heated cpap hose

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
nickelquilts

heated cpap hose

Post by nickelquilts » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:38 pm

Hello to all. Does anyone use a heated hose? If so, is it better than a regular hose? ( better sleep, less dry mouth and congestion?)

Thanks!

wilsonintexas

Re: heated cpap hose

Post by wilsonintexas » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:33 pm

I switched to a heated hose when it got cold. I was getting "rainout" in a normal hose.
The heated hose is also nice when it has been pre-heated. The air is nice and warm

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:44 pm

I use a heated hose all year long. Sometimes I adjust the temperature for comfort.
Whether cold air in the room comes from the AC or Jack Frost, nobody's nose gets chilly.
I hate snot-sicles.

TangledHose

Post by TangledHose » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:45 pm

Frogs need to keep their little noses Warm !

Link to Sleepyhead:
http://sleepfiles.com/SH2/

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:34 pm

I have never used anything BUT a heated hose. Probably never will.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:27 pm

I use a heated hose year round. I like my humidity levels to be constant no matter what the ambient humidity is so using the heated hose allows me to have a constant humidity without having to second guess the ambient humidity in the bedroom and anticipate water usage.
I also like to have warmer air in the winter when my bedroom air temps are quite old...so I turn up the air temp and in the summer I like cooler air so I turn down the air temp and all the while the humidity delivered stays constant.
I don't get rain out in the winter which I used to battle every winter before I got the heated hose.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Margaret_Yakoda

Post by Margaret_Yakoda » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:11 pm

I use a heated hose, and I think I'm still getting rainout.
I'm very new to this CPAP thing, so I'm not too sure what rainout involves? But I have a very wet mask, and a dry mouth when I wake up. Sometimes one or two times in the middle of the night.
For what it's worth, we don't have central heat here, and so the house is 65 degrees on a warm day. Some days the house can actually get down to 55 or even lower. We wear a lot of wool. LOL.
So, maybe I should knit a hose cover?

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:15 pm

I don't use humidity or have rainout problems, just use it when it's cold to keep the ice cube nose away. If the temp gets down to the 40s or 50s, that's when I heat it up or the cold makes it hard to sleep.

Tatooed Lady

Post by Tatooed Lady » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:37 pm

Heated hose AND hose cozy/cover used in my truck since it started getting cold, and just a fleece hose cover at home, since the boyfriend is fond of sweating in his sleep. Yuck.
Warm, moist air in a cold room helps keep me warm from the inside. Add the cozy and rainout is a thing of the past.

As Bette Davis famously said, “Old age ain’t for sissies.”
I'm with the band.
So.Many.TOYS!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:03 am

Margaret_Yakoda wrote:I use a heated hose, and I think I'm still getting rainout.
I'm very new to this CPAP thing, so I'm not too sure what rainout involves? But I have a very wet mask, and a dry mouth when I wake up. Sometimes one or two times in the middle of the night.
Rain out can be in the form of just condensation in the mask itself. Most often this is caused by the added moisture from out own exhaled breath mixing in with the incoming moisture laden air from the humidifier...and the cooler bedroom temps cause the air in the mask to cool and release the moisture. This can happen even when using a heated hose because the air starts to cool once it leaves that end of the heated hose. Especially with nasal cushion and nasal pillow masks that use one of those short hose assemblies to connect the long heated hose to the mask.. That short hose assembly isn't heated and cooler bedroom air will start cooling the air in the short hose.
If warming up the air in the long hose doesn't/can't prevent the condensation in the mask then sometimes a short hose cozy is needed to help keep that air in the short hose from cooling down. With nasal pillows Padacheek makes some nice barrel cozies that help keep the air in the nasal pillow mask from cooling. Harder to do with a nasal cushion mask but sometimes a mask liner will help when the condensation is a small amount because the liner can absorb the annoying moisture.
Rain out won't hurt us but it sure is annoying.

