How do you guys clean out your cpap hose?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: How do you guys clean out your cpap hose?

Post by palerider » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:09 pm

Lukie wrote:I soak mine in warm water and Ivory liquid once a week and use Control III in the water if I have had the flu or a cold.
interesting fact, you can't give yourself a cold or flu. you get over it because your immune system has recognized it and will kill it. so, you're not doing anything at all there

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:13 pm

Sleeprider wrote:If you're compulsive, clean the damn hose.

If you've been doing CPAP for years and never cleaned the hose...welcome to the club. I did change mine in December.
I cleaned mine a couple times when I first started, in 09, because it was 'the thing to do' according to some folks here... and after a while, decided "that's too much trouble to appease a lawyer somewhere"...

I did, also, replace the two six foot hoses I had connected together to give me enough hose length (king size bed) with a 10 footer last year... the ends of the hoses were getting soft and starting to come off the mask (which I'd tied on with some tightly wound string, just like when strapping the guides to a fishing pole) but when the other end started coming off the connector, I decided it might be time to investigate a new hose *lol*

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:58 pm

palerider wrote:
Guest1 wrote:I have a P10. It's dead space with nasal pillows is ~123ml. I use a 15mm hose. At 6 ft length the space in the hose is 323ml. Total of 446ml. If your tidal volume is 500ml, there is some chance of your breath reaching the humidifier if you breathe out forcefully your normal Tidal Volume (500ml) and your expiratory reserve volume (another 1000ml) and within 0.5 a second.

It's theoretically possible but unlikely for 99%+ time of the night.
I love these kinds of calculations.

does that include the vent rate, and, at what pressure? one would think that if the mask is venting 40lpm, that would cut down on the time for the breath to fully vent, as well as how far it might get back up the tubes.

I've got a 10 foot 22mm hose where's my calculator ..
Don't forget sinus restrictions, 22 % for the left nostril and 15 % for the right, most nights. Feel free to change percentages as needed, full moon add 3% to both numbers, round to 12 degits. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:04 am

I have two hoses (primary and backup) I've been using since I started therapy in May of 2005......."The AIR and a SPARE".

I've never "cleaned" either one. Every few years I run some hot water in them to check for leaks, but since there haven't been any, I keep using these.
I have a number of others of various lengths still in sealed bags for "whenever", but no sense in opening more than I need to.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

JV1967

Post by JV1967 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:31 am

I wash it with some clear and free dish liquid, rinse with tap water, and then rinse with distilled water. Have done this after the first week of use. Thinking it can probably go two weeks without a cleaning now.
AirCurve10 ASV Bilevel, with Humidifier. F&P Simplus FFM. Using Sleepyhead software.

Hosehead4ever

Post by Hosehead4ever » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:34 pm

If this is a stupid question, feel free to let me have it...

What if you're a horrible slob and never ever wash your humidifier tank and it takes on a grey film and nasty smell. Can that get in your hose and make it funky enough to need a wash?

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:00 pm

KatyDidAgain wrote:If this is a stupid question, feel free to let me have it...

What if you're a horrible slob and never ever wash your humidifier tank and it takes on a grey film and nasty smell. Can that get in your hose and make it funky enough to need a wash?
wait, you'd wash your hose, but not the tank?

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:14 pm

Even I dump and rinse my HH tank occasionally. Usually when I start a new gallon of distilled.......about every three months.
I just dump the remainder and run some hot tap water through it and shake out what I can......then refill with distilled.
I also rinse out (hot water) my foam intake air filter twice a month.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Hosehead4ever

Post by Hosehead4ever » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:15 pm

palerider wrote:

I didn't say I'd wash the hose. lol

Hosehead4ever

Post by Hosehead4ever » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:16 pm

Wulfman... wrote:

Even I dump and rinse my HH tank occasionally. Usually when I start a new gallon of distilled.......about every three months.
I just dump the remainder and run some hot tap water through it and shake out what I can......then refill with distilled.

Den

I haven't had the new machine three months yet, so I guess I'm good.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:24 pm

KatyDidAgain wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:

Den

I haven't had the new machine three months yet, so I guess I'm good.
Yes, you are!

In passover (cool, non-heated) mode, that's about how long it takes me to go through a gallon of distilled. I think in the Winter months it's using it a little faster because the dry air is picking up more moisture.

Den

User since 05/14/05

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:00 pm

KatyDidAgain wrote:
palerider wrote:

I didn't say I'd wash the hose. lol
most of what you're going to get from the tank is water vapor, and whatever is small enough to hitch a ride on that, or other volatiles that are byproducts of whatever it is that might give you a nasty smell.

if you don't mind the smell, *shrug* I doubt it'd colonize the hose to any extent.

but, then, haven't washed a hose in five or six years.

Hosehead4ever

Post by Hosehead4ever » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:44 pm

By the way, my humidifier doesn't actually have a grey film. Just smells like sweaty gym socks..

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:47 pm

KatyDidAgain wrote:By the way, my humidifier doesn't actually have a grey film. Just smells like sweaty gym socks..
well, I'd suggest giving the tank a good cleaning, or a quick trip through the dishwasher, hand or electric, as it were

and, then, find a better place to keep your old gym socks.

kevin1

Post by kevin1 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:10 pm

Once every 2-3 months I put my house, mask, humidifier tank in sink full of water & 3 denture cleaning tablets for a few hours.

My nightly routine is to grab the mask cushion and tank, gently wash cushion with tiny bit of and soap and flush it with lots of water. Fill the tank with distiller h2o. Take it back to machine and let it run while I brush my teeth to flush out any musty air anything else si it doesn't go straight to my lungs.