Purchasing an auto cpap on my own

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
latrenda

Purchasing an auto cpap on my own

Post by latrenda » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:50 pm

It's been a while since I've used my cpap. I need all new equipment and the company I've used before won't work with me unless I get a new sleep study. Can I just get an auto cpap on my own? What kinds of things do I need to be aware of?
There is one on amazon for 600 dollars - "REMstar Auto with humidifier, SD card and heated tube by respironics"
Don't know if I can post a link here

Wulfman...

Re: Purchasing an auto cpap on my own

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:48 pm

latrenda wrote:It's been a while since I've used my cpap. I need all new equipment and the company I've used before won't work with me unless I get a new sleep study. Can I just get an auto cpap on my own? What kinds of things do I need to be aware of?
There is one on amazon for 600 dollars - "REMstar Auto with humidifier, SD card and heated tube by respironics"
How is it that you feel you need all new equipment.......especially since it's been awhile since you've used what you have?

From my own personal equipment choices, all of my equipment is between 8 and 10 years old, but still very usable and data capable.

What equipment do you have?
Do you still have your old prescription (if you ever actually had one)? It should still be good for purchasing from online suppliers.

You need to check out the prices from various online sellers like

https://www.cpap.com

and other sellers like

http://www.secondwindcpap.com/

Lots of other sellers, too. (some on this forum who sell new or slightly used equipment)

In other words, keep reading and researching before you go plunking down your money.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:56 pm

If considering a used machine, be able to confirm condition and run hours, and deal only with people you can trust.

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:22 pm

latrenda wrote:It's been a while since I've used my cpap. I need all new equipment and the company I've used before won't work with me unless I get a new sleep study. Can I just get an auto cpap on my own? What kinds of things do I need to be aware of?
Did you double check with your insurance company to see if they require a new sleep study? That's the critical source of this information, not the equipment company (DME). If your insurance isn't requiring a new sleep study then ask which DMEs are on their approved list and you can go to one of those, should you prefer that to out-of-pocket.

latrenda

Post by latrenda » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:40 pm

Thanks everyone. Contacting insurance is a good idea

Has anyone used tricare prime with their cpap. Did they require a sleep study after so many years?

David_OKC

Post by David_OKC » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:29 pm

I have an old Invacare I've been using for 8 yrs, Had a Resperonics for 12 before that. For some odd reason they wanted me to have a new sleep study. I had been adjusting my own pressures over the last 20 years and have been doing a "fair" (I thought) job of it.

Doctor would not write a prescription without a new sleep study. My insurance would pay 80% but my share of the sleep study would be $400, my share of the Equipment would be $300 min.
Plus, they wanted me to not use my current machine for 3 days prior. I don't have that many days to blow....

I bought a ResMed S9 Autoset with all the options (250 hrs) on Craigslist for $275. (old man needed a bipap, had heart problems. He looked rough.
Anyhow, I used a manometer to check the pressure of my old machine to use as a starting point for the S9. 7.5cm/H2O.

Set the lower limit to 6cm. upper to 20cm, no EPR (Changing one thing at a time..EPR was crazy talk! Lol)

After first night, pulled and ran the data, Median 14, 95th 16.3, Max, 17.9 Felt better than I had ever felt in YEARS!!
AHI 2.5

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:39 pm

David_OKC wrote: lower limit to 6cm. upper to 20cm, no EPR (Changing one thing at a time..EPR was crazy talk! Lol)

After first night, pulled and ran the data, Median 14, 95th 16.3, Max, 17.9 Felt better than I had ever felt in YEARS!!
AHI 2.5
sounds like you did well... probably need more minimum pressure, given your median/95th pressures.

good to hear that modern equipment likes you

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

David_OKC

Post by David_OKC » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:59 pm

Thanks, I'm changing it to 10 cm when I get home

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:04 pm

David_OKC wrote:Thanks, I'm changing it to 10 cm when I get home
feel free to post some charts, if you'd like others to kibitz on the best settings...

https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

sister

Post by sister » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:00 am

Hi, I have a almost new Resmed 9 auto that I need to sell. It has been used very little by my husband who never wanted to wear a c-pap to begin with. He was diagnosed with mild apnea and was given a choice if he wanted a machine or not. So he hasn't tried. Like I said it is a Resmed 9 auto with an H3i humidifier. I can't tell you how many hours because he eraced them accidently. off and on just a few weeks.
I also have a new tank for the humidifier,anew swift fx mask,new climateline tubing,and filters.
This machine is just like mine and I really like mine.
If you would like any more information feel free to ask, You may send me a private message,e-mail,or phone call.
My e-mail address is: johnandbetty@embarqmail.com

phone# is 252-752-6309
or 252-341-1254 cell
I'm asking $400.00 + 20.00 shipping
Thank you so very much and GOD bless you!
Betty C. MIlls
424 Dail RD.
Grimesland,N.C.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:38 am

Oh Betty, don't ever put your phone # (or address) on the internet. It's one thing if you've known someone a long time here, and you exchange PMs (private messages) so someone can send the other equipment, etc., but if you can edit this one and take out your private info. but suggest people PM you if they're interested, you'd be much better off - the sooner the better.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:47 am

sister wrote:Like I said it is a Resmed 9 auto with an H3i humidifier. I can't tell you how many hours because he eraced them accidently. off and on just a few weeks.
Something is wrong with your description. A Resmed "s9" auto would not come with an H3i humidifier and you can't erase the blower or run hours total use on the machine. That info would still be there.

Provide their ref numbers of the main blower unit so we can tell what type of machine it really is, and tell you how you can find the blower hours do you can provide a picture of the actual blower hours.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin