My cat ate my tubing. . . Seriously!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rd1978

My cat ate my tubing. . . Seriously!

Post by rd1978 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:59 am

It's true. I turned on my CPAP machine last night and heard all these strange hissing sounds. When I turned on the lights I realized that my tubing was full of little holes -- dozens of them running along about 2ft of the tubing. I had to wrap black electricians tape around the entire 2ft length in order to seal it off and stop the leaking. (BTW, in case you were interested, the tubing loses all its flexibility when it's tightly wrapped in electricians tape. By the time I was done, it felt more like a broomstick than a hose!).

So I've ordered a new Climate Line tube. Any ideas on how to protect the new one (short of killing my cat)?
Severe (AHI 65.1) Sleep Apnea diagnosed June 2013
Began CPAP use July 10, 2013
Diagnosed with Complex SA in August
Switched to ASV in October

Pugsy

Re: My cat ate my tubing. . . Seriously!

Post by Pugsy » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:07 am

Hose cozy. Fleece padding to prevent claws or teeth (hopefully) from penetrating the cover and reaching the hose.
Put away the hose during the day to prevent temptation. I slide mine under the pillow.
Though I have been lucky..my cat isn't all that interested in the hose.

You do lose a bit of flexibility with the addition of the hose cozy though...and the ResMed thin hose cover (I have one) might not be quite enough protection. It's not thick enough to offer good protection. Padacheek hose cozy would offer more protection.
A bit pricey ( I have one of those also ) but it offers enough protection from those claws and teeth that I think the hose would be safe...besides it totally takes away the crinkle noise that probably the kitty likes to hear. It isn't nearly as much fun to play with.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

pootsie

Post by pootsie » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:25 am

Bitter apple or a dash of Frank's REDHOT?

You are the Zzz's knees!

rd1978

Post by rd1978 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:27 am

pootsie wrote:Bitter apple or a dash of Frank's REDHOT?
There are few things a feral car won't eat.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:43 am

Oh, he/she was once feral? Yeah, she/he is going to be rather "active".
I have a Bengal...she's hell on 4 paws but the one thing she has never paid any attention to is my hose. Got lucky in that regard.

I would suggest some sort of cover like the Padacheeks hose cozy. It has the density and length needed to offer maximum protection.
Rubbing on some sort of nasty tasting stuff might not work and would be a PITA anyway...for the entire length of the hose for sure.

This one
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... -wrap.html
might deter the claws but there isn't enough bulk to deter the teeth. Besides..it is 6 inches too short for the Climateline anyway.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

DannyPh

Post by DannyPh » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:45 am

wipe the outside of the Hose down with Vinegar

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:47 am

I'm all for hanging the new hose way out of reach, hiding it, or locking the cat out of the bedroom.
Kitty can play with something else.

oak

Post by oak » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:07 am

or you could get some thick fleece and velcro and make a hose cozy yourself.

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:34 am

go to the auto repair store and buy a length of corrugated plastic tubing. it's the flexible black tubing with a slit down the side that is used to bundle wires under the hood of your car. put your hose inside the tubing.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

rd1978

Post by rd1978 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:00 pm

Thanks for all the great advice!

jnk

Post by jnk » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:33 pm

I'm sorry, but you're going to have to bring us a note from a parent or guardian to back this story up, or else your grade for this semester will be lowered at least one letter.

And one more cat-killing joke and you will be taken straight to the principal's office.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:12 pm

I had the same thing happen. They love the fact that is it warm and they sit on it and knead it while they purr. Mine liked to walk along it , holding tight with her claws off course to keep from slipping off. It took me a while to clue in that Cat claws + plastic hose = punctures. A fleece cosy solved the issue.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

msla

Post by msla » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:54 am

From the ResMed H5i manual : "• The H5i should only be used with tubing or accessories recommended by ResMed. Connection of
other delivery tubes or accessories could result in injury, or damage to the device." I have highlighted one word. Might the use of a hose cozy be contraindicated on a heated Climateline hose?

ResMed S9 Auto set/Heated humidifier/AirFit N30i
diagnosed and began CPAP treatment 2003.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:08 am

msla wrote:I have highlighted one word. Might the use of a hose cozy be contraindicated on a heated Climateline hose?
Resmed's own slimline hose cozy must be okay because they (ResMed in their marketing material) mention the fact that when using it with the ClimateLine hose it is about 6 inches short.
Other forum members have often mentioned that they use Padacheek's (and others) hose cozy with the ClimateLine without any issues.
We have discussed this often in the past and with so many members using the heavier fleece cozy without any issues most of us feel safe in offering that suggestion.
I personally have used both when I had the ClimateLine hose. No issues that I could tell...I wondered about extra warmth with the heavier Padacheek's cozy but there wasn't any extra warmth that I could tell. From all appearances all it did was help maintain the desired temp.

msla

Post by msla » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:31 am

Pugsy wrote:
msla wrote:I have highlighted one word. Might the use of a hose cozy be contraindicated on a heated Climateline hose?
Resmed's own slimline hose cozy must be okay because they (ResMed in their marketing material) mention the fact that when using it with the ClimateLine hose it is about 6 inches short.
Other forum members have often mentioned that they use Padacheek's (and others) hose cozy with the ClimateLine without any issues.
We have discussed this often in the past and with so many members using the heavier fleece cozy without any issues most of us feel safe in offering that suggestion.
I personally have used both when I had the ClimateLine hose. No issues that I could tell...I wondered about extra warmth with the heavier Padacheek's cozy but there wasn't any extra warmth that I could tell. From all appearances all it did was help maintain the desired temp.
I agree. I only brought it up because I was raked over the coals in a rather un-civil manor by a moderator on the ASAA forum for mentioning it in one of my posts. I quit frequenting that forum. They are also too establishment PC for my tastes.

ResMed S9 Auto set/Heated humidifier/AirFit N30i
diagnosed and began CPAP treatment 2003.