Do you, or have you had problems with Aerophagia?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

Re: Do you, or have you had problems with Aerophagia?

Post by Pugsy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:47 am

If all the aerophagia symptoms you are having is the farting...count your blessings. I know it's annoying but it could be a lot worse. There's extreme belly pain that can make you dream you are having a baby (I did this) and belly pain and nausea combined that lasts the entire next day (I did this also). It was pretty ugly. Fortunately not something that happened often and probably was more related to a couple of my experiments than anything else.
I still get the farting thing sometimes more than others but otherwise no pain or nausea so I don't worry about it.
It's annoying but no real harm is being done.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

JV1967

Post by JV1967 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:48 am

robysue wrote:
JV1967 wrote: What I want to know is, is Aerophagia dangerous or harmful to the body? I just fart a lot, all night, and in the morning, so far, no pain.
As far as I know: If the aerophagia is not disrupting your sleep AND you're not in any real pain AND you don't have GERD, you probably don't need to worry too much about it.
Sometimes the tooting does interrupt my sleep, but so far, not often. Doc says I don't have GERD, but I sometimes feel a bit of reflux after I eat. I try to eat dinner several hours before bed, and I take GAS-X about one to two hours before I take my night dose of 0.055 g Clonazepam. So far, no pain. Hope it doesn't happen.
AirCurve10 ASV Bilevel, with Humidifier. F&P Simplus FFM. Using Sleepyhead software.

JV1967

Post by JV1967 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:49 am

Pugsy wrote:If all the aerophagia symptoms you are having is the farting...count your blessings. I know it's annoying but it could be a lot worse. There's extreme belly pain that can make you dream you are having a baby (I did this) and belly pain and nausea combined that lasts the entire next day (I did this also). It was pretty ugly. Fortunately not something that happened often and probably was more related to a couple of my experiments than anything else.
I still get the farting thing sometimes more than others but otherwise no pain or nausea so I don't worry about it.
It's annoying but no real harm is being done.
Farting and belching, and again, I hope it stays at this level or less. How long did it take before it stopped being a problem for you, Pugsy?
AirCurve10 ASV Bilevel, with Humidifier. F&P Simplus FFM. Using Sleepyhead software.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:55 am

Sleep onset centrals....quite normal to have and normally not a problem in most people.
The become a problem when they either cause significant oxygen level drops because they either are numerous or very prolonged or they cause a problem because they keep kicking a person out of sleep so they don't progress from awake to asleep and we need to progress to asleep so that we get the needed sleep cycles.

In your case it sounds like significant oxygen level drops is your primary problem caused by the centrals.

You know the good news is that if that is pretty much all you have going on then you likely won't be seeing a lot of time with the high bursts of pressure needed for dealing with the centrals. It's only going to happen during sleep onset (which can be more than just at bedtime if you have arousals during the night that cause another sleep onset stage) and the minor obstructive issue that you have will be taken care of with the EPAP lower pressures.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

squid13

Post by squid13 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:57 am

It will go away with time. My wife said I was a walking farting machine in the morning.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:05 am

Oh...I still get the farting sometimes. Not every day and no rhyme or reason to it but no belly pain or distention or nausea though. The times I have had the bad symptoms have been very rare but I have had them so I know how miserable a person can be with them so I have great empathy for those that have to deal with it all the time.
I do have GERD issues though...confirmed with my own heartburn symptoms and Endoscopy. And I have a small hiatal hernia found on the endoscopy that I didn't know about.

To be honest....I don't know that I would rely totally on a barium swallow x-ray's negative results to tell me that there wasn't any damage to the LES. The damage can be very slight and x-rays by themselves aren't that detailed. That's why Endoscopy (upper and lower) is now used so much more often than the old time Upper GI and Lower GI barium contrast x-rays.

With time the farting may lessen so that it is less annoying...but if farting is all that is going on...and I know it's annoying...it's still better than having those oxygen levels drop to the low 70s and the body have oxygen deprivation damage to deal with.

JV1967

Post by JV1967 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:07 pm

squid13 wrote:It will go away with time. My wife said I was a walking farting machine in the morning.
I sure hope so. Thank you for responding, Squid.

