Taping

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SMenasco

Re: Taping

Post by SMenasco » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:21 pm

LinC, I don't think his user name is misspelled. He got it right. Really. It's all of us that are stupid. Archangle; that's the angle from which a mathematical formula can be devised to determine the curvature of the arch for the top of a spanish style door or window.

So, Doortop, are you going to be my friend or do I face rejection and throw caution to the wind, putting on (heaven forbid) TWO strips of tape tonight? I don't dislike you, Doortop, for your beliefs or even resent you lecturing me on the dangers. In fact, I appreciate you worrying about my taping. That way, it's no concern for me over which to lose any sleep, since you have become my surrogate worrier. But after conducting an experiment, you might very well be onto something. I taped up the air intake on my Harley, and it coughed, spit, and the engine quit. So I certainly won't do that anymore.

Archangle, no one likes to be the butt of jokes. I have always been able to resist anything but temptation. Your examples and admonitions were just too much of a temptation for me to let go unanswered. I know I have offended you and for that I would like to apologize. No, I really would like to.

physicsbob

Post by physicsbob » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:10 pm

Just for the record, I have "Taped" for over a year and a half. There is a way to settle at least part of this argument, and that is for one of us "tapers" to wear a recording oximeters and turn off their cpap machine and monitor their O2 levels to see if the oxygen drops to hazardous levels. I would do this but I don't have an oximeter.

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:13 pm

What evidence would it take to satisfy you? By your criteria it's impossible to show ANYTHING is safe.

The "medical experts" say that changing your settings is dangerous. More people do that than tape! Why aren't you warning us all about the risks of that? Where's your diatribe? Because no one has died from doing it on their own? Can you prove that? You apparently agree that, with knowledge, an average person can make the rewards worth the risk. How is taping different? You take precautions to REDUCE any perceived risks.

You claimed the other day that the FDA has condemned and issued warnings about "taping". That's not a function of the FDA. Can you show us their warning...or were you making that up? The burden of proof is on the claimant, as you like to say. For the record, I saw an ad the other day for FDA-approved adhesive mouth strips. Don't recall the brand name, but I found it interesting in light of your bogus claim.
Chicken Little wrote:It was only later after statistical studies were done that it became generally accepted that smoking causes cancer.
So the precedent is to do a statistical study before declaring something unsafe. Thank you. Let us know what you find...
Chicken Little wrote:you yourself tape all the time and haven't died yet
Another lie (or evidence you don't have a clue what you blather about)! I haven't taped since I got a Hybrid over two yrs ago. I'm starting to think you LIKE being wrong so much of the time...

Oh, I almost forgot! Why don't you FOE me if you don't like to see your imaginary risks being debunked?

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:19 pm

physicsbob wrote:There is a way to settle at least part of this argument
A great idea, but it wouldn't "settle" it. Chicken Little refuses to be swayed by facts OR logic...and probably can't even SPELL "statistics".

But *I'd* sure like to see the results. Any O2 watchers out there care to be the guinea pig?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:21 pm

Archangle:
Please tell us exactly how you feel about taping.
I adore your feistiness.

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:22 pm

SMenasco wrote:LinC, I don't think his user name is misspelled.
lol So you misspelled MINE to make a point??? lol (just razzin ya. )

Regards, LinkC

SMenasco

Post by SMenasco » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:38 pm

Physicsbob, my ox died and I am completely out of breath from dragging it into the taping room. Besides, why would anyone with just an ounce of orneriness want to settle this, anyway? Haven't you heard? Blue painter's tape has been added to the list of suspected aphrodisiacs. The source of this leaked information is top secret. If I told you, I'd have to. . .well, never mind. People, especially dirty old men like myself, for centuries have exposed themselves to terrible risks, great embarrassment and grave bodily harm just for a whiff of the old aphro. I'm surprised that you unnamed taping critics (you know who you are) haven't started clandestine taping in the closet. Think about it. This is really not unlikely. It would be safe for them, since they would be awake and not get sick and puke in their masks since they're standing up and also not be in there during an electrical storm. And they certainly wouldn't tell their next of kin what they were doing and why. So, please don't suggest we settle this thing until we know for sure that 3M doesn't soak old sticky blue in special love potions. Wait! Is there any significance to the color of the tape? The world wonders.

