OT - Anyone heard of Univera products?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jencat824

OT - Anyone heard of Univera products?

Post by jencat824 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:37 pm

I'm looking for any feedback, good, bad or otherwise about products sold by Univera. The company sells a very expensive line of vitamins, all natural & the 'signature' product is Aloe-Select, an aloe based product that promises a healthy way to increase energy & promote good health & well being.

My best friend went to a new Dr who has 'prescribed' several of these products for her. The family physician is a DO, not a MD, but has an excellent reputation. I'm skeptical about this kind of approach, since I studied their website & it looks very much like a MLM type company to me. Kinda like the Mary Kay of vitamins only being promoted by Drs.

I'm curious to know if anyone has any knowledge of this company, its products or its practices. Our local compounding pharmacy is selling some of the Univera line now as well. The pharmacist there talked like this concept is the best thing since sliced bread. I might buy into the actual effectiveness of the products IF the website didn't look so much like a standard MLM.

I hope that I'm wrong, but I think my friend is being taken for quite a bit of $$$, so I'm searching for input.

Thanks,
Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

49er

Re: OT - Anyone heard of Univera products?

Post by 49er » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:33 am

jencat824 wrote:I'm looking for any feedback, good, bad or otherwise about products sold by Univera. The company sells a very expensive line of vitamins, all natural & the 'signature' product is Aloe-Select, an aloe based product that promises a healthy way to increase energy & promote good health & well being.

My best friend went to a new Dr who has 'prescribed' several of these products for her. The family physician is a DO, not a MD, but has an excellent reputation. I'm skeptical about this kind of approach, since I studied their website & it looks very much like a MLM type company to me. Kinda like the Mary Kay of vitamins only being promoted by Drs.

I'm curious to know if anyone has any knowledge of this company, its products or its practices. Our local compounding pharmacy is selling some of the Univera line now as well. The pharmacist there talked like this concept is the best thing since sliced bread. I might buy into the actual effectiveness of the products IF the website didn't look so much like a standard MLM.

I hope that I'm wrong, but I think my friend is being taken for quite a bit of $$$, so I'm searching for input.

Thanks,
Jen
Hi Jen,

I don't have any knowledge of the company but it sounds like to me your skepticism is very justified. It seems the DO is taking a one size fit all approach in always prescribing supplements from this particular company.

By the way, being the cynical person that I am, I wonder what financial arrangement this doctor has with this particular company if she/he is always prescribing these supplements. Same for compound pharmacist.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:33 am

I don't understand why anyone's shelling out on multivits now anyway... not after that very large study came out a couple of years ago proving that you might as well take popcorn or ketchup (well, it's a vegetable ) or nothing and have the same effects. It's one thing for someone to have been tested and said to need supplemental ... whatever vit or mineral was proven to be lacking in that individual for whatever reason, but another for everyone to ingest gobs of everything every day without any appreciable difference being made (except to your wallet). I can't believe the companies are still in business after that, but I guess habits are hard to break. Eat the right food and you'll get what you need... it's the only way for your body to make use of the nutrition.

49er

Post by 49er » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:02 am

Julie wrote:I don't understand why anyone's shelling out on multivits now anyway... not after that very large study came out a couple of years ago proving that you might as well take popcorn or ketchup (well, it's a vegetable ) or nothing and have the same effects. It's one thing for someone to have been tested and said to need supplemental ... whatever vit or mineral was proven to be lacking in that individual for whatever reason, but another for everyone to ingest gobs of everything every day without any appreciable difference being made (except to your wallet). I can't believe the companies are still in business after that, but I guess habits are hard to break. Eat the right food and you'll get what you need... it's the only way for your body to make use of the nutrition.
I have come to that conclusion regarding fish oil capsules although you have to be careful to avoid the cheap brands that are complete trash. But there are plenty that aren't.

Regarding a MV, I do not eat a good diet for various reasons so I take one as a precaution. But again, I use the same philosophy as buying fish oil capsules as I honestly don't think buying an expensive brand makes any difference at all.

Another disadvantage of buying expensive MVs is they contain alot more ingredients, particular ones that may cause insomnia. So if that is an issue, that is another reason to avoid them.

49er

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:18 am

Once you get away
From the FDA
Then what you pay
Is a waste of hay

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morn ... e-herbals/

49er

Post by 49er » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:43 am

Morbius wrote:Once you get away
From the FDA
Then what you pay
Is a waste of hay

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morn ... e-herbals/
I wouldn't be counting on the FDA for protection:

http://www.bu.edu/today/2014/fda-watchd ... -and-docs/

49er

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:15 am

I worked in a facility where my GI doctor's office was so we knew each other on a professional basis also. His wife was his office manager. They were involved in a company like this but I can't remember the name. He wanted me to use the products (optional of course) and by becoming a distributer you got them at a discount. I signed up because they were so expensive and not something that insurance covers, of course. As you know the way money is made is by the sales of those under you. I never tried to get anyone signed up and after a couple of months quit buying the products.
So, I say If it looks like a duck and walks/quack/flies etc. like a duck, it is a duck.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760