Cat Help?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bap40

Cat Help?

Post by bap40 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:34 am

I have trouble keeping my hoses intact while living with cat's. I have tried several materiels to cover the hoses with and of course not so great results. I remove them all during the day so they have no access to them but when sleeping I have a problem. Any idea's ?????? Can't lock them out room during the night either.
Brooke

ninjatrigg

Re: Cat Help?

Post by ninjatrigg » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:39 am

I lock mine out of the room at night. Its the only way.

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:43 am

Do they go under the covers? We don't sleep with the cats in the room as they tend to sleep on our heads for some odd reason... but I do sleep with my hose under the covers with me. Maybe that will allow less access to them?

Another option would be to crate them at night - but they aren't dogs. . .so I don't know how that would fly. You might end up with a destroyed piece of furniture the next day.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:44 am

Are they biting, clawing or both? When are they doing this? While you're still awake, sleeping or again, both?

The only thing I can think of is training, teaching them to stay away from your equipment.

I have six indoor cats and I think ONE of them showed an interest in my hose. A few days of "NO!" and pushing him away seemed to solve it.

While some people may not like this, squirt guns/bottles tend to work to deter cats. Doesn't hurt them, but sure irritates them!

I'm sorry I don't have anything better, but it's all I got!! Make them NOT want to be anywhere near your hose.

JamesW6175

Post by JamesW6175 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:58 am

We have five(5) indoor cats and they have never showed any interest of my CPAP equipment. We leave dry food out for them all night long , and they have their toys in the living room. We have six cat beds on high places for them to sleep in at night. We do not shut them out of any bedrooms at night while we are sleeping. Might try some cat calming treats before going to bed at night to see if this helps or peppermint oil / scent - supposed to have some of the same properties of catnip.
Maybe play with them more at night before going to bed or give them some more attention. Good luck.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:00 am

Have you tried a Padacheek hose cozy? Hers are very dense and thick. It would take much more effort for teeth to penetrate it and I don't think claws could do it.

I just got a new kitty and she is the first one to even pay attention to the hose. So far she doesn't want to get in bed at night due to the presence of the pug dog.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:03 am

Pugsy wrote:Have you tried a Padacheek hose cozy? Hers are very dense and thick. It would take much more effort for teeth to penetrate it and I don't think claws could do it.

I just got a new kitty and she is the first one to even pay attention to the hose. So far she doesn't want to get in bed at night due to the presence of the pug dog.
**chuckles** that's the ticket. . .get a dog? (joking)

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:05 am

Wrap chicken wire around your hose a few days - animals hate to hook their nails in it.

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:13 am

go to an auto parts store like napa and buy a length of corrugated plastic tubing that they use under the hood of your car to enclose wiring harness. it has a slit down the full length so yo can slide your hose into it. you can buy any length you want and kitty won't bite into it or claw it. sorta looks like a plastic vacuum cleaner hose. i use it to organize wires behind my entertainment center.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:26 am

Bitter apple for cats?

bap40

Post by bap40 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:02 am

Thanks for all the suggestions. BTW I have 2 dogs also so although it's funny. My problem stems from only 1 ofthe 3 cats. This one cat is my shadow chews on everything, cords, shoe laces anything he can find. I do use bitter apple on electrical wires but doesn't last long. My husband jumped on the auto parts store fix and will be making a trip today! Hooray thanks so much.
Brooke

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:02 pm

This is funny:
A few months back, the Sheriff mentioned cutting an old cpap hose up to organize wires.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:14 am

I've been fortunate. I have two cats who sleep on the bed, and they have shown zero interest in it. They both sniffed my mask the first day and decided it wasn't dangerous. Quinn (my avatar), likes to curl up next to me. I have found my hose under her and over her, and she completely ignores it. I have also slept in a hotel room with another person's cat also loose in the room. I did wake up at 2:30am, to his face in my face. I think he swatted at my mask. He was jumping forward and back. I don't know if he thought it was a toy if he was trying to save me from the alien. It was pretty funny.

I do plan to get a kitten in October, so I may have to put a hose cover on it for protection. I keep it in a closed drawer during the day, so the only risk is at night. I did get a nose hose back in December that I have not opened yet. I intend to keep a backup so that I am okay if something does happen.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

thousandeyes

Post by thousandeyes » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:46 am

No help, just have to laugh and add my kitten story - I am a total newbie, 3 weeks use, and have a 4 month old curious kitten. She initially showed little interest.... eek, whats that mummy has on her head...? get away fast... and I thought 'great' but I spoke too soon..... night 5 she came right up and started patting my face, sniffing then licking the hose. I got the giggles, snorted, had to turn it off to compose myself. Turned it back on with stern words, and I thought all was well, but then she turned the machine off. Kitten is now barred from the bedroom. I guess she will learn in time.

PST

Post by PST » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:54 am

greatunclebill wrote:go to an auto parts store like napa and buy a length of corrugated plastic tubing that they use under the hood of your car to enclose wiring harness. it has a slit down the full length so yo can slide your hose into it. you can buy any length you want and kitty won't bite into it or claw it. sorta looks like a plastic vacuum cleaner hose. i use it to organize wires behind my entertainment center.
I've also bought that stuff at places like Best Buy or Staples, if that's more convenient. I got it for wires, too. My old cat ignores the hose.