Why are people in denial?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SunnyBeBe

Why are people in denial?

Post by SunnyBeBe » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:21 am

Since I was diagnosed and began c-pap therapy, I have had conversations with quite a few people who tell me they have apnea. Some have been officially diagnosed, others say they gasp for air during their sleep and are exhausted during the day. The clincher is that none of them are being treated. I asked about their health issues, and all of them have them, but they just don't seem to believe the lack of oxygen and lack of rest is causing or exacerbating their condition. WHAT? I strongly encouraged them to get a sleep study or return to treatment, but it was if they didn't care. WHAT? All of these people were men. What am I missing? I find this quite disturbing. Just how many people are not being treated for this condition? Do we need a national campaign to bring awareness?
Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (contains humidifier)
Nuance Pro Gel Pillow and headgear

Dave5059

Re: Why are people in denial?

Post by Dave5059 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:30 am

A national campaign that it can happen to not only fat people can help. Some people think its normal to feel the way they do sadly because it is all they have ever felt

pettyfan45

Post by pettyfan45 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:54 am

I didn't think the trouble I was having sleeping was anything more than my just being caused by my ADHD or my cerebral palsy and thought it was just something I had to live with. It was not until I had my Gallbladder removed in October and I had to be screened to see the likely hood of me having sleep apnea I learned that I was at high risk for it and when they mentioned the symptoms a lot of them messed with what I was dealing with. I also learned later on from my mother the untreated sleep apnea is what most likely killed my grandmother about 14 years ago. So I had a sleep study in December and found I that I have "mild" sleep apnea and my doctor said it was just my weight and told to start losing that, I has lost over 20lbs and I have noticed no change so I now going to see if I can get treated.

sptrout

Post by sptrout » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:37 pm

I agree that sleep apnea is highly under diagnosed. I think sleep study costs, and fear of the actual in lab study, are major turnoffs to many people. Also, I do not believe that the dangers of sleep apnea are well known - just soring. Hopefully, with home sleep equipment now becoming easily available if a PCP doctor wants to get into at least that level of testing, it will become a more likely target to be part of a standard physical if any symptoms are mentioned by the patient. Funny, earlier this spring my wife went to the doctor with me for my post lab work review. He asked if I sore, and before I could say a word my wife said YES. I was quickly supplied with home test equipment - LOL. Even though I was hardly able to sleep at all the night with the home equipment attached, it still recorded enough information for me to go for a full in lab study. Somehow, the doctor's insurance people were able to get both the at home study, and in lab study, coded as a standard office visits, so my cost for both was a total of $60. Not a bad investment.

Mask Make & Model: ResMed, AirFit P10
CPAP Pressure: 6-9
CPAP Reporting Software: OSCAR/Sleepyhead & SleepHQ

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:43 pm

http://growahealthychurch.com/wp-conten ... age001.jpg

^^I just posted this in another thread, it is too true.^^

Ooops, edited to insert the correct link.
Last edited by Gasper62 on Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pettyfan45

Post by pettyfan45 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:52 pm

sptrout wrote:I agree that sleep apnea is highly under diagnosed. I think sleep study costs, and fear of the actual in lab study, are major turnoffs to many people. Also, I do not believe that the dangers of sleep apnea are well known - just soring. Hopefully, with home sleep equipment now becoming easily available if a PCP doctor wants to get into at least that level of testing, it will become a more likely target to be part of a standard physical if any symptoms are mentioned by the patient. Funny, earlier this spring my wife went to the doctor with me for my post lab work review. He asked if I sore, and before I could say a word my wife said YES. I was quickly supplied with home test equipment - LOL. Even though I was hardly able to sleep at all the night with the home equipment attached, it still recorded enough information for me to go for a full in lab study. Somehow, the doctor's insurance people were able to get both the at home study, and in lab study, coded as a standard office visits, so my cost for both was a total of $60. Not a bad investment.
The thing about home sleep tests are that many insurance (especially like Medicaid) will not even take the results from a home sleep test let alone pay for one. My guess is because there is no real way to prove it was "you" who did the test and you aren't tying to screw the system to make a quick buck selling a cpap on ebay or something like that.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:56 pm

