Do nasal pillows work better at keeping sinuses open?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Always tired

Do nasal pillows work better at keeping sinuses open?

Post by Always tired » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:34 am

I have seen a few comments on the forum about nasal pillows "blasting the sinuses open" and just wondered if nasal pillows, in general, work better than nasal or FF masks at keeping you open?
Pugsy recommended the Aloha to me and my sleep lab is going to let me try one the next time a batch comes in. I would think the sinuses would be dried out more using them, any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks,
A T

Pugsy

Re: Do nasal pillows work better at keeping sinuses open?

Post by Pugsy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:40 am

Always tired wrote: I would think the sinuses would be dried out more using them, any comments would be appreciated.
I think that the more direct added humidity actually helps hydrate the nasal mucosa. I always breathe so much better in the morning when I get up. Now if someone didn't use a humidifier or a used a very low setting...yeah it might dry things out a bit but then so would about anything that is used.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

bap40

Post by bap40 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:21 am

Nasal pillows work best for me as far as the sinuses go. It does feel like the pillows do blow open my sinuses but scientifically not sure.
Brooke

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:33 am

According to my ENT the answer is "Yes". I found that using the hybrid has helped a lot with congestion while still handling my mouth breathing. Just turn up the humidity if it bothers you - different masks seem to need different levels of humidity.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Insopitus

Post by Insopitus » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:55 am

I have had sinus problems for a good part of my life. When I began using I was diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea in October 2012 and began using the Swift FX nasal pillow mask. I used it steadily for about three months but, because of mouth-breathing issues, switched over to the Quattro FX full face mask in early January of this year. I use a maximum pressure of 8cm for both masks. Even though I had mouth-breathing problems with the nasal pillow mask, which I kind of solved with the use of a chin-strap, I noticed almost immediately that my sinus condition cleared up.

I thought when I changed to the Quattro FX that I would lose the benefit to my sinuses since, as you intimated, I would lose that steady, direct flow of air directly into the nostrils. After about six weeks of steady Quattro FX use, however, my sinuses are still in great shape.

I don't think the type of mask is the reason that my sinuses cleared up. I believe it is because I use a humidifier and have Climateline hose which keeps the air at a nice warm temperature (in my case--77 degrees). This is what solved my sinus condition.

Hope the above is helpful.

Always tired

Post by Always tired » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:05 am

Insopitus wrote:I believe it is because I use a humidifier and have Climateline hose which keeps the air at a nice warm temperature (in my case--77 degrees). This is what solved my sinus condition.
Do you use a separate humidifier in your bedroom?
Also I do not have an S9, and think the Climateline hose is unique to that model. Can you adjust the temperature on the Climateline?
Thanks to everyone for the input
A T

khauser

Post by khauser » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:27 am

As I commented elsewhere the reason I think nasal pillows work for those of us with "clogged sinuses" is that the pressure is only WITHIN the nasal cavities. Any other kind of interface means there will be pressure inside and outside (like breathing without CPAP, except of course the pressure is higher).

I put "clogged sinuses" in quotes because it really isn't your sinuses so much as the nostrils themselves. Some of us, like myself, have flow restrictions right in the nostrils, and nasal pillows really helps a lot with that. I am certainly not discounting the other replies ... the humidity plays a big role too.

I started off with a nasal mask. I was able to use it, but the first 30-60 MINUTES of each night were spent half CPAP-ing, half mouth breathing (I'm awake this whole time) while my nasal system cleared. It turns out that if you FORCE yourself to breathe through the nose the body will do everything it can to make that pathway clear, at least in my experience. But I hated that time ... I couldn't sleep and felt like I couldn't breathe well. Actually, it was all exhaust related ... I could inhale but couldn't exhale without forcing it, so I'd get behind, open my mouth and deflate, then start over. With nasal pillows I don't have that problem at all.

