Accidentally fell asleep with mask on, but didn't turn CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jneditch

Accidentally fell asleep with mask on, but didn't turn CPAP

Post by Jneditch » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:34 am

Hello all, first post.

So I was a little startled today when I woke up and realized I had my mask on, but my CPAP machine was off. I was so tired last night I guess I put my mask on and forgot to turn on the machine.

I have a full face mask, but I guess they are designed for a worst case scenario to sleep with the mask on, but no power to the machine in case your power goes out.

Just wondering if anyone else has ever done this and is it dangerous? I was worried I could've done damage to myself since I was sleeping without getting full air.

I've been using CPAP for about a year. First time I ever did something this stupid.

SewTired

Re: Accidentally fell asleep with mask on, but didn't turn CPAP

Post by SewTired » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:42 am

Wow, I have trouble breathing in just the few seconds it takes for my auto-on to work.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:50 am

Jneditch wrote:Hello all, first post.

So I was a little startled today when I woke up and realized I had my mask on, but my CPAP machine was off. I was so tired last night I guess I put my mask on and forgot to turn on the machine.

I have a full face mask, but I guess they are designed for a worst case scenario to sleep with the mask on, but no power to the machine in case your power goes out.

Just wondering if anyone else has ever done this and is it dangerous? I was worried I could've done damage to myself since I was sleeping without getting full air.

I've been using CPAP for about a year. First time I ever did something this stupid.
Hi. You haven't stated what kind of machine you're using, but many of them have an "Auto On/Off" setting. That feature senses when you're breathing in the mask and turns the machine on automatically; likewise, when it senses that you're *not* breathing into the mask, it shuts the machine off automatically (like if you got up to go to the bathroom and disconnected from the hose or when you wake up and take the mask off completely in the morning).

As far as the anti-asphyxiation valve on FFMs goes, it's designed to allow you to breathe room air if you lose power to the machine. So I believe that design feature is meant for temporary use, and not all night. (When I've lost power in the night and the machine shuts off, I've woken up pretty quickly.)

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about sleeping the way you did last night, though. That said, I'd activate the auto-on/off feature on the machine so that it couldn't happen again.
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:19 am

I have done this too, but never over an entire night. I use a nasel mask, which even though I have trained myself not to, allows me to breathe through my mouth (in case of power failure or sleepy forgetfullness). I too now awake very quickly when the air flow goes off, or never goes on, so the time spent without full air preasure would be very minimal.

The suggestion to turn the auto on / auto off feature for your xpap is an excellent idea, especially in your case as you must not have been too uncomfortable to be breathing only through the mask. You aren't a scuba diver are you...

John

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright

rockncountry101

Post by rockncountry101 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:22 am

I agree with the auto feature as well!

pettyfan45

Post by pettyfan45 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:22 am

I am not on CPAP yet, but I was wondering something similar. If I loose power while the machine is and power comes back on will the machine start on it's own or would I need to rely on auto start (if I am asleep) or hit the start button (if I am wake and auto start doesn't want to work). Is there settings I need to check (like a computer to insure that it will turn back on when power comes back or is that that is on from the factory?

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:26 am

pettyfan45 wrote:I am not on CPAP yet, but I was wondering something similar. If I loose power while the machine is and power comes back on will the machine start on it's own or would I need to rely on auto start (if I am asleep) or hit the start button (if I am wake and auto start doesn't want to work). Is there settings I need to check (like a computer to insure that it will turn back on when power comes back or is that that is on from the factory?
If you have autostart set to on, the machine will start with your breathing. This feature has been around quite a while and I wouldn't have one that didnt have it. I think even many of the non-auto machines have it now.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

Jneditch

Post by Jneditch » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:31 am

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll make sure to turn the auto on, on!

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:57 am

The FF masks have an anti-asphixia(?) valve that will allow you