ResMed's Airsense / Aircurve - Issues?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SleepWellCPAP

ResMed's Airsense / Aircurve - Issues?

Post by SleepWellCPAP » Sat May 02, 2015 2:50 pm

While working with ResMed over the years I have come to respect their genuine concern for both the quality of their equipment and how well their customers are able to use it.

Regarding the new Airsense and Aircurve machines, I searched for and could not find a topic which might offer feedback to ResMed on these new devices. Though I personally am not employed by that company, I believe a suggested improvement thread might benefit any and all using these machines.

I personally have noticed:

1. Airview data and cell transmission faulty. Machines are not appearing in the "cloud" or won't transmit data at all.
2. Though a firmware upgrade is in progress, I have had a few clients with humidifier errors.
3. LCD screen problems - I have exchanged two so far. One where the screen was inoperative (completely black) and another that looked like broken glass.
4. Power problem. An error message on the LCD instructed to reinsert power supply, and though this was done and the message could be cleared, (I even tried a new pwr supply), the message returned and ultimately the unit did not work correctly and had to be exchanged.
5. Autoramp issues. I have a feeling this may be more of a specific user issue that a hardward one, but I thought I would mention it anyway. I have had several clients who were not able to use the auto ramp feature (sleep onset detection) because the abrupt change in pressure woke them up. Seems to occur in users over 14cmH2O who needed a significantly lower start pressure to get to sleep. Their resolution was reverting to manual ramp time.

Thanks in advance to any and all who might want to relay issues or concerns with this relatively new equipment.
Jim Swearingen
Author of the book Sleep Well & Feel Great with CPAP, a definitive guide
For a free copy inquire with your local county librarian
CPAPtalk featured - Also available through Barnes & Noble Booksellers

Matt00926

Re: ResMed's Airsense / Aircurve - Issues?

Post by Matt00926 » Sat May 02, 2015 3:11 pm

SleepWellCPAP wrote:While working with ResMed over the years I have come to respect their genuine concern for both the quality of their equipment and how well their customers are able to use it.

Regarding the new Airsense and Aircurve machines, I searched for and could not find a topic which might offer feedback to ResMed on these new devices. Though I personally am not employed by that company, I believe a suggested improvement thread might benefit any and all using these machines.

I personally have noticed:

1. Airview data and cell transmission faulty. Machines are not appearing in the "cloud" or won't transmit data at all.
2. Though a firmware upgrade is in progress, I have had a few clients with humidifier errors.
3. LCD screen problems - I have exchanged two so far. One where the screen was inoperative (completely black) and another that looked like broken glass.
4. Power problem. An error message on the LCD instructed to reinsert power supply, and though this was done and the message could be cleared, (I even tried a new pwr supply), the message returned and ultimately the unit did not work correctly and had to be exchanged.
5. Autoramp issues. I have a feeling this may be more of a specific user issue that a hardward one, but I thought I would mention it anyway. I have had several clients who were not able to use the auto ramp feature (sleep onset detection) because the abrupt change in pressure woke them up. Seems to occur in users over 14cmH2O who needed a significantly lower start pressure to get to sleep. Their resolution was reverting to manual ramp time.

Thanks in advance to any and all who might want to relay issues or concerns with this relatively new equipment.
Hi there. I am an Aircurve 10 VAuto user (as of last month, April) but operate it on BiPAP "S" mode. I don't use a humidifier or the RAMP feature but I can confidently report that I've had no problems with viewing my data through the cloud (MyAir), the LCD display, or any power issues.
Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 ST
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Simplus FFM

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat May 02, 2015 3:14 pm

Thank you for your observations, and an opportunity to enter our own comments.
I only have one, (small) complaint: once a month, when my DME reads my data for Medicare compliance,
The "period" is changed, and I have to change it back. Not a big problem, per se, but an annoyance.
At least I know when they have my numbers.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat May 02, 2015 3:48 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Thank you for your observations, and an opportunity to enter our own comments.
I only have one, (small) complaint: once a month, when my DME reads my data for Medicare compliance,
The "period" is changed, and I have to change it back. Not a big problem, per se, but an annoyance.
At least I know when they have my numbers.
I wonder if they're resetting your rx by default, and that's changing the period? (I don't remember if you've said you tweaked your settings from what they thought they were)

