Another possibly stupid question about back sleeping.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JV1967

Another possibly stupid question about back sleeping.

Post by JV1967 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:23 pm

Does back sleeping cause more central apneas to occur? Please keep in mind that I've only been on therapy for 5 days. I'm a total noob, and I admit it. I know very little about all of this.

I've been running Sleepyhead, and the numbers look good, but there is one page that doesn't work, as my machine is a ResMed Aircurve 10 ASV. My AHI was 0.21 this morning when I checked, and it was reported as one Hypopnea. I have sleep onset-centrals, and a little OSA.
AirCurve10 ASV Bilevel, with Humidifier. F&P Simplus FFM. Using Sleepyhead software.

LSAT

Re: Another possibly stupid question about back sleeping.

Post by LSAT » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:07 pm

With an AHI of .21...FORGET ABOUT IT. Any events are insignificant.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:15 pm

Centrals aren't usually positional. They are more of the brain not sending the message to breathe and that can happen in any sleeping position.

Obstructive events related to soft tissue sagging can be made worse when sleeping on one's back if they sag enough and gravity helps out. So it's not uncommon for OSA sagging airway tissue to be worse when supine sleeping but it doesn't necessarily happen that way for everyone. Sometimes people need a lot more pressure when sleeping on their backs to hold the airway open but again not always everyone.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

JV1967

Post by JV1967 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:50 pm

LSAT wrote:With an AHI of .21...FORGET ABOUT IT. Any events are insignificant.
Before my sleep doctor messed with my pressure settings, my AHI was over 1, but yeah, not too high, and I hope it stays low. Again, in the lab, on night 1, my onset central desatted down to 72%.

I miss being able to sleep on my tummy without my mask causing sores on my nose, hence the asking about back sleeping with pillows propped up.
AirCurve10 ASV Bilevel, with Humidifier. F&P Simplus FFM. Using Sleepyhead software.

JV1967

Post by JV1967 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:51 pm

Pugsy wrote:Centrals aren't usually positional. They are more of the brain not sending the message to breathe and that can happen in any sleeping position.

Obstructive events related to soft tissue sagging can be made worse when sleeping on one's back if they sag enough and gravity helps out. So it's not uncommon for OSA sagging airway tissue to be worse when supine sleeping but it doesn't necessarily happen that way for everyone. Sometimes people need a lot more pressure when sleeping on their backs to hold the airway open but again not always everyone.
Evidently, according to the doctor, I shallow breathe during my onset centrals. Thank you for responding, Pugsy. You're a sweetie.