New to CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Babeheart

New to CPAP

Post by Babeheart » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:41 am

Hello everyone. I have just been told that I need to begin CPAP therapy and that I need to use an auto CPAP machine with a humidifier. I've been reading some of the posts here and I keep coming across the term "rainout"; now I'm a well educated person so I get the idea, but does this always happen with humidifers? I'm also a little confused with all the different models that are available, can anyone recommend a good and relatively inexpensive machine. I live in Canada and have been getting quotes in the area of $3,000; there has got to be another alternative, so if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate them.

Thanks and Sleep well
Jennifer

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:38 am

Rainout is from turning the humidifier up too high or having the air temp in the room too cold. Just like a glass of ice water it developes condensation on the outside of the glass, same thing happens with the humidifier, condensation builds on the inside of the hose.

I have never gotten rainout, and I can see a "mist" go in and out as I breathe. During the winter time I use the Aussie heated hose to warm the cool air, not turning my humidifier up, it stays on 2 all year long.

Canada is a lot different than in the states, but I think the same applies, if you get one of the top 3 machines you'll have better support. If you get a machine no one else is using and need an emergency adjustment, your stuck.

From my readings, the same machines are available in Canada, you just have to go about getting them differently based upon your laws. But the top 3 autopaps are:

Respironics Remstar Auto w/Cflex
Resmed Spirit (old model) Resmed S8 (new model)
PB-420E

I've owned and used all of the above, I like the Remstar Cflex machine the best. You WILL need a heated humidifier with any machine you get, get the humidifier made for your machine for the most compact footprint.

Julie

New to Cpap

Post by Julie » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:52 am

Hi, I'm in N.S. and have been using a Remstar auto x 2 yrs. It seems to be the most 'popular' and reliable machine around. I disagree that you 'have' to have the humidifier, but that's probably because we're surrounded by water here(!), but I would certainly be sure I got a machine with it, whether or not you feel the need to use it at some point. Insurance co's routinely cover the cost of the machine and either 1-2 replacement masks a year, as long as your MD writes a prescription for the machine, but you won't need one for any new mask or related equipment that you get. Good luck with yours, and write whenever.

luvmykatz

Post by luvmykatz » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:17 pm

Hi Babeheart. I am also new to CPAP. I have been using an Acclaim nasal mask and had no rainout whatsoever. However, when I changed over to an Infinity nasal pillow I did have rainout. I was surprised that a change of mask could do that with the same machine. I went back to my Acclaim and again no rainout. I am now demo-ing a SNAPP nasal pillow and had slight rainout last night (first night with it). With the Acclaim I had my humidity up to max and no problem. Then the Infinity and rainout. After I turned it down I was able to use the Infinity with no problem. With the SNAPP and the humidity turned down I had some rainout. So, it seems to me the mask makes a difference as well as room temperature (my heat is set to a constant level at night). I'm only in my 4th week of CPAP, but this has been my experience. I hope it helps.

Jim Eads

Post by Jim Eads » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:38 pm

Rainout occurs more readily when the diameter of the hose is reduced.

I have an Activa and rainout is not a problem. i also have an Aura with a smaller diameter hose and have much more rainout.

The REMstar APAP w/ C-flex can be found online for $760 US.

Jim

Darth Vader Look

Post by Darth Vader Look » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:00 pm

If you are in Ontario it is a requirement by the ADP (assistive devices program) to get a CPAP or APAP, heated humidifier, carry all case, mask and a 3 year warranty on the unit in order to have them pay up to 75% or $780. This is what a DME must do here or they will not be on the list of recommended vendors. This can vary from province to province. A BiPAP is handled differently since it costs more. Unfortunately you have to buy your machine in Ontario from a preferred list of vendors/DMEs if you expect to be have up to the $780 covered by the ADP program. The vendor has to do all the paperwork which is a good thing.