Prescription for CPAP?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BlackSpinner

Re: Prescription for CPAP?

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:51 am

turbosnore wrote:I understand cpap.com still doesn't deliver to foreign countries (or did it deliver to Canada?).
That's why I ordered my smart card elsewhere. Well, that was quite some years back...

I might bend the rules a bit, but I'm not sure if I should publicly advise people to do so.
And I guess very few doctors would accept that kind of ideas. If some doctor has rejected the machine,
that's usually reason enough not to sign any permissions.
(The doctor's union is VERY strong in Finland. It decides about the doctors' licenses.)
The problem is that the manufacturers control who they can sell to.

If you want a RESMED from cpap.com you need a freight forwarder like http://www.myus.com/ or https://www.shipito.com/ or http://www.reship.com/

They handle all that for you.

Cpap.com will accept prescriptions from most places - they accepted mine from Canada written in French.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Pesser

Post by Pesser » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:00 pm

turbosnore wrote:Looks like secondwind also requires a doctor's permission.
Secondwindcpap.com does not require a perscription if they are shipping outside the US.

turbosnore

Post by turbosnore » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:33 pm

OK, so I could tell the people on the forum that secondwind is an option for people that can't get diagnosed or
whose machine is taken away for too little use/tampering with settings. (Some docs STILL order 4 - 20 cm H2O to patients).

Thank you all.

Pesser

Post by Pesser » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:01 pm

turbosnore wrote:OK, so I could tell the people on the forum that secondwind is an option for people that can't get diagnosed or
whose machine is taken away for too little use/tampering with settings. (Some docs STILL order 4 - 20 cm H2O to patients).

Thank you all.
Exactly. I'm in Canada. I have had very good experience with them. If you call them; they will tell you what is available at deep discount prices and new....that's right brand new with two year warrenty. Give them a call. I did and they know what they are doing! They have many deals that are not on their website!!!!!!!!!!!!

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:56 pm

turbosnore wrote:OK, so I could tell the people on the forum that secondwind is an option for people that can't get diagnosed or
whose machine is taken away for too little use/tampering with settings.
More acutely you should tell them to call them for accurate info than making assumptions what the can and can't do.
turbosnore wrote:(Some docs STILL order 4 - 20 cm H2O to patients)
Not sure that is accurate. For titration it would be common, but for an actual RX, More often a mistake by the DME not seeing the machine up correctly.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

squid13

Post by squid13 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:03 pm

I doubt if they have DME's in Finland, probably comes straight from the Doctor.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:06 pm

Krelvin wrote: More acutely you should tell them to call them for accurate info than making assumptions what the can and can't do.

That is assuming they speak English well enough to do that. Not many people at second wind probably speak Finnish.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

turbosnore

Post by turbosnore » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:02 am

squid13 wrote:I doubt if they have DME's in Finland, probably comes straight from the Doctor.
Actually yes. I guess the systems are quite different. Maybe "clinic" would be better expression.
I wonder if "sleep polyclinic" makes sense in US?

Anyway, some doctors order the titration settings, because "the machine is automatic - no settings are needed".
Nice, eh?
BlackSpinner wrote:
Krelvin wrote: More acutely you should tell them to call them for accurate info than making assumptions what the can and can't do.
That is assuming they speak English well enough to do that. Not many people at second wind probably speak Finnish.
I guess my generation (I'm 52) can, in general, speak English well enough to cope.
The older generation probably not - in general.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:43 pm

turbosnore wrote:
I guess my generation (I'm 52) can, in general, speak English well enough to cope.
The older generation probably not - in general.
Sleep deprivation affects that too. Before I finally got my machine my French became mediocre at best, 3 months after I got it i was a the sleep doctor and talking mostly French with him with ease. Mental abilities are subtly by majorly affected.

Cereal Killer

Post by Cereal Killer » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:40 pm

Krelvin wrote:turbosnore wrote:
(Some docs STILL order 4 - 20 cm H2O to patients)

Not sure that is accurate. For titration it would be common, but for an actual RX, More often a mistake by the DME not seeing the machine up correctly.
Oh no, that is not being done by mistake of DMEs. I have seen dozens of people post in here with a doctor's prescription that says 4 - 20 cm.

My own doctor does it. Of course I change the pressure settings to suit me, not the doctor.

PoolQ

Post by PoolQ » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:14 pm

I can't talk about the CPAP market, but in the business I am in anyone that sells the product has a contract that specifies a territory they are allowed to sell into. "Sometimes" they do gray deals outside and risk losing the line if caught. In CPAP they may not be allowed to sell to Europe, with or without a prescription.
Sleeping MUCH better now

turbosnore

Post by turbosnore » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:58 am

Cereal Killer wrote:
Krelvin wrote:turbosnore wrote:
(Some docs STILL order 4 - 20 cm H2O to patients)

Oh no, that is not being done by mistake of DMEs. I have seen dozens of people post in here with a doctor's prescription that says 4 - 20 cm.

My own doctor does it. Of course I change the pressure settings to suit me, not the doctor.
I guess many doctors haven't even read the manuals. At least in S8 Autoset manual,it clearly says:
The pressure will not rise above 10 cm H2O when an apnea is detected, to prevent an inappropriate response to central apneas.
They seem to think that all APAPs are like ASVs.