aerophagia and diverticulosis

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
brothermike

aerophagia and diverticulosis

Post by brothermike » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:32 am

I was hospitalized last summer with diverticulitis. I stayed in a week and responded to the anti biotics and avoided the necessity of surgery. I had stopped using my CPAP for the few days prior to my hospitalization because I was deathly sick.

I tried to resume CPAP when I got back home. Aerophagia concerned me as I was diagnosed with extensive diverticulosis and recovering from an infection.

Now, here's the really fun part....my Sleep Doctor...told me that it was unlikely that air would get into my digestive tract with CPAP....or at least very little...

I've been feeling better lately after a second, albeit, less severe infection and the past three nights I've hooked up....this a.m....the aerophagia has been pronounced. Thankfully, I've been eliminating the air as flatulence with no known repercussions...

My Sleep Doctor is a successful and respected individual. I can't understand his denial of the condition of aerophagia.

RandyJ

Re: aerophagia and diverticulosis

Post by RandyJ » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:07 am

Your profile shows the Quattro FX full face mask. Aerophagia seems to be less pronounced with nasal or nasal pillow masks. Is there any chance you could experiment with a different kind of mask to see if you'll have better results?

Alt masks Swift FX pillows, Mirage FX nasal mask, Mirage Quattro full face mask

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:12 am

Sleeping on the left side helped me.
Also buries my good ear in the pillow-

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:15 am

brothermike wrote: My Sleep Doctor is a successful and respected individual. I can't understand his denial of the condition of aerophagia.
Probably because he has never known what it feels like to be blown up like a balloon. No practical experience. Common unfortunately.

You have a BiPap? What are your pressure settings? Do you have the software to see your reports?
It might be possible that a small reduction in one of the pressure settings would relieve your aerophagia symptoms and not adversely affect your therapy effectiveness.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.