Sleeping Supplements

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
aussiefilo

Sleeping Supplements

Post by aussiefilo » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:04 pm

Hi all, anyone out there currently on CPAP taking any form of sleeping supplements including both herbal and prescription ones? Just curious as to what people have been taking.
Machine: F&P ICON PREMO
Mask: F&P Pilairo
Humidifier: Built-in
Additional Comments: AHI since starting CPAP <5. Lowest recorded ever is 0.9!!!! Sleep apnea, we will beat you!!!!

SewTired

Re: Sleeping Supplements

Post by SewTired » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:12 pm

I take magnesium and zinc (already have enough calcium) for Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS). Was already taking the iron which helped tremendously last year. It's taken several weeks to help, but my legs are no longer waking me up (although I sometimes still can't get to sleep).

If you mean things to actually make you sleepy, I don't go down that road. Too many people make it a crutch.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

tedburnsIII

Post by tedburnsIII » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:16 pm

Last edited by tedburnsIII on Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Machine - https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmart ... ducts.html
Setting: APAP, 10.5-14cm
Software: Proprietary
Mask- PR Wisp nasal (large); ResMed FX Nasal (wide);
Oximeter: CMS50D+

tedburnsIII

Post by tedburnsIII » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:16 pm

Benadryl, Ambien, hydroxyzine, diazepam, lorazepam (benzos and Ambien in low doses). I may try melatonin.

I feel best the next day without any sleep aids, but usually take something in order to help sleep through the night.

Hydroxyzine is safer and less habit-forming than the benzos or Z drugs like Ambien, but it has a very long half-life. I feel its effects well into the next day, even with a tiny dose of 12.5mg. Some people get used to the drug and get over the sedating effect with frequent use- I am not one of them- I am 65 years old and it really sort of sedates me into the next day, though I seldom need to nap. It's a great drug though.

If I take two Benadryl, it stays with me into the next day but not as bad as hydroxyzine.

AHI of 0 last night with two Benadryl, and slept solid 6.5 hours on CPAP. Felt great all day. Will take only one tonight.

I have sleep-related issues in addition to those related to CPAP. The important thing for me is to sleep through the night. I seldom if ever awaken during the night, but I do rely on these medications on a regular basis. Confident that I may not have to take anything in future as my other problems and worries lessen, and further adapt to the mask.
Last edited by tedburnsIII on Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:30 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Machine - https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmart ... ducts.html
Setting: APAP, 10.5-14cm
Software: Proprietary
Mask- PR Wisp nasal (large); ResMed FX Nasal (wide);
Oximeter: CMS50D+

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:18 pm

Melatonin occasionally 1.5mg, 30-40 mins before going to sleep.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:42 am

Krelvin wrote:Melatonin occasionally 1.5mg, 30-40 mins before going to sleep.
Exactly the same here....+1

Sonya

Post by Sonya » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:05 am

I've been playing with this. Most rx sleep aids make me feel awful all day the next day. I'm too doped up and can't stay awake. I've tried some supplements, but what works best for me is a timed or slow-release melatonin. I need that second stage to keep me asleep.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:16 am

SewTired wrote:I take magnesium and zinc (already have enough calcium) for Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS). Was already taking the iron which helped tremendously last year. It's taken several weeks to help, but my legs are no longer waking me up (although I sometimes still can't get to sleep).
If you mean things to actually make you sleepy, I don't go down that road. Too many people make it a crutch.
I'm a big fan of magnesium, potassium and phosphorus (Seriphos, half a cap) along with what you mentioned. All good for the cardio/neuro/musculature systems. I also get plenty of calcium. Bananas are great for potassium but have a lot of calories, so I take supplements. I also eat plenty of raw veg and fruit during the day because I love both. At bedtime I take .50mg of melatonin under my tongue (Source Naturals).

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

MarylandCPAPer

Post by MarylandCPAPer » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:45 pm

I take potassium and magnesium at night to help with leg cramps, but they don't get me to sleep. I am trying out an over-the-counter herbal product called Somnapure, discussed here:
viewtopic/t106314/Somnapure-as-a-Sleep-Aid.html

Started CPAP 12/18/09 Pressure 13. Changed to APAP 1/18/10, Pressure 10-16. 4/2014:Switched to AirFit P10 mask. PR System One REMstar Auto Series 550 with A-Flex for 5.5 years. 7/2015 to present: AirSense 10 AutoSet FOR HER. Range: 10-20

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:49 pm

I take .3mg of melatonin while I'm getting ready for bed. Helpful for me.

MarylandCPAPer

Post by MarylandCPAPer » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:31 pm

In looking for reviews of Somnapure before I took it, I found the following link that reviews Somnapure and lists some other herbal sleep aids. Somnapure wasn't rated the "best." The "best" for any individual will be the one that works for them. However, there are some I never heard of.

https://www.consumerhealthdigest.com/sl ... apure.html

I found Somnapure at Walgreens on sale for about $13 for 30 capsules. Somnapure popped up somewhere on the Internet with a free offer a month or two ago. The problem with the free offer is that they autoship and bill your credit card after 14 days, barely enough time to try the product and cancel, in my experience. Many of the complaints online are with the autoship program. However, Somnapure is supposed to be readily available in major pharmacies and vitamin stores.

Started CPAP 12/18/09 Pressure 13. Changed to APAP 1/18/10, Pressure 10-16. 4/2014:Switched to AirFit P10 mask. PR System One REMstar Auto Series 550 with A-Flex for 5.5 years. 7/2015 to present: AirSense 10 AutoSet FOR HER. Range: 10-20

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:07 pm

I have about ten or twelve Ghirardelli 60% cocoa chocolate chips.
(Bugs give me gas, so I don't have them right before bed.)
I sleep like a baby with very happy parents.
Your mileage will certainly vary.

jaybeem

Post by jaybeem » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:39 pm

I have been taking 50 mg. of trazadone. Worked great for a couple of years. But as I am aging, I think it has begun making me dopey the next day. Stopped cold turkey, which was not wise...10 days of increasingly worse insomnia until I was still awake until 6 am. So I went back on 37 mg. and will try to wean myself off. I have also used melatonin, but its effects lessened with time. Tried Ambien and experienced severe angioedema.

TangledHose

Post by TangledHose » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:54 pm

Be aware that there is strong evidence that "Long Term" use of some common over-the-counter sleep aids like Benadryl and PM versions of Advil, Tylenol, and other PM versions of NSAIDS have been linked to early on-set dementia and Alzheimer's

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/288546.php

http://blog.aarp.org/2015/01/29/common- ... lzheimers/

Link to Sleepyhead:
http://sleepfiles.com/SH2/

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:22 am

Holy cow, I didn't know about this at all. This actually explains why my Dad's cousin developed dementia and went downhill so quickly in the early 90s. We thought it might be farm chemicals but nobody since developed such problems and I know she used Benedryl daily.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)