The Flight Attendant from Hell

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
So Well

The Flight Attendant from Hell

Post by So Well » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:40 am

My wife pointed out this article to me. Can you imagine if you tried to use your CPAP? Tape your mouth?

Click on the link.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... lenews_wsj

They turned the damn plane around against the passenger's objections!
So Well
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and the government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

rosacer

Re: The Flight Attendant from Hell

Post by rosacer » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:50 am

wmcanally

Post by wmcanally » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:17 am

I wouldnt have had a problem giving someone a antacid. Nexium is a prescription drug. But i had a asthma atack once in LAs Vegas. A by stander gave me a inhaler. It saved me a trip to the ER. Why would a flight attendant refuse a passanger help from another person. I have experienced some attendants that should be in a non public job, not people persons at all.

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:20 pm

Well, on the one hand I agree that she's the FA from hell. On the other hand, her effort to bypass basic common sense and instead 'go by the book' may be a result of our sue-happy society. The FA and the airline may have legally done the right thing by diverting the flight so the person could get proper medical attention. The FA doesn't know the patient or the patients history. So lets suppose the person actually was having a heart attack but didn't realize it and the FA just gave the person a nexium and continuted the flight. If the person died from the heart attack, then she would stll be the FA from hell and both she and the airline will be sued for gross negligence. So, the FA was probably trained in these procedures and was following the guidelines which were most likely put in place by the airlines attorneys in the attempt to protect the airline from a lawsuit.

Same with the nurse on the airline who is a professional. If a nurse just gave the person the nexium and the person died from a heart attack, the nurse could get sued for negligence as well, rather than be rewarded for a humanitarian effort. I often wonder if some doctors or nurses who witness emergencies in public may go the other way and remain unknown rather than to declare "I'm a doctor" and try to intervene and run the risk of failing and ultimately getting sued for negligence.

Pretty sad society we live in where political correctness and fear of a lawsuit may often take precedence over basic common sense and decency.

PS: So Well...shouldn't this be labled as OT?
Thinking of quitting CPAP?

No problem, here's the first thing to do when you quit:

Advanced funeral planning. When you give up CPAP, you'll probably need it.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:35 pm

The lessons we learn here are:
1: Do not EVER forget to carry on ALL of your medications;
2: Fear of flying is well-founded.

tomjax

Post by tomjax » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:25 pm

NOt certain if this patient was taking Nexiuim and simply did not have it or had not taken them and someone decided he needed one for his GI distress.
Nexium and the others are not for immediate relief.
They take several days to start their action.
This is where immediate acting antacids are indicated.
Tums, rolaids,maalox etc.
The PPi do an amazing job but soon they cause a rebound effect and the dose must be doubled.
The relux and acid is caused by the ppi which then treats it..
No Way a person can get off them.

My wife is trying to get off them.

RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:37 pm

tomjax wrote: No Way a person can get off them.

My wife is trying to get off them.
I got off them. I had been taking the maximum dose of Prevacid for years, and was starting to see the cumulative side effects and the rebound.

When I did it, it was definitely not a pretty three months, but I got off of them and won't go back. It is possible.

Breathe Jimbo

Post by Breathe Jimbo » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:56 pm

ameriken wrote:I often wonder if some doctors or nurses who witness emergencies in public may go the other way and remain unknown rather than to declare "I'm a doctor" and try to intervene and run the risk of failing and ultimately getting sued for negligence.
It is an absolute certainty that that does in fact occur.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:39 pm

I think the Good Samaritan law would protect anyone who tried to help, at least in the US. Not sure how this would work in mid -air.

This does sound a bit like a Nexium commercial tho. No specific info was provided so I will discount it as PR for Nexium.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

Kairosgrammy

Post by Kairosgrammy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:11 pm

wmcanally wrote:I wouldnt have had a problem giving someone a antacid. Nexium is a prescription drug. But i had a asthma atack once in LAs Vegas. A by stander gave me a inhaler. It saved me a trip to the ER. Why would a flight attendant refuse a passanger help from another person. I have experienced some attendants that should be in a non public job, not people persons at all.
Thank God for bystanders. The whole thing boiled down to being afraid of being sued. Perhaps she'd been in a similar situation with a bad outcome. You never know what happened before you enter a situation. I'm not saying that she might not have been a )(*)(* but she might have already been in trouble for an opposite situation. You just don't know. Not that I wouldn't myself have been ticked off.
'