Recommendations for nasal masks to try or avoid

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BrandonB

Re: Recommendations for nasal masks to try or avoid

Post by BrandonB » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:00 pm

As others have said, you will have to tried them for yourself to see how they fit. I started with a Mirage FX and loved it. Sadly, it blistered my nasal bridge. For the past two or so years I have used the EasyLife and I have enjoyed it very much. However, between the Remzzzzs, Padacheek, a chin strap, and the mask shape itself, there was lots of bulk to put on. Recently my wife got a AirFit N10 to replace her Liberty Hybrid (she didn't like the prongs) and is hoping to avoid going full face. She loved it so much, I decided to try switching masks. At the DME, the N10 felt good and it's lack of headgear bulk (it stays away from your cheeks) was a plus. That said, I also tried the Wisp and it felt much more comfortable. I brought the Wisp home and fell in love with it. Working great and I'm not even using any liners or the chin strap (we'll see if that lasts). Seeing how much I enjoyed mine, she and I switched last night. I did not enjoy the night with the N10. To me, it felt like the N10 does a better job for wider noses while the Wisp does a better job for deeper noses. Alas, my problem with all previous masks is that either they aren't deep enough to close up beside my nose, or my nose enters the tube junction and the hard plastic could shift up on the bottom of my nostrils. So it's back to the Wisp for me.

That said, I would NEVER regret trying each one!
Life before my CPAP was really no life at all!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:21 pm

The Wisp comes with multiple sizes, so you can find what really does fit best.
I advise you to try the silicone frame, as it can be covered if need be,
but I like the slight stickiness which keeps it in position; where the cloth does not do that as well.

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:30 am

I think I forgot to mention I use a 'trick' I learned from someone on this forum. I use O rings on my nasal pillows, it raises them just enough to inflate properly on my sub-standard nose. You can get the O rings in the plumbing section of any hardware store, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. This little trick is great. If you are trying any more nasal pillow masks, this trick may help.

Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**