simplyme

Post by simplyme » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:53 am

Always tired wrote:I have seen a few comments on the forum about nasal pillows "blasting the sinuses open" and just wondered if nasal pillows, in general, work better than nasal or FF masks at keeping you open?
... I would think the sinuses would be dried out more using them, any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks,
A T
Hi. I used Swift FX nasal pillows for a while when using my old CPAP with humidifier on very low (sometimes off with air just blowing over the water, can't stand to much humidity, but found I needed the moisture to avoid drying out and getting bloody nose) but had no heated tubing... and found that they worked well enough to keep me feeling like my sinuses were "open" as long as I did not have a cold. It ended up that I was on way too low a pressure for my needs (only a 7), and the nasal pillows were the only ones that made me feel like I could get any air at all. The nasal and FF masks now feel like I have open sinuses since my new Dr. upped my pressure to 13. Just a side point if you do try the nasal pillows, I found that if my nose was not completely dry on the inside edge where the pillows come into contact with it I would feel extreme irritation of my sinuses. so grab a tissue or cotton swab and carefully dry things out before you put the pillows in, and make sure it feels like air is coming out both sides evenly. If not wiggle the pillows around until they each are pointed up and into the nostril properly, that way one side won't get to dried out during the night.

angcor580

Post by angcor580 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:14 pm

Wish I had the same luck with nasal pillows. I have chronic sinusitis and was not able to tolerate the hybrid mask. I am back on a FF mask.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:37 pm

What happens to clog the nose up are the nasal turbinates. They are funny little things. Give them too much moisture and they swell up...give them too little moisture and they swell up. End result when they swell up is we just can't breathe well and some people blame the sinuses but it really isn't the sinuses.
Also when they swell up (either from too much or too little) moisture we get those other allergy like symptoms that make us miserable. Itchy nose (want to scratch the inside with a wire brush), runny nose, congestion, sneezing, pressure in the sinuses so bad the teeth hurt. I get every one of those if my nasal mucosa dry out and that is why I use a setting that delivers a good amount of humidity and why I get to add water to the tank (full line) every night. I never have enough left to go a second night.
Always tired wrote:Also I do not have an S9, and think the Climateline hose is unique to that model. Can you adjust the temperature on the Climateline?
The ClimateLine is a heated hose specific to the ResMed S9 machine.

Your machine is not a 60 series model is it? You can look on the bottom of the machine for the 3 digit model number...if the last 2 digits are 60 then it is a 60 series machine and it does have an option for a heated hose modification so you would have better control over temperature and humidity delivered.
With the climateline hose we can set it for automatic delivery of 80% humidity and alter the temperature to our comfort level or we can set it up so we can alter both temperature and humidity level.
The 60 series machines have a similar option.

If your machine is a 50 series machine it can't be made into a 60 series machine. You could use a stand alone heated hose.
You also have the option to change over to a different method of humidification. The default method is Respronics new fangled method that uses sensors in the machine to sense the ambient room humidity and make adjustments to heat so that humidity delivered stays constant. I have never been able to find out what that level is in a %. This new fangled method uses less heat and less water. In the CLinical menu there is the option to change it over to Classic Mode which works with heat only like we used in the years past. It will deliver more moisture at the same setting than the New fancy mode does. It uses more water.
I like the new fancy mode in the summer time because the air isn't quite so warm but in the winter time I found that even set at 5 I was getting ice cube nose (I have a cold bedroom) because the air was so cold coming in that the machine couldn't get it warm enough for my comfort. It was so cold it woke me up. So in the winter time I use the Classic mode...warms the air up so I don't get ice cube nose anymore.
I used to have a stand alone heated hose..Hybernite 2300 but I sold it during the summer to someone in Australia) winter there who needed it and since I also have a S9 machine I don't really have to have a heated hose for my 50 series machine...I can just use the S9 during the winter. I like both machines anyway.