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat May 02, 2015 4:44 pm

I set my own pressures, which differ slightly from that specified by my pulmonologist.
Nothing has changed, but the period of the on screen sleep report.
When I reset that one field, it remains undisturbed for a month.
Not a big deal, just an observation.

mbushroe

Re: ResMed's Airsense / Aircurve - Issues? Bad Air

Post by mbushroe » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:24 am

I have been using an AirCurve 10 Vauto for several years. I keep mine on top of an arched headboard, just a little less than a hose length above the bed, which means it can easily reach anywhere with little chance of get tied up. I have the humidifier, heated hose, Mirage Quatro full face mask. Because of the high placement of the unit, I can't see the LCD display accept when standing up beside the bed. I wish there was a way to fold out the display to make it visible from underneath, but as that would probably benefit few others, I doubt that will ever be considered. To round out numbers from others, I have never had trouble with cell phone upload to myair, or reading the SD card with sleepyhead. The fan is load when I first turn it on, but later when I put the mask on it becomes much quieter. The headboard is high enough that I can't turn it on or off in bed but must be standing beside the bed. I also have to refill the humidifier every night, it is always dry or nearly so the next day.

My chief complaint, and I am looking to see if it happens to anyone else, is that the air coming out of the blower unit has turned 'bad'. It is air I am no longer willing to breath let alone be my only source of air all night. It doesn't smell like anything growing in the equipment, it is more like an over heated resistor or some other electrical component in the fan section. The air was starting to seem a bit off for the last week so I did a thorough cleaning (which I don't do as often as I should), but seemed worse after I put it back together I have supplemental oxygen so I pulled of the O2 line and sniffed it while the concentrator on and it seemed fine. I removed the hose and humidifier and tried to smell the air coming straight out of the blower. It will only blow air for 1 or 2 seconds because it can sense the lack of back pressure from the humidifier. But during that brief bit of air flow I could smell just a bit of the same smell. So it is not something growing in any wet or damp parts of the system.

This is not the first time I have had a blower unit go bad on me this way. I don't remember what machine type it was last time, but I know it was different because the blower would run continuously, and my response to what ever was mixed into the air was much stronger. Even holding the blower 2-3 feet away from my face if I turned it to blow on my face I could not tolerate that for more than a few seconds. It took a couple of weeks, but I was able to get a replacement that time. I have only just started to try and get this one replaced, as it went bad at the start of the weekend. The part that worries me most is that my current insurance ends on the 31, which is tomorrow and also Monday, the earliest I could call in to live people to get it repaired or replaced. I don't know how the new insurance, starting Tuesday is going to react.

Mike

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:57 am

Wish you'd started your own thread instead of tacking onto a 5 yr old one, but - how old is the one with the bad air, and do you know the run hours?

Others will have to address the insurance (I'm Canadian), but I hope things work out for you.

When you say you did a 'thorough cleaning', what did it consist of, and please tell me you're not using a So Clean ozone machine.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:34 am

It is difficult to predict what insurance will do. You need to get hold of your insurance representative and ask them what is covered and what isn't. I bought my back up machine from a person that had just changed insurance companies through where he worked. His "old" machine had less than 125 hours on it, but his new insurance company said he was going to get a new machine through them. He listed his old machine on facebook marketplace and I bought it. If it had been me, I would have kept the old machine as a back up. I'm glad he didn't because that gave us another back up machine. My wife uses the same model machine as I do, so now we both have back up machines.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:43 am

If you DID use a SoClean, zip your lip and pray really hard they don't figure you did.
If they can prove ozone damage, you are so scrooged.