question about a pharmaceutical any had any experience

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MooCat

Re: question about a pharmaceutical any had any experience

Post by MooCat » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:59 am

I too have used Nortriptyline both for help with sleep regulation (most recently) and years ago I was on it for about a 3 year stretch for panic attacks and mild depression. For depression, the doses required are up in the 100 milligram plus range. For sleep, the dose is typically 10-25 mg. At this low dose, side effects are usually much fewer -- as Pugsy and others have noted. Also, if it is of any reassurance to you, this class of "tricyclic" drugs have been safely used since the 1950's -- so they have a good, long track record of safety. (That was important to me.)

Also, doctors have started prescribing various "antidepressants" for pain, back aches and sleep issues too. (I have all three -- fibromyalgia, which is a pain disorder, a bad lower back AND now sleep apnea). They've discovered that for things like chronic pain, sometimes the brain or nervous system starts getting "over-sensitized" to pain signals. The way I think of it is like a radio tuned to static, the static is one's pain level. For some people, that radio gets stuck at volume 11, even after the initial injury or problem (like a bad back or a frozen shoulder) has subsided some. Doctors have found that certain drugs in LOW doses, like the Nortriptyline, seem to help the brain to "turn down the volume" on these pain signals. I myself currently take both Cymbalta (a newer generation of anti-depressant) AND gabapentine (a drug "traditionally" prescribed for nerve pain, but also seems to be helpful in turning down those pain signals).

Lastly, Nortriptyline and related tricyclics have been shown in studies to help the brain "reset" itself sometimes. That is, the regulation provided by this drug can help the brain get it's rhythm back (so to speak) in terms of neurotransmitter levels in the brain (being too low, for example). In all, this drug has proven over many years to be both very safe and highly effective. Aside from fears about starting a new drug whilst your doc is unavailable, which is certainly a valid fear!!!, I hope this info helps you at least a little bit to be willing to try it, despite your fear. It may very well be a great help, to speed you on the road to recovering good health. At least, I hope so!

Please do keep us posted on whatever you do decide to do, and how you are doing. Wishing you a happy holiday.
MooCat

Reenee

Post by Reenee » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:59 pm

Thank you moocat!

tomjax

Post by tomjax » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:56 am

In my pharmacy, I once had a young lady who had a continuing Rx for elavil.
One day she and her sister came in for her refill and started giggling.
Her sister asked me if I knew why she was taking it.
She then said she read about a side effect that it caused her boobs to grow.
She said it worked although I never had heard of such.
Strange things happen at a pharmacy and especially mine.
I could write a book about pills and people.

I had several "crazy" people and it seemed they all came on the same day.
I called it the day for the crazies.
One lady came in asked where my PERSONNEL hygiene products were located.

I also had the dumbest question of the day- week, month.
My winner was the gentleman who came in and looked for a long time.
I finally asked him what he was looking for and I would help him.
He said he need something for HIS vaginitis.
Go figure