Vit D Can be bad for you

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Sleeprider

Re: Vit D Can be bad for you

Post by Sleeprider » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:57 am

...but the right amount can be very helpful.

That is true of most nutrients and vitamins. Vitamin D is sold in megadose 5000 iU doses, which is above the maximum tolerance level, but you'd be better off with a 1500 iU dose. I believe the RDA is about 600-800 iU.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:30 am

Sorry - hadn't seen the same link in other posts - but it's still good to know.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:32 am

As posted in the other thread:
Jay Aitchsee wrote:The Vitamin D Council suggests a serum Vitamin D level of 50 ng/ml as ideal, not to exceed 100 ng/ml. The VDC also reports levels greater than 150 ng/ml are toxic, another reason to test before taking supplements willy-nilly. ($58 Walk in Lab)

tan

Post by tan » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:03 am

Sleeprider wrote:...but the right amount can be very helpful.

That is true of most nutrients and vitamins. Vitamin D is sold in megadose 5000 iU doses, which is above the maximum tolerance level, but you'd be better off with a 1500 iU dose. I believe the RDA is about 600-800 iU.
This amount is considered a joke by many except outdated Food and Nutrition board. I have seen multiple sources suggest around 4000-8000 IU a day, which depends on many factors such as age, weight, etc. For instance: 5,000 IU/day by Vitamin D Council:
http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vi ... ody-needs/#

In looking at my low-normal level of Vitamin D , my sleep doc recommended 4,000 IU/day

Oughtsix

Post by Oughtsix » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:19 pm

Too much of anything is detrimental to your health. Too high a concentration of water in your body will cause your body to shut down. Good health is about maintaining a proper balance... not too much... but not too little.

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:05 pm

I have my vitamin D level checked regularly and my target is 75-80.
I am currently taking 18,500 IU per day and finally got my level up to 74. I won't be reducing my dosage until my blood test indicates that my level is significantly over 80. I do pay attention to many MDs who study nutritional requirements. Some I know personally.

Paralel

Post by Paralel » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:07 am

bwexler wrote:I have my vitamin D level checked regularly and my target is 75-80.
I am currently taking 18,500 IU per day and finally got my level up to 74. I won't be reducing my dosage until my blood test indicates that my level is significantly over 80. I do pay attention to many MDs who study nutritional requirements. Some I know personally.
Just as a side note, supplementing more than 10,000 IU a day has not been shown to be safe.

LibbyLou

Post by LibbyLou » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:01 am

tan wrote:
Sleeprider wrote:...but the right amount can be very helpful.

This amount is considered a joke by many except outdated Food and Nutrition board. I have seen multiple sources suggest around 4000-8000 IU a day, which depends on many factors such as age, weight, etc. For instance: 5,000 IU/day by Vitamin D Council:
http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vi ... ody-needs/#

In looking at my low-normal level of Vitamin D , my sleep doc recommended 4,000 IU/day
Yeah, I have read that the "optimal" level for adults is at least 60 ng/ml, preferably higher. But of course not TOO high. I was taking 5,000 IU a day back when I first had my level tested in 2013, and it was 22. I've eased off a bit and only take it every now and then, but my level is only at 52 now, so still not really all that great.
You should always waste time when you don't have any. Time is not the boss of you. Rule 408.

Relieved_Rita

Post by Relieved_Rita » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:11 am

Libbylou,
My Vitamin D was low. I supplemented with a liquid Vitamin D and over-corrected. I wasn't concerned, because that means the supplement was effective!

I backed off, then my Vit D levels went too low again. So now I've adjusted to the dose that keeps me in the 80-range. I hope it's ok to mention a specific product http://www.seekinghealth.com/liquid-vit ... drops.html

Good luck...

Paralel

Post by Paralel » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:05 pm

Also, as a reminder, you want to get your levels checked twice a year, once at the beginning of March, and once at the end of August, being the trough and peak of Vit D3 levels respectively. If you can stay between 50 and 100 at each of those tests, you're doing it right.

Also, too much of anything is bad, moderation is all things is the best way to go.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:04 pm

It really depends on whether your doctor checks your levels as to when you are taking too much. I take a lot of vitamin D because apparently diabetics don't produce enough. Even testing in July, I am chronically low. I'm hoping the new regimen works (at least my eczema is better). It even varies with family members. My bro is in Florida, outside all the time, no diabetes or anything chronic and he barely measures in the normal range without supplementation. My sis, in Mn, is right in the middle range without supplementation.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)