Intro from a newbie/No health insurance

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
49er

Intro from a newbie/No health insurance

Post by 49er » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:35 am

Hi,

I have been tentatively diagnosed with sleep apnea on the basis of a home study test and am waiting for the final report from my doctor. She couldn't tell me the severity but to be honest, i would be surprised if it was mild.

If I do have it, I will need to rent a cpap machine that does autotitration to get the right pressure. And of course, I will need a mask and the appropriate supplies.

It seems like it would be easier to order from a local DME since they would fit me with right mask. But I just called one place and they obviously are in price gouge mode.

It is best to order from a place like CPAP.com and get the mask insurance policy so I can return ones that aren't suitable?

There is another online place that is a two hour drive I might consider driving to and see if they could help.

Let me know if you need more specific information. I have already done alot of reading but am starting to feel overwhelmed with so much information.

Thanks!

49er

Pugsy

Re: Intro from a newbie/No health insurance

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:45 am

There is a mask trial available that won't break the wallet. http://www.cpaplibrary.com/mask-trials.html

Even using a DME mask fit can be a problem. Can you normally breathe through your nose just fine during the day? If you can I would suggest that you start off with a nasal pillow mask like I use. They have the smallest footprint on the face and easier to seal because of less surface area.

Machine? If the DME costs more than online...buy online. They are easy to set up and use. No need for monthly rental costs. The PR System One APAP that I have in my profile can be bought at cpap.com for just a little over $600 for the machine, humidifier, travel case, SD card and long hose. Full data machine. Software is easily available for it to see which pressure works best for you..check my signature line for more information on the software.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

49er

Post by 49er » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:57 am

Thanks Pugsy for your quick response.

Usually, I can breath through my nose with some effort. I have chronic sinisitus and a deviated septum. Unfortunately, the usual remedies (sinus rinsing and various nasal sprays) has not worked.

I would love to use a nasal pillow mask. It sounds like in reading various posts it is a mixed bag as to whether someone like me can use it or not.

Thank you for your advice on the PR System one machine. I think I was thinking of renting for the 1st month out of concern that APAP might not be the best choice. But I also read it can be turned into a regular CPAP machine if necessary. Is that accurate?

I will definitely check out that mask rental site.

Thanks again for your great information

49er

Paul56

Post by Paul56 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:32 pm

49er wrote:It seems like it would be easier to order from a local DME since they would fit me with right mask.
You may find a good DME that will work with you, but most will not be very cooperative
with having you trial different masks. They will suggest one mask, fit you for that mask
and send you on your way. Going back to try trial a different mask will be greeting with
a brick wall unless you are willing to purchase all masks you trial.

My view of DME's is that their first priority is sales with your care being a distant second.
You are better off going to online vendors such as cpap.com for your equipment. Be very
leery of online ads in craigslist or other such places as what you end up with may not be
quite what was advertised... bottom line is you don't know what is has been through or
where it has been unless it is new.

NotSleepingBeauty

Post by NotSleepingBeauty » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:31 pm

I am trialing two masks right now from CPAP Library. The Mirage Liberty, do not want! And the Quattro FX. I got the Mirage Quattro full face mask from my DME. My particular DME has a 30 day trial on all masks.

I would not hesitate to buy online once you find one you like. Also there is a wealth of knowledge on YouTube on how to fit masks yourself at home, and those videos have been more helpful to me than the DME for learning how to put on and adjust a mask.

If you do not have insurance that will pay for your mask, I suggest getting the insurance. You never know what you will like or dislike.
NSB

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm

49er wrote: Thank you for your advice on the PR System one machine. I think I was thinking of renting for the 1st month out of concern that APAP might not be the best choice. But I also read it can be turned into a regular CPAP machine if necessary. Is that accurate?
Correct, the APAP machines can be used in cpap mode...so 2 machines in one. Never know when APAP might come in handy. Cost difference is not huge. Cpap machines...one mode of operation which is straight cpap. Also the PR S1 APAP can be used in APAP mode but with minimum and maximum set to exactly the same...effectively making it work like a CPAP machine but there is data available in APAP mode that is not available in cpap mode. FLow Limitations...is only available in APAP mode.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:44 pm

The other advantage to getting an APAP right off the bat is that you can titrate on the same machine you'll be using all the time for better accuracy.

You MAY be able to use a nasal pillow mask--sometimes it's just the thing you need to clear your sinuses enough to use it.

It's the manufacturers, NOT the DME's, who have a mask return policy. If you can find a DME who will work with you, paying for your first mask from a DME might be better, if only because you can physically try on masks and return them easily within the first 30 days to try a different mask instead. But this won't work with every DME--when shopping around for one ask the following questions:
1. What is your mask return policy? (beware a DME who says you can return a mask only 1 x or you must do all your trials within the first 30 days--it's 30 days PER mask!).
2. When I come in for a fitting, will I be able to try on differnt masks? Do you have samples I can try at home before committing to a particular mask?
3. Will you still work with me on the mask, even if I don't buy my machine from you?

Once you find the right mask for you, you won't need to worry about returns and trying others as much (sometimes conditions change and you need a different mask like weight gain or loss, sinus infection, etc.), so you won't be stuck having to buy from the DME all the time. But the first time it's CAN be helpful if the DME is willing to work with you instead of against you.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:01 pm

For 49er and anyone else reading...if you're a veteran, try hooking up with the VA. I know for myself and others we've been able to get studied, titrated, and set up with equipment. Takes a bit of time, but for me it was a blessing that i am truly thankful for.
Thinking of quitting CPAP?

No problem, here's the first thing to do when you quit:

Advanced funeral planning. When you give up CPAP, you'll probably need it.

gailandartie

Post by gailandartie » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:42 am

I just sent you a private message PM

49er

Post by 49er » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:36 am

Wow, thank you all for your help.

Paul56 - Thanks, cpap.com is definitely one site I have marked as a possible purchase site. No, it never occurred to me to buy on Craig's List. Too many variables.

NotSleepingBeauty - I agree there is plenty of online knowledge about masks. And good idea about getting the insurance.

Pugsy, thanks for answering my questions about the APAP machine.

Janknitz - Great point about the APAP machine and great advice about finding a local DME to work with. Thanks for the encouragement about the possibility of using a nasal pillow mask.

Ameriken - I am not a veteran but thanks for the suggestion. Glad you were able to get assistance from the VA