Airfit P10 Nasal Pillow issue

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
CrazyLife

Airfit P10 Nasal Pillow issue

Post by CrazyLife » Fri May 23, 2014 10:53 am

Hi.

This is my first week using the Resmed Airfit P10 and so far it has been very comfortable. I however have had the same issue on two separate nights where the internal nasal pillows flip inside out and stick to the floor of the nasal pillow compartment while I am sleeping. This results in the external pillows being unable to create a proper seal and also restricts airflow. I end up ripping the mask off so I can breathe.

I roll around a lot when I sleep which may have something to do with it. Are there any tricks to prevent the internal pillows from collapsing?

ems

Re: Airfit P10 Nasal Pillow issue

Post by ems » Fri May 23, 2014 11:04 am

Hi Crazy... altho this hasn't happened to me, I've read it's happened to others. The suggestion has been to try going up a size. For instance, if you presently use a medium pillow, try a large. I hope this helps.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

CrazyLife

Post by CrazyLife » Fri May 23, 2014 12:54 pm

Thanks ems. I did move from the small to the medium after the first time this happened but the medium is collapsing as well. The large doesn't fit or I would try that next

tattooyu

Post by tattooyu » Fri May 23, 2014 1:20 pm

CrazyLife,

You might want to try finding some small rubber o-rings at Home Depot (et al) to place between the nasal pillows and the base, on the "stalk" of the pillows. You just have to make sure you measure the stalk height and circumference carefully to get the measurements for the height and INSIDE diameter of the o-ring. You don't want the o-ring pinching off any air flow. To measure the circumference, just take a little piece of string, wrap it around the stalk, make a dot using a Sharpie where the string meets itself and measure the distance from the end of the string to the dot with a ruler.

You can also stack two rings on top of each other if you can't find a single o-ring with the correct height.

I hope that helps. I've used that method on another mask in the past (can't remember which one at the moment), and it worked for leaks. Maybe it will work for this issue.
Sleep well and live better!

DKC_apnea

Post by DKC_apnea » Fri May 23, 2014 3:50 pm

Although I have never experienced this with my P10's, it may be a case where your head strap is too tight and thus your nasal pillows are collapsing too much under the pressure to hold them up against your nose. If the head strap is too loose you'll get slippage or leaks, but if it is too tight you could potentially compress the pillows to the point they collapse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MylY6a6KXMY

If you move around a lot in your sleep, and put pressure against the mask by facing into your bed pillow or the bed itself, this also could compress the nasal pillows.

naturalisbest

Post by naturalisbest » Sat May 24, 2014 12:22 pm

I'm about to take a needle and thread to mine today. Please post any good "tricks" that solved the headstrap or pillow issue.

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Sat May 24, 2014 8:48 pm

tattooyu wrote:CrazyLife,

You might want to try finding some small rubber o-rings at Home Depot (et al) to place between the nasal pillows and the base, on the "stalk" of the pillows. You just have to make sure you measure the stalk height and circumference carefully to get the measurements for the height and INSIDE diameter of the o-ring. You don't want the o-ring pinching off any air flow. To measure the circumference, just take a little piece of string, wrap it around the stalk, make a dot using a Sharpie where the string meets itself and measure the distance from the end of the string to the dot with a ruler.

You can also stack two rings on top of each other if you can't find a single o-ring with the correct height.

I hope that helps. I've used that method on another mask in the past (can't remember which one at the moment), and it worked for leaks. Maybe it will work for this issue.
These O rings work. They helped me to be able to wear nasal pillows. Look for them in the plumbing dept.

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

RanaF

Post by RanaF » Sun May 25, 2014 10:02 pm

I am a new CPAP user using RESMED Tango machine. I am having issues keeping nasal pillow mask on for the entire duration of my sleep. So when I get up in the morning, I found my nasal pillow mask off my face, lying by the side of my bed and I have no clue as to when I take it off during the night. I have tried Swift FX and AirFit P10 masks and the issue is still the same. I have been using CPAP for almost a year now. Can someone suggest a remedy? Would really appreciate. Thx.
Using Tapatalk

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon May 26, 2014 6:06 am

RanaF wrote:I found my nasal pillow mask off my face, lying by the side of my bed and I have no clue as to when I take it off during the night. I have tried Swift FX and AirFit P10 masks and the issue is still the same
Tape the side straps down to your cheeks/skin so that when you remove the mask during your sleep then hopefully you will wake up and stop the unwanted behavior. It's common with newbies. The sub conscious doesn't want the mask on the face but eventually accepts it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

RanaF

Post by RanaF » Mon May 26, 2014 3:22 pm

Thanks. I'll try this and will get back with the results.
Using Tapatalk