SMenasco

Post by SMenasco » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:38 pm

Physicsbob, my ox died and I am completely out of breath from dragging it into the taping room. Besides, why would anyone with just an ounce of orneriness want to settle this, anyway? Haven't you heard? Blue painter's tape has been added to the list of suspected aphrodisiacs. The source of this leaked information is top secret. If I told you, I'd have to. . .well, never mind. People, especially dirty old men like myself, for centuries have exposed themselves to terrible risks, great embarrassment and grave bodily harm just for a whiff of the old aphro. I'm surprised that you unnamed taping critics (you know who you are) haven't started clandestine taping in the closet. Think about it. This is really not unlikely. It would be safe for them, since they would be awake and not get sick and puke in their masks since they're standing up and also not be in there during an electrical storm. And they certainly wouldn't tell their next of kin what they were doing and why. So, please don't suggest we settle this thing until we know for sure that 3M doesn't soak old sticky blue in special love potions. Wait! Is there any significance to the color of the tape? The world wonders.

SMenasco

Post by SMenasco » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:51 pm

LinmK; Sorry about that. After checking, I finally got it right.
No, I normally don't repeat myself. No, I normally don't repeat myself.

physicsbob

Post by physicsbob » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:57 pm

SMenasco My wife says that my wearing Blue painters tape is definitely not a aphrodisiac for her, She does however like to torment me by asking me a whole bunch of questions after I come to bed with my mouth taped up. She definitely does get the last word in. I haven't been able to win an argument since I started on cpcp.

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:52 pm

archangle wrote:Many people are quite happy taping despite the risks.
And I'm quite happy to drive to church on Sunday morning despite the risks, and to ride my Goldwing to join a coffee group a couple times a week despite the risks. Hell, I'm even quite content to breathe regularly despite the risks!!

SMenasco

Post by SMenasco » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:05 am

Don't you know by now that women ALWAYS hve the last word? Besides, that's just a few more inquiries that you don't
have to answer. I used to spell out the answer on her arm, but it tickled so much that she finally quits talking when she sees the tape.

moresleep

Post by moresleep » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:59 am

I'm sure that taping comes with some risks that should be considered, and I wouldn't suggest that anyone try taping as a first resort. But, after you determine that a serious mouth leak issue is not going away and that chin straps don't help, what is there left to do? Untreated sleep apnea is very dangerous, as we all know. Bottom line, for me it's far riskier not to tape than to tape. I use the 2" 3M Micropore/Rescare tape, and it works quite well. I do fold over flaps at the ends to make it easy to remove. For those who do not have battery backup, an alarm that sounds when the power goes off ($20 or so at Radio Shack) is a good idea.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:18 am

moresleep wrote:I'm sure that taping comes with some risks that should be considered, and I wouldn't suggest that anyone try taping as a first resort. But, after you determine that a serious mouth leak issue is not going away and that chin straps don't help, what is there left to do? Untreated sleep apnea is very dangerous, as we all know. Bottom line, for me it's far riskier not to tape than to tape. I use the 2" 3M Micropore/Rescare tape, and it works quite well. I do fold over flaps at the ends to make it easy to remove. For those who do not have battery backup, an alarm that sounds when the power goes off ($20 or so at Radio Shack) is a good idea.
You took the words right out of my contentedly taped-every-night mouth, moresleep.

The only thing I'd add to "after you determine that a serious mouth leak issue is not going away and that chin straps don't help, what is there left to do?" is... inserting and that Full Face masks don't suit you before writing "what is there left to do?"
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:26 am

rested gal wrote:The only thing I'd add to "after you determine that a serious mouth leak issue is not going away and that chin straps don't help, what is there left to do?" is... inserting and that Full Face masks don't suit you before writing "what is there left to do?"
Amen.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.