Shingles Vaccination (Herpes Zoster Vaccination)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Babette

Re: Shingles Vaccination (Herpes Zoster Vaccination)

Post by Babette » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:00 pm

wasColette wrote:I am 47 and have had the herpes zoster outbreak on my left forehead area around 5 times. It always starts with a sore, tingling pimple that grows quickly into a very painful oozing outbreak. It usually has occurred at moments of extreme stress when my body's resistance is down. Now that I know how it feels in the very first stages, I call my doctor and get a prescription for Acylovir. I take it as soon as I can and it really does nip it in the bud. It's good to know there is a vaccine out there and I will definitely ask my doctor about it.
Colette, keep us posted on whether you get it or not. I'm reading on various websites that it's not approved for those under 60, and I'm wondering if that means NO ONE under 60 gets it. Or if maybe YOU would be the exception because of your medical history with it.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!!!!
Barbara

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

nate fry

Post by nate fry » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:50 pm

Thats chicken pox, right.
Nate

Ms Piggy

Post by Ms Piggy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:23 am

I had shingles not long ago, just had two red spots on my face - high on the left cheek near the hairline, a bit later a red spot appeared on the end of my nose, no pain, no tingling.
I asked a Dr., pre nose spot, and found it was shingles. I learned later from an ophthalmologist that one should report it immediately if you get shingles on your nose as it is a dangerous sign regarding your eye sight.

wasColette

Post by wasColette » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:06 pm

What I've been told is that if you've had chicken pox you can get herpes zoster. It is in the same family as chicken pox. That virus can lay dormant for years and then under certain conditions when your immune system is down you can have an outbreak. It is also the same virus family as genital herpes and mouth sores and shingles.

It is true that if you get the outbreak on your face you must be careful to be sure it doesn't get in your eyes. Once mine did spread very close to my eye and caused my eye to swell badly. I went to an opthamologist who made sure it was not going into the eye. That was a time when I tried to self remedy the "natural" way. Never again. I get the Acyclovir(sp?) right away now.

roster

Post by roster » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:07 pm

I got my vaccination on March 6, four days after I started this thread.

The shot did not hurt one bit and there were zero after effects, not even a red mark where the needle went in.

Never one to be satisfied, I expected some redness, soreness and swelling as an indicator that my body was building antibodies. I wonder if it was a placebo.

Gripe if it hurts, gripe if it doesn't.

NightMonkey

Post by NightMonkey » Sat May 07, 2011 10:04 am

I got both of my parents to go for vaccinations shortly after this was posted.

Hate to see CPAPers on here suffering with shingles. Go do it!
NightMonkey
Blow my oropharynx!

the hairy, hairy gent who ran amok in Kent

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Sat May 07, 2011 10:22 am

I had it when I was a wee child (1 1/2). I almost died, had it on the diaper region and around my waist. Doc told my mom that if it had spread one more inch around my waist I would have not made it. It is related to chicken pox, but I didn't get chicken pox until I was 6 or 7, so it was not related in my case. In those days (ya I'm old) there wasn't the level of antibiotics that there is today. Mom said they gave her some cream to put on it and to keep me diaper free until it cleared up. Can you imagine yeewwwww. I had skin problems and itchiness on my butt for about ten years afterward. Do get the inoculation friends, an ounce of prevention no matter the cost is most definitely worth it.
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

freshair

Post by freshair » Sat May 07, 2011 6:20 pm

yes I got my shot at walgreens last year,age 66, and it was $200---------if they was to charge $500 I would still would have been vaccinated---my neighbor went through hell with hers--FA

gpap

Post by gpap » Sat May 07, 2011 6:36 pm

I had the shingles along the 9th nerve root. Think just above the navel. Pain was horrible. Started by feeling like I had been impaled, then spread between the two spots.

As I understand, once you have had an outbreak, you can't have the vaccine.

roster

Post by roster » Sat May 07, 2011 7:09 pm

wrote:As I understand, once you have had an outbreak, you can't have the vaccine.
-->Not true.
Even if you have had shingles, you can still receive the shingles vaccine to help prevent future occurrences of the disease. There is no specific time that you must wait after having shingles before receiving the shingles vaccine. The decision on when to get vaccinated should be made with your health care provider. Generally, a person should make sure that the shingles rash has disappeared before getting vaccinated.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/shi ... d-know.htm
Go get it!

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

msla

Post by msla » Sat May 07, 2011 8:19 pm

After seeing the pain and misery my father-in-law went through the last 3 years of his life, getting the shot is vital and the cost would be reasonable if it was hundreds more. I basically costs the same as the Acyclovir for a week. You have to gert the antiviral within 3 days of the onset of the shingles to have a chance to arrest the virus.

ResMed S9 Auto set/Heated humidifier/AirFit N30i
diagnosed and began CPAP treatment 2003.

Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill » Sat May 07, 2011 11:50 pm

I know a retired fellow who had it and told me in no uncertain terms to get it. I asked at my pharmacy last month. They told me what most of you have learned. Insurance will not pay for it till I hit 60 and they won't give it before 60 unless I get a doctors RX for it. However, if my doctor gives an RX, they would be happy to give it to me. So, its available here.

90% EPAP=7.0, Avg PS=4.0, Avg bpm 18.3, Avg Min vent 9.2 Lpm, Avg CA/OA/H/AHI = 0.1/0.1/2.1/2.3 ... updated 02/17/12

jimnsc

Post by jimnsc » Sun May 08, 2011 7:37 am

Cannot wait for these painful things to clear up so I can get it!!!!!!! Had them since Wednesday and can't tolerate the medicine. MIne will just have to run their course. By all means - GO GET THE SHOT!

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sun May 08, 2011 9:21 am

Just letting shingles run their course CAN greatly increase your risk of developing PHN (post-herpatic neuralgia) which can be a long, lingering or even permanent nasty side effect you do NOT want to encounter!!! IF you really can't tolerate the antivirals for it be sure to use every other method at your doctor's disposal to treat those shingles!!!!!

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

BusyLyn

Post by BusyLyn » Sun May 08, 2011 2:44 pm

I had a severe case of chicken pox when I was 6-1/2 years old, and 4+ years ago I had a severe allergic reaction (hypersensitivity vasculitis with necrotizing dermatitis complicated by cellulitis) that did a number on the tissues of my legs and feet. Although they are badly scarred, I'm thankful to be alive and walking around on both of my legs. The vasculitis also left me with peripheral neuropathy, controlled for the most part by Neurontin.

I know from experience that nerve pain can be excruciating. To say that I'm terrified of getting Shingles and possibly postherpetic neuralgia (PHN) is putting it mildly. I did all the work necessary to get my Shingles vaccination, and I urge everyone who possibly can to get their shot, too. You DON'T want to put yourself through the pain to save a few bucks.

Lyn
"That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger." -- Friedrich Nietzsche