If your mouth is dry there's a good chance that you are mouth breathing. It doesn't take much mouth breathing to dry out the mouth. Mouth breathing dryness is a common complaint even with full face mask users because the mouth simply needs more moisture and the humidifier can't deliver enough moisture for the larger oral cavity..even with full face mask.
At least with a full face mask if you are mouth breathing you aren't losing precious therapy pressure. If you are using a nasal interface mask only (nasal cushion or nasal pillows) and your mouth is uncovered and you are having a lot of dry mouth then you need to evaluate your leak graphs...to see if the mouth breathing is serious enough to impact your therapy effectiveness.
It may or may not be serious.

Rain out is simply condensation in the mask or hose...and if your nose is getting wet then you probably are having condensation form in the nasal mask. Choices for fixing that issue
1...increase the air temp if you are using a heated hose
2...add a short hose cozy
3...add something to insulate the mask itself (barrel cozy for nasal pillow users) or a liner to absorb the moisture
4...some people will say decrease the humidifier setting and that may or may not work because rain out at the mask level can happen even when a humidifier is not used at all....plus for some people the nasal mucosa might not like having reduced moisture coming in
5...increase the bedroom air temp so that the cooling has less chance of happening.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

inafog

Post by inafog » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:42 pm

I just started CPAP therapy with the model for females with the heated hose and when I commented to the sleep center about waking up nightly when the air pressure gets to 10.5 or 11 with a cold nose, they told me to go into the humidity level option and turn the tem up. Anyone have advise on what temp?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:54 pm

inafog wrote:I just started CPAP therapy with the model for females with the heated hose and when I commented to the sleep center about waking up nightly when the air pressure gets to 10.5 or 11 with a cold nose, they told me to go into the humidity level option and turn the tem up. Anyone have advise on what temp?
Which machine? The ResMed machine with the Climateline heated hose? If so what is the current temp that you have it set at?
My bedroom gets quite cold during the night so I am using 84 degrees with my S9 ResMed machine during the winter but you may not need that much depending on how cold your bedroom gets and your own personal preference.
If you have one of those new ResMed AirSense 10 models you may have different choices than I have with my S9.

Paralel

Post by Paralel » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:50 am

I wish I could turn up the humidity without getting rainout at lower temps. The 5 setting on my PRS1 series 60 with heated hose makes me sweat it is so warm, but the humidity is just right.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:59 am

Paralel wrote:I wish I could turn up the humidity without getting rainout at lower temps. The 5 setting on my PRS1 series 60 with heated hose makes me sweat it is so warm, but the humidity is just right.
With the PR S1 heated hose attached you can indeed change the temperature of the air and keep the same humidity because the humidity setting is done in the clinical setup menu...and the only thing you are changing with the knob on the machine is temperature.
You need to go into the clinical setup menu and choose your humidity setting ...choices are 1 (70%), 2 (80%) and 3 (90%)...then the knob controls the air temperature with 1 being the coolest with just 4 degrees above room temp and 5 being the highest at 16 degrees above room temp.

When the heated hose is attached all that the knob does is affect air temp.
Now sometimes it feels different like the humidity is less but it isn't. I do this all the time...in the summer I will use lower air temp settings and in the winter I use higher air temp settings and I never vary the humidity setting. Now I keep my bedroom COLD in the winter (combination of preference and no insulation in this crappy old house) so I need warmer because if my started bedroom temp is so cold and my "warmer" is still not all that warm due to starting temp.

Go to the clinical setup menu on your PR S1 machine and make sure the heated hose is attached..and check to see what the humidity is set at...I think the default is for 2 and if it seems drier at lower temp settings...increase it to 3 and see how that works with lower air temp setting.

SGearhart

Post by SGearhart » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:04 am

I was supplied a regular hose when I started therapy. I had severe coughing no matter what humidity setting I used. I read about the heated hose option for my CPAP and how it worked. I bought one and it was one of the best things that I did. I would suggest that you consider a hose wrap, even with the heated hose, to help with its efficiency.