kiralinx). And I made a little cover for the pillows attachment (per kteague). Next, I will completely deconstruct, and try Linda's method. I ordered the elastic from the ebay lady, and it should be here next week.