Are bathroom breaks registered as leaks?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jerryez

Are bathroom breaks registered as leaks?

Post by jerryez » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:49 pm

I have the System one Remstar with auto A flex machine. I have the Sleepyhead software. When I get up to use the bathroom during the night(which occurs 3-6 time each night). Does the software register this as leaks. If so, should I turn the CPAP machine off each time before unhooking the hose or not. What other statistics are effected by the bathroom breaks. Sorry, but I am a diabetic and need the bathroom usage as required. My machine is set to a pressure of 13 - 16 on auto, but I notice the average pressure is 12.49. Should I lower the pressure to 12 or is the maching doing this for me.

Have never slept better

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Are bathroom breaks registered as leaks?

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:55 pm

If air is blowing, yes, it is likely to be counted as a large leak.
If it is on auto-start and stop, it will shut off during your "leak".
If you manually shut it off--no leak, except in the other room.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:58 pm

jerryez wrote:I have the System one Remstar with auto A flex machine. I have the Sleepyhead software. When I get up to use the bathroom during the night(which occurs 3-6 time each night). Does the software register this as leaks. If so, should I turn the CPAP machine off each time before unhooking the hose or not. What other statistics are effected by the bathroom breaks. Sorry, but I am a diabetic and need the bathroom usage as required. My machine is set to a pressure of 13 - 16 on auto, but I notice the average pressure is 12.49. Should I lower the pressure to 12 or is the maching doing this for me.
If you take off the mask and leave it running, then YES, it's a HUGE leak.
I've always recommended that the users shut off the machine before taking the mask off.
It does mess up all of the stats.

Without seeing reports, I can't comment on your pressure question. From my own experience, straight pressure always gives better sleep and "numbers" than pressure ranges.

Den

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:24 pm

For a Series 60 ASV machine, the system recognizes that you are not there and reports the time as blower on, patient not compliant.

For a Series 50 machine, it shows up as a really large leak.

For other Series 60 machines, I don't have current information but I suspect they are treated the same as the ASV machine.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

icipher

Post by icipher » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:36 pm

I use a PR Auto-SV advanced.

When I use the restroom in the night, i leave my machine running so i don't mess up the stats. The next morning it says 0% large leak on my machine and in my reports, so I don't think it registers leaks.

jerryez

Post by jerryez » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:18 pm

It is a 560p and a CMS 50X whatever that means.

Have never slept better

Ontario CPAP

Post by Ontario CPAP » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:18 pm

I'm using the respironics system one CPAP. Bathroom break hasn't been an issue -- I manually turn off the machine, then remove the mask. When I return, simply put the mask back on and fire up the machine. Sleepyhead has a setting (under File > Preferences | Import) how close two sessions need to be to each other to be considered one session. The default is 240 minutes. Sleepyhead will keep track of how many session segments are considered one night of usage, and appears to work out the resulting stats correctly.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:55 pm

My 550S recognizes when the mask is not on, it distinguishes this from a large leak.

Sounds like your diabetes is not under very good control.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Lambeau

Post by Lambeau » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:59 pm

jerryez wrote:Sorry, but I am a diabetic and need the bathroom usage as required.
I am also a male diabetic. Before CPAP therapy, I also had an in-patient hospital surgical procedure known as a TURP. Google it if you want to know more.

The bottom line here is that your frequent urinary nocturnal trips to the toilet are related to your prostate gland. They have nothing to do with being diabetic.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:14 pm

This is how my BR visit looks like. I stop the machine first and next, I remove my mask, but not the chinstrap. Note the breaks in the pressure graphs.

In SH:

In ResScan:

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

PST

Post by PST » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:08 pm

jerryez wrote:I have the System one Remstar with auto A flex machine. I have the Sleepyhead software. When I get up to use the bathroom during the night(which occurs 3-6 time each night). Does the software register this as leaks. If so, should I turn the CPAP machine off each time before unhooking the hose or not. What other statistics are effected by the bathroom breaks. Sorry, but I am a diabetic and need the bathroom usage as required. My machine is set to a pressure of 13 - 16 on auto, but I notice the average pressure is 12.49. Should I lower the pressure to 12 or is the maching doing this for me.
I think the reason for the average pressure of 12.5 is the A-flex feature. It reduces the pressure a bit every time you exhale and ramps it back up for the next inhale. For someone like me, who uses a fixed pressure rather than a range, but has the Resmed equivalent of A-flex, the average pressure always reads a little less than the pressure my machine is set at.

What is interesting, though, is that you must be spending little or no time above the 13 cm bottom of your range. In effect, you are getting a constant 13 because the auto feature never thinks you need more. Maybe the range is a little higher than it needs to be.

jerryez

Post by jerryez » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:55 pm

Janknitz wrote:My 550S recognizes when the mask is not on, it distinguishes this from a large leak.

Sounds like your diabetes is not under very good control.
My last A1c was 6.1. But the damage done over the years has taken its toll.

Have never slept better

patrick_a

Post by patrick_a » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:16 am

No. Back pressure drops to 0, so the system knows the mask is no longer connected; Large Leak = 0. If you are not using the auto off feature, you should, just to save a little on motor wear & tear.

Btw, your last A1c looked good... congrats.