pettyfan45 wrote:The thing about home sleep tests are that many insurance (especially like Medicaid) will not even take the results from a home sleep test let alone pay for one. My guess is because there is no real way to prove it was "you" who did the test and you aren't tying to screw the system to make a quick buck selling a cpap on ebay or something like that.
whereas, many insurance companies are *encouraging* home sleep tests, because it saves them a lot of money, and following up with an auto machine, to avoid paying for a lab titration.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

sptrout

Post by sptrout » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:15 pm

Does anyone have a guess as to how my doctor's insurance people got my insurance to pay for both at almost no cost to me? I see that others have to pay a huge sum for a lab study. My insurance is BCBS of TX, and is a "Silver" Plan.

Mask Make & Model: ResMed, AirFit P10
CPAP Pressure: 6-9
CPAP Reporting Software: OSCAR/Sleepyhead & SleepHQ

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:23 pm

sprout= I believe your Dr office cannot talk your insurance into paying for anything. You apparently met the criteria to need the test, and the test is covered by your insurance.

SunnyBeBe

Post by SunnyBeBe » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:24 pm

I appreciate the stories concerning why it's difficult to treat sleep apnea. I hope that awareness can be brought about soon.

I will say that the people I have spoken to admit they have sleep apnea or that they strongly believe they have it based on strong indicators. Yet, they don't have any real motivation to treat it. I would think that spending time around a person with Vascular Dementia, strokes, heart disease, would get one's attention. A little research online lets you know the dangers, even if you don't believe your own doctor.

I'm confused about health coverage. With Healthcare.gov, I'm not sure why everyone in the U.S. doesn't have health insurance coverage. It took me about 5 phone calls, but I located a place to do my sleep study with only $20.00 up front. The rest was my deductible and I could pay over time.

I'm beginning to think that it's similar to having diabetes and not treating it. I am a Type I diabetic. It's imperative to check your blood sugars regularly. Despite this, I have never seen another person check their blood sugar in a public place. I assume they go do it in the bathroom. I check mine anywhere and I find it odd that it seems such a rarity.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:15 pm

For most people, the treatment is not easy. We deal with many of those problems here every day. But many others, having no support, just give up. That's one of the reasons there are so many machines for sale on craigslist.

All those who gave up will suffer the consequences, eventually. And there are even more people that are undiagnosed and have no idea. Some will pass away due to stroke, heart attack and other major problems caused or aggravated by their apnea.

Most people have no clue as to the long term consequences of untreated sleep apnea. That's the word that needs to get out!

turbosnore

Post by turbosnore » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:18 pm

I think that there are still too many doctors that think sleep apnea is just a consequence of overweight and loosing weight cures the sleep apnea.

Another thing is that too many people think that sleep apnea is just a comfort issue.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:21 pm

Fear.
It is not helped any by the ads for alternative devices/treatments which represent the equipment in such a poor light--
just to promote their own business.
"You don't want to wear this horrible MASK--it will make you look OLD!"

-----"Hey, how about MY mask? It makes me feel SEXY!"

pettyfan45

Post by pettyfan45 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:30 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Fear.
It is not helped any by the ads for alternative devices/treatments which represent the equipment in such a poor light--
just to promote their own business.
"You don't want to wear this horrible MASK--it will make you look OLD!"

-----"Hey, how about MY mask? It makes me feel SEXY!"
Yeah like here we have ads on TV about CPAP supply companies and anti-snore mouth guards, but nothing about what sleep apena IS and why you should get tested for it if you have any of the symptoms.

SunnyBeBe

Post by SunnyBeBe » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:01 pm

There definitely needs to be more attention devoted to the problem and it's treatment and consequences if it's not treated. It seems like most families have someone who snores or stops breathing during the night.

I never thought I would be an advocate for c-pap therapy! lol Imagine that. I have two uncles who swore by their c-pap machines.

When I started having symptoms during the night, I began research to figure it out. I did not have classic symptoms. I saw my doctor and wouldn't let up until I figured it out. Once I was diagnosed, I WANTED to get treatment ASAP. I just can't wrap my brain around someone who ignores sleep issues and then after being diagnosed, blows off treatment. It boggles the mind. Maybe, I"m not sympathetic enough. I would like to help educate them and find a way to provide them with more support.