JV1967

Post by JV1967 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:10 pm

Pugsy wrote:Oh...I still get the farting sometimes. Not every day and no rhyme or reason to it but no belly pain or distention or nausea though. The times I have had the bad symptoms have been very rare but I have had them so I know how miserable a person can be with them so I have great empathy for those that have to deal with it all the time.
I do have GERD issues though...confirmed with my own heartburn symptoms and Endoscopy. And I have a small hiatal hernia found on the endoscopy that I didn't know about.

To be honest....I don't know that I would rely totally on a barium swallow x-ray's negative results to tell me that there wasn't any damage to the LES. The damage can be very slight and x-rays by themselves aren't that detailed. That's why Endoscopy (upper and lower) is now used so much more often than the old time Upper GI and Lower GI barium contrast x-rays.

With time the farting may lessen so that it is less annoying...but if farting is all that is going on...and I know it's annoying...it's still better than having those oxygen levels drop to the low 70s and the body have oxygen deprivation damage to deal with.
They told me during the barium x ray that if I had a hiatal, it would show up, but who knows... I have been misdiagnosed before.

So true about the farting, and the blood oxygen levels. So, so true. I hope the farting becomes less of an issue, but you're completely right.

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:28 am

JV1967 wrote:I try to eat dinner several hours before bed...
Define "several".

If it's "3" then that does nothing.

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:34 am

JV1967 wrote:As I have said before, I'm tootin' louder than a whoopie cushion.
Is it (they) saying "My sleep is bad!! My sleep is bad!!"
I take my night dose of 0.055 g Clonazepam
Must be hard to break apart those pills like that.

TS, don't know anyone taking clzm whose sleep is "good" (imcluding PLMs).

JV1967

Post by JV1967 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:47 pm

Pugsy wrote:Sleep onset centrals....quite normal to have and normally not a problem in most people.
The become a problem when they either cause significant oxygen level drops because they either are numerous or very prolonged or they cause a problem because they keep kicking a person out of sleep so they don't progress from awake to asleep and we need to progress to asleep so that we get the needed sleep cycles.

In your case it sounds like significant oxygen level drops is your primary problem caused by the centrals.

You know the good news is that if that is pretty much all you have going on then you likely won't be seeing a lot of time with the high bursts of pressure needed for dealing with the centrals. It's only going to happen during sleep onset (which can be more than just at bedtime if you have arousals during the night that cause another sleep onset stage) and the minor obstructive issue that you have will be taken care of with the EPAP lower pressures.
My onset centrals sometimes desat down to the 70s. That happened in the lab on night one. By the way, my doctor has been helping me out by adjusting my pressure settings, via the modem on the machine. Last night, she had it down a bit, and the Aerophagia wasn't as intense, but I also felt a bit more tired in the morning, so she's going to raise it just ever so slightly, and see what's what. I'm glad my doctor is helping me out. I need her kindness, as I am so new to all of this.

JV1967

Post by JV1967 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:49 pm

Morbius wrote:
JV1967 wrote:As I have said before, I'm tootin' louder than a whoopie cushion.
Is it (they) saying "My sleep is bad!! My sleep is bad!!"
I take my night dose of 0.055 g Clonazepam
Must be hard to break apart those pills like that.

TS, don't know anyone taking clzm whose sleep is "good" (imcluding PLMs).
Thankful to get any sleep after the PTSD kicked in, and it does suck to have to be on this medication, but I take very little of it. I use a razor blade to cut the pills, and I have a pill box with the days of the week on it, so I can pre-cut for less stress.

JV1967

Post by JV1967 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:50 pm

Morbius wrote:
JV1967 wrote:I try to eat dinner several hours before bed...
Define "several".

If it's "3" then that does nothing.
Roughly 4-5 hours before bed.

RussellC

Post by RussellC » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:18 am

Hi, I'm interested reading all this. I've been using a CPAP for about a year now for diagnosed OSA. However! I have realised that often while dropping off, especially if I'm having an extended lay in in the morning, I forget to breath. Then the CPAP gives a push and the air goes straight into my stomach! I've caught this happening a few times & yes I often get quite a lot of bloating. Maybe it's just me but I wonder if this maybe the cause of bloating in others too?