Tips for flying with CPAP?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
billbolton

Re: Tips for flying with CPAP?

Post by billbolton » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:06 am

Bibs wrote:I have an 8hr flight in the night, and also a 13 hour flight, so I'd really, really like to sleep during most of them.
There are a whole host of reasons why sleeping on any specific flight sector may be problematic, including atmospheric conditions, the behaviour of other passengers (particularly infants, small children and sporting teams) and with some airlines the condition of the physical seat - just to name a few.
Bibs wrote:Eventually the person I was speaking to said: "It should be alright, they'll work something out" (when asked if the machine could be able to run on the plane power supply).
Keep in mind that there is never any guarantee of on-board power being available, no matter what an aitline may say before hand. So if you really want to use your CPAP machine inflight, the only way you can be certain of having power for it is to provide your own fully charged battery power.

I have sucessfully used my Resmed S8 in flight on a number of occasions with battery power, after having some disappointing experiences with promised on-board power just not being available on the day of the flight for one reason or other. I'm currently travelling with my S9 and do not have battery power solution for it yet, and elected just to stay awake during the 14 hours flight. I received a business class upgrade but sill ended up with several small children in the Business Class cabin area I was in, and sleeping would have been pretty much impossible in any case.

In terms of battery power, there are now FAA regulations that apply for use of battery powered medical devices for flights within, to and from the USA, so you need to look into those as well if there is any US component (even just a transit) in your itinerary.

Cheers,

Bill

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:22 am

I've flown two more American Airlines sectors, one American Eagle sector, one Mexicana Link sector and one Mexicana/AeroMar sector since last posting on my current travels and have and had no problems at all with my Resmed S9 bag as a carry-on for any of those sectors.

Cheers,

Bill

dtsm

Post by dtsm » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:39 am

Air Asia is a budget carrier so don't expect too many frills, eg battery outlets. And if the plane is crowded, might be difficult to find place to hang your hose

Cpap usage in-flight differs from airlines to airlines and best to call ahead of time. I recently flew JAL and had excellent service on JFK/Narita flights. My brother flew CX JFK/HK in economy and had no problems either (he also used their outlets)

Airlines also treat cpap carry-on differently - TSA rules only dictate whether you can pass security but doesn't guarantee getting free carry-on allowance. There was a very negative report re AA recently and I actually spent about 30 minutes on the phone with their CS while surfing their website for clear cut rules. See posts re this here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/disabili ... light.html.

There are also other threads here - do a quick search. Good luck on your upcoming flights.

TheaSophia

Re: What chemicals used for Swabbing? need 6/15/10

Post by TheaSophia » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:01 pm

What do they swab the machine with at the security check point?

I am very chemically sensitive... don't want nasty chemicals on my machine.

Leaving tomorrow, 6.16 speedy reply appreciated.

Thanks,
Judith

dtsm

Post by dtsm » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:32 pm

TheaSophia wrote:What do they swab the machine with at the security check point?

Thanks,
Judith
Bomb check. No nasty chemicals, relax and enjoy your flight

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:47 pm

dtsm wrote:Bomb check. No nasty chemicals....
AFAIK, its a check for both explosives residues and illicit drugs residues.

Cheers,

Bill

IsrvChrist

Post by IsrvChrist » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:01 pm

TheaSophia wrote:What do they swab the machine with at the security check point?

Thanks,
Judith
I don't know the rules about cross posting or linking to other forums, but I hope this helps. If not allowed my apologize and will not happen again.

First flight with CPAP carry-on....
http://www.apneasupport.org/about6510.html

bearded_two

Post by bearded_two » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:22 pm

The CPAP (or other item) is swabbed with a dry piece of fabric (or similar material); there shouldn't be any chemicals on the swab material. After the swab is wiped over the item, it is placed into a machine that detects explosives residue.

Bibs

Post by Bibs » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:08 am

Thanks friends.
Im not worried at all about carrying it onboard. My S8 has a wonderful carry bag, and Air Asia asked if I could bring a letter from my physician
*tick*.
No problem there.
I tend to plug my ears, and drop a sleeping pill (very light version) to sleep on aircraft long hauls, and I plan to do it on these ones, hence I want to "wear my mask", and collar pillow.
Im looking into the battery pack situation.
Will report back.
Thanks again.

dtsm

Post by dtsm » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:13 am

Bibs wrote:Im looking into the battery pack situation.
cpap.com sells a very nice battery pak, pricey but can also be used as backup power at home.