So I bet you didn't know that you could have more warmth with Classic mode.
The down side to Classic mode is that with more heat and the more water being used then the chances of rain out increase.
Rain out is indeed annoying. No one likes to snort water up the nose or get a cold shower (I have done both and that is why I originally bought the Hybernite hose). Not to mention the noise that a tablespoon of water in the hose can make.
My number one goal has always been "get good sleep" so I do whatever it takes to get good sleep and keep my nasal mucosa happy because I don't like being miserable from dried up nasal mucosa.
If rain out happens...there are ways to deal with it. The Hybernite 2300 enabled me to use my preferred higher settings and not have to deal with rain out....not have to use a hose cozy, etc.

All this is a long way from the original question about nasal pillows keeping the sinuses open. It isn't so much the sinuses as it is those nasal turbinates and their response to humidified air. When I get some cold symptoms the first thing I do is max out the humidifier because the extra humidity helps decrease the swelling in my nasal mucosa. Think hot steamy shower and how that helps for a little while. While these humidifiers don't go that warm...its a similar function in that during a hot steamy shower you are breathing in air that has a lot more moisture in it.

Most people need more humidity when using cpap therapy to keep the nasal mucosa well hydrated. There are some people who seem to need less and their nasal mucosa rebel when they get too much moisture. If playing the odds...more humidity reduces congestion in most people. Nasal pillows offer an excellent way of delivering a good amount of that moisture.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Always tired

Post by Always tired » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:15 pm

Pugsy,
I do not know if I have a 60 series or not, and am not home to verify.

Stopped by the sleep center and they "loaned" me the Aloha pillows to test out. What is the name of that lotion that many of you pillow users apply on the nares for irritation?
Thanks to all and the detailed explanations
A T

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:22 pm

Lansinoh lanolin ...found in the baby section where nipples, pacifiers are found. It's rather pricey but you only use a tiny bit so it lasts forever. Just a tiny bit around the nostrils.

Or you can try KY lubricant but for me it was rather slippery...and didn't stay as tacky feeling as the Lansinoh. I didn't like the feel of the KY and I don't think it has the healing powers of Lansinoh. After all...it really wasn't designed for healing.

Look on the bottom of your machine for that 3 digit number. The 60 series machines were first released in March of last year.
Some people got the 60 series blower but not the heated hose part. All that is needed is a different power supply, the heated hose and a different lid on the humidifier to make a 60 series blower machine in to a heated hose thing.

When you put the Aloha on...don't over tighten it. If you look in the mirror and you think your nose looks like piggy nose....things are too tight...It should not move the nose/nostrils at all. Biggest mistake people make with the nasal pillow masks is they have things too tight. I can put on and remove my Swift FX with one finger...it's that loose and still seals great during the night.

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:00 pm

Always tired wrote:I have seen a few comments on the forum about nasal pillows "blasting the sinuses open"
I don't know how accurate that quote is, but the nasal pillows seems to work fine on my congested sinuses. I can feel the pressure pushing at the congestion and going through to at least one side.

Tino2You

Post by Tino2You » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:09 pm

Not sure about the "blast effect" of the nasal pillows but I suspect the humidity keeps my sinuses open all night. Some nights when I am very congested, I use a spray (nasonex) to help open the sinuses enough until the humidity can take effect.

The Lansinoh is a very good help (works great on chapped lips too). UNFORTUNATELY, my dog got a hold of mine and thought it very tasty! Grrrr.

-tino

Additional Comments: Autoset Pressure 9-15.6, EPR 1, no ramp
Tino

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:23 pm

Tino2You wrote:The Lansinoh is a very good help (works great on chapped lips too). UNFORTUNATELY, my dog got a hold of mine and thought it very tasty! Grrrr.
I have a dog that will eat anything in a tube. Nothing in a tube is safe from her. Can't tell you how many toothpaste tubes she has demolished because I left the too close to the edge of the counter. She can barely reach the edge.
My husband's anti itch cream..gone. Special hand cream...gone.
There's a reason why she is called "Lizzie..the dog from hell". She's a great watch dog though. My husband says only thing keeping that dog around here.