OT DayLight Savings Time

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JoeWingrove

Re: OT DayLight Savings Time

Post by JoeWingrove » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:09 pm

Far enough north/south and the sun stays up for half the year.

postitnote

Post by postitnote » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:58 pm

palerider wrote: Standard time.

and, if his watch were set to standard time, then it would be an hour behind.

so his watch would have indicated sunset at 8:39pm
Lol, of course it is! I've had two of my grandkids since Wednesday. They are 3 and 9. I am wore out! They go home tomorrow night at about 11pm but then the 3 1/2 year old grandson that lives with me will be back home from his dad's. Someone could make a fortune from a cpap machine with a kicker for grandparent energy.

JoeWingrove wrote:Far enough north/south and the sun stays up for half the year.
I bet it's beautiful to see a midnight sun! I'd probably burn to a crisp if I didn't have darkness. Not a vampire mind you, just very fair skin thanks to my ancestors!

I feel like nothing I have said all day makes any sense!
Morbius, are you bored?

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:43 pm

Here's what Mark Twain had to say about sunsets and sunrises. This is quoted on a sign at the Mark Twain Overlook in Muscatine, Iowa.
And I remember Muscatine—still more pleasantly—for its summer sunsets. I have never seen any, on either side of the ocean, that equaled them. ... The sunrises are also said to be exceedingly fine. I do not know.
You can read the entire quote here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscatine,_Iowa

msla

Post by msla » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:51 am

I remember the political cartoon of President Nixon, huddled Betsy Ross style, over the sewing table, reattaching a 1 hour segment of a blanket, removed from one end, to the other end.

ResMed S9 Auto set/Heated humidifier/AirFit N30i
diagnosed and began CPAP treatment 2003.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:31 am

I see the local school district avoided dealing with buildings full of sleepy kids by having spring break this week.
DST has been shown to be a cause of so many bad effects, it seems the only thing standing in the way of
getting rid of it is the hassle of undoing all the automatic changes built into devices.
Yet, in our case, it would be easier to not have it at all--only our phones reset themselves.
Electric utilities would still oppose it, because in 2-income homes, an hour less AC per day would be a cut in pay for them.

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:39 pm

"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:48 pm

I remember being in London 10+ years ago around the end of June, and it was still light at 10-10:30PM...not bright daylight, but still light. Made a big impression on me. Of course, the winter daylight is shorter to go along with that, so I only go to London in the late spring, summer, and early fall *smile*. I'm one of those really affected by SAD.

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:16 pm

RogerSC wrote:I remember being in London 10+ years ago around the end of June, and it was still light at 10-10:30PM...not bright daylight, but still light. Made a big impression on me. Of course, the winter daylight is shorter to go along with that, so I only go to London in the late spring, summer, and early fall *smile*. I'm one of those really affected by SAD.
Wife and I lived in England for a year in 1988/89 and I noticed the same thing, that the winter days were much shorter than back home in Illinois. And as you say the summer days are much longer. There's about an hour difference both sunrise and sunset compared to Illinois. Then one day it dawned on me. Dummy!!! We all know about the 24 hour summer daylight at the north pole, and equal days and nights at the equator, so of course summer days are longer the farther north you go, and winter nights are longer! England is about 10 degrees farther north latitude than Illinois.

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:55 am

palerider wrote:
postitnote wrote:
palerider wrote:
postitnote wrote:It was daylight at 10:30pm? Their time which is eastern?
the further north you get, the longer the days are in the summer, until when you get far enough north, the sun never sets.
I knew the sun was out longer in Alaska and northern countries but didn't realize that in the UP it was too. I lived near Green Bay 30 years ago but probably was sleeping before 10pm every night. I wonder how late it was light out there.
well, interestingly enough, since you wondered, I did a little digging, and according to http://www.sunrisesunset.com, on the longest day of the year, (june 21st, summer solstice) the sunset at Manistique, Michigan is only at 9:39, so i'd have to say that, like *most* things that sleeprider says, his claim of it being daylight at 10:30pm would need to be viewed with a hearty dose of skepticism and a fair amount of fact checking. (my bad, first time around, I know better)

maybe his watch was just off.

you'd have to get all the way up to churchill, manitoba, canada to get a 10:30pm sunset, even juneau alaska is too far south.
Nope, he wasn't that far off. You shouldn't be looking at the time of Sunset, it the time of "Civil Twilight" that is significant. The is the time when objects are still clearly discernible and illumination is not needed. (Formally, its when the sun is 6 degrees below the horizon.) Civil Twilight in Manistique next June 21 is 10:18 PM, so PR was not that far off.

Also I'd like to put in my vote in favor of Daylight Saving. The morning Civil Twilight here in Boston on June 21 is 3:33 EST (without Daylight Saving). As someone who tends to get up with the Sun, I'm glad that we chose to call that 4:33 instead of 3:33!

BTW, in Reykjavík Iceland sunset on June 21 actually occurs a few minutes after midnight the next morning! This is because they use GMT. They don't have "start of morning twilight" or "end of evening twilight" because they are within a few degrees of the Arctic Circle - it stays twilight through the night.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:09 pm

One other thing about DST is if you're on it, you may need to check your settings in your forum profile. In fact, it would be a good idea to check to make sure your time zone and whatever other settings are correct.
I just remembered it and changed mine.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05