just an introduction.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lemonyleprosy

just an introduction.

Post by lemonyleprosy » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:46 pm

'lo folks. i'm micah. i just picked up my first bipap machine today, a phillips respironics 760 (system one). my AHI is 101.3 which i guess is ridiculously high. my pressure level is so high (22/18) that even with the ramp up option on in my test run in the store i felt like i couldn't exhale, so i'm a little worried about panic tonight, but i guess we'll see how it works out. what else... i'm from los angeles, and a mortuary science student. the exhaustion has been affecting my school performance. hopefully this will help. that's about all i've got. hello, folks!

OkyDoky

Re: just an introduction.

Post by OkyDoky » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:05 pm

Welcome Micah,
You have the same machine that I have and I'm happy with it. While your pressures are higher than mine (15/11), It only took me about a week to get used to everything and I no longer use ramp. If you have any challenges let us know if we can help.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:10 pm

Look in your manual for EPR (Exhale pressure relief) and you can set it to wherever you're most comfortable.

Nyre

Post by Nyre » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:33 pm

lemonyleprosy wrote:'lo folks. i'm micah. i just picked up my first bipap machine today, a phillips respironics 760 (system one). my AHI is 101.3 which i guess is ridiculously high. my pressure level is so high (22/18) that even with the ramp up option on in my test run in the store i felt like i couldn't exhale, so i'm a little worried about panic tonight, but i guess we'll see how it works out. what else... i'm from los angeles, and a mortuary science student. the exhaustion has been affecting my school performance. hopefully this will help. that's about all i've got. hello, folks!
Welcome Micah and welcome to the board boy your Pretreated AHI is very high and your pressure settings are high as well it will take some time to get used to it some take longer then others. Keep on trucking through it and I hope the therapy helps you keep your AHI below 5

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:33 pm

Julie wrote:Look in your manual for EPR (Exhale pressure relief) and you can set it to wherever you're most comfortable.
The bipap Phillips Respironics 760 doesn't have EPR which only decreases to 3. With the 760 that is what the lower exhale pressure setting provides. And his is set for a decrease of 4 at IPAP 22 and EPAP 18. His machine does have biflex which he can try the different settings to see which is most comfortable.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

lemonyleprosy

Post by lemonyleprosy » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:49 pm

thanks all!
i'll check out that setting and see if i can find something that works for me.
i'm hoping for my first restful night's sleep in 20+ years.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:24 am

Welcome to the forum.

If you have trouble relaxing and falling asleep at those pressures you can also just try using it while watching the TV or reading a book so that you get more use to how it feels while you aren't under the gun to fall asleep. It makes the adjustment a bit easier.
Here's how BiFlex works but bulk of your exhale relief is actually the difference between inhale and exhale.
BiFlex helps smooth it out a bit more...use whatever setting feels the best and seems to suit your own breathing.
http://biflex.respironics.com/

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.