Nasal pillows only leak in the morning

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mrnetwurm

Nasal pillows only leak in the morning

Post by mrnetwurm » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:26 am

Hello, a friend gave me a Swift LT. I tried using a medium pillow that had been used, but found that the
slightest movement on my part caused it to leak. I switched to a large set that was new and never used
and found that it seals very well and I can even lay on my side with some pressure on the frame and
still have a good seal. But all is not well.

About 5 hours after going to bed, the pillows begin to leak significantly. I understand that the pillows
need to inflate to provide a good seal. I have tried loosening the straps to no avail and have also
tried tightening which seems to only collapse the pillows and make them leak more.

I purchased the Lansinoh product and have experienced a better and longer lasting seal, but it still
leaks a bit toward morning.

Do the pillows get 'tired' and loose their 'spring' towards morning ?
Is this typical behavior that I should just get used to ?

Jerry (CPAP user for 3 weeks)

beanfruit

Re: Nasal pillows only leak in the morning

Post by beanfruit » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:30 am

That's the problem I had last night with my Swift FX - was fine until about 3am when it sprung a leak. Are you a side sleeper? What I did was instead of tightening both sides, I only slightly tightened the side that I was lying on - that seemed to do the trick for the rest of the night. Not sure how to start off the night like that though, still searching for the elusive "full night's sleep" (I've been using CPAP almost as long as you). Good luck to you!

Exterminator

Post by Exterminator » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:32 am

Folks use the LT and have good luck with it.
I started out with a LT and switched to a Swift FX for reasons of leakage. The FX is much better for me although I sometimes get some leakage while sleeping on my side.
I think there is a trial and error period to go through to find what mask works best for you.

beanfruit wrote: still searching for the elusive "full night's sleep"
Same here after 4 weeks I still don't sleep through the night.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:36 am

Swift pillows sometimes need replacing sooner that some others, I have heard anywhere from several weeks to several months. If you do a search for swift fixes, you may find some ideas others have tried to keep them from leaking. I use a hybrid which has nasal pillows and I take a pair of ladies tights (not nylons or panyhose) and cut one leg off at the thigh, then I cut a three inch round from the top. Now I have a nice little circle, I put that around my head with the front bit just holding the pillows to my nose......never do I get a leak. Some of the folks use the whole leg of the tights, put it around the pillows and just over the tip of your nose, tie a flat knot at the back, now you have a larger circle. Its called the ladies tights fix..if you do a search on it. You can buy replacement pillows at cpap.com or ebay but..if you do another search for THE GREAT PILLOW EXCHANGE (yes all caps) you will see its the site that we trade unused pillows that we don't need. Most masks come with 3 different sized pillows in each package, we take out what we need and then trade the rest..again for what we need. Hope this has helped.
cheers
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:04 am

Are you using the thin fleece side strap covers? The ones that come with the mask setup?

Last winter I got the Padacheek heavier fleece side strap covers along with the barrel cozy and I found that it greatly reduced the slippage that I usually got with tossing and turning in the wee hours of the morning on the FX.

I routinely get multiple months of use with any nasal pillows that I used. I used to use the Swift LT until the Swift FX was available. Could it be facial oils adding to the slippage? Also how much Lansinoh are you using? Too much with body heat will tend to melt it...causing it to slide around.

Padacheek makes a barrel cozy and heavier fleece side strap covers for the LT and FX both.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

mrnetwurm

Post by mrnetwurm » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:15 am

I am using the standard headgear, but I have viewed the padacheek site and saw the many offerings.
Tonight I'll trying to determine if slippage is the issue.

A few months ago I had surgery to correct a 90% obstruction in one nostril and a turbunette reduction.
I absolutely love the feeling of breathing through my nose for the first time in my life (age 47).
The nasal pillow mask expands my nose even more and makes breathing so easy.

I'm actually in no hurry to remove it in the morning and sometimes just lay back and enjoy the air

Jerry

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:24 pm

nanwilson wrote:I take a pair of ladies tights (not nylons or panyhose) and cut one leg off at the thigh, then I cut a three inch round from the top. Now I have a nice little circle, I put that around my head with the front bit just holding the pillows to my nose......never do I get a leak. Some of the folks use the whole leg of the tights, put it around the pillows and just over the tip of your nose, tie a flat knot at the back, now you have a larger circle. Its called the ladies tights fix..if you do a search on it.
I would not be able to use my favorite nasal pillows mask if I did not add a homemade strap the second way Nan describes. I use the entire leg cut off a pair of "tights" to cradle the nasal pillows against my nostrils (doesn't have to be very snug...just "being there" stabilizes the pillows nicely), tying the ends high at the back of my head.

These pics of suggested ways to route one or two homemade straps are with a different mask than the Swift, but will give you the idea. The middle picture on the top row is a good way to "cradle" the nasal pillows with a single strap:
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

soundersfootballclub

Post by soundersfootballclub » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:05 pm

mrnetwurm wrote:

I have been using the LT for about 5 nights so far. On my back and left side I don't experience leakage. When I try to sleep on my right side I get serious leakage on the left side that's leaning against the pillow and have not been able to fix the situation yet with any type of adjusting. It's annoying! Sounds like you are not alone with this issue. I have noticed that sometimes when I think there is leakage it is the air coming out of the ventilator(?) that is at the front of the mask that is bouncing off my arm or my pillow and not a leak.

Resister

Post by Resister » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:55 pm

Subscribing to this thread since I have the same problem! Wake up after 3-5 hours with leakage. VERY hard to fall back asleep after adjustments and whatnot.
~Mama is happy when she sleeps with Pap-py~

mrnetwurm

Post by mrnetwurm » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:32 am

soundersfootballclub wrote:
mrnetwurm wrote:

I have been using the LT for about 5 nights so far. On my back and left side I don't experience leakage. When I try to sleep on my right side I get serious leakage on the left side that's leaning against the pillow and have not been able to fix the situation yet with any type of adjusting. It's annoying! Sounds like you are not alone with this issue. I have noticed that sometimes when I think there is leakage it is the air coming out of the ventilator(?) that is at the front of the mask that is bouncing off my arm or my pillow and not a leak.
I understand what you mean about the air from the ventilator being deceiving. I can tell the difference quite easily though. When the pillows leak I get a cool or cold feeling from the air escaping against my skin.

I actually think the vent is the most annoying part of using CPAP. I am limited to sleeping on my back or right side because a left side position blows air on my partner and she tends to get annoyed with it.

busylady

Post by busylady » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:28 am

Instead of cutting up tights, which I don't have, how would one of those 1+" wide hair bands work? Discovered one in a drawer. Think I'll try it tonight.
Avatar is one of 200+ elephants in a collection started when I was in kindergarden. Thought it was appropriate.