Time for a new unit

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
GPLarge

Time for a new unit

Post by GPLarge » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:23 pm

I will be replacing my aged, but working, S8 AutoSet II tomorrow afternoon. I also have been using the Swift FX nasal pillows for a few years now really like them. I am a bit concerned that the DME I am switching to stated they already ordered a REMstar for me. I know that it is a repeated question and is a 50/50 split on preferences but I am a bit worried that I will now have to adjust to a new algorithm and may get some interrupted sleep or regress to feeling like poo during the day. They do have the S9 and S10's available and will be asking them about it. just curious if anyone else has changed and found they liked it better or not.

P.S. why didn't I find this forum earlier?

sleep_quest

Re: Time for a new unit

Post by sleep_quest » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:08 am

If your DME has the S10 AutoSet, you may as well request that instead of going to the PR brand. It's what you know and you're already comfortable with it. Just make sure you get the AutoSet and not one of the lesser Resmed models

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:35 am

Yes, and if you want a ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset and your DME won't sell you one, then switch DME's. This is something that you get only once every 5 years or so, so I personally wouldn't think twice about going out of my way to get what I wanted. I have a feeling that if you insist, especially if you tell them that you'll go elsewhere if they don't comply with your wishes, that your current DME will get what YOU want. There are lots of DME's out there that would like to have your business, so make sure that if you have to switch (which I really doubt), that the one that you switch to is on your insurance plan.

I've only used the ResMed AutoSet S9, so can't comment on the PR machines. I have, though, had some interesting experiences with my DME.

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:59 am

Be really careful that they don't try to sell you a "brick," one of the machines that doesn't record full data. The good models of current machines record data that's a bit like a mini sleep test every night. Check my signature line for info on which machines are good.

All of the current model REMstar AUTO machines give full data. The AirSense 10 AutoSet also give full data. There is an S9 AutoSet that's good, but the S9 Escape Auto doesn't record full data.

ResMed vs. REMstar is almost a tossup as to which is better.

If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:20 am

archangle wrote:Check my signature line for info on which machines are good.
You might want to check that link. It took me to consumer information for funeral services.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:27 am

Sleeprider wrote:
archangle wrote:Check my signature line for info on which machines are good.
You might want to check that link. It took me to consumer information for funeral services.
There are two links in his signature. The first one you clicked on was for:

Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
Ie... the Funeral Services...
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:31 am

GPLarge

Post by GPLarge » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:08 am

Thanks for the replies all. I will post my experience this evening and let you all know how it went.

GPLarge

Post by GPLarge » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:08 pm

Well as you can see in my signature line I have the new unit and mask. Really pleased with the service I received from my local DME. Should be interesting with the P10 mask tonight but I liked the feel of it. Much lighter than the Swift FX. Let's see how it goes.

Nick Danger

Post by Nick Danger » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:21 pm

GPLarge wrote:Well as you can see in my signature line I have the new unit and mask. Really pleased with the service I received from my local DME. Should be interesting with the P10 mask tonight but I liked the feel of it. Much lighter than the Swift FX. Let's see how it goes.
Way to go! I switched from the Swift FX to the P10 and was very happy. It took me a couple of weeks to get used to the new headgear. I really liked that the jetstream venting of air from the Swift FX was nicely diffused by the P10 design - my partner prefers it too! She doesn't get hit in the face with the air blast when she snuggles up when I'm wearing the P10.

GPLarge

Post by GPLarge » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:13 am

First night went fantastic. I really liked my old Swift FX but the P10 is even better. I'm sure as the frame and strap break in it will get even more comfortable but I am extremely happy with it. The Airsense 10 is great as well.

jwerley

Post by jwerley » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:00 am

GP:
FYI.... If you have any discomfort with the nasal pillows, I have found that going from a size medium (which I normally use with other masks) to a size large made all the difference. I love the P-10!

Good luck with your new equipment.

Janice

"He who understands you is greater kin to you than your own brother. For even your own kindred may neither understand you nor know your true worth."
Kahlil Gibran

GPLarge

Post by GPLarge » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:11 am

Thanks Janice, the Medium is a perfect fit for me. Took me a bit to get used to it being so much lighter last night but it was one of the best nights of sleep I have had in a while. May be a combination of the new machine and mask but I feel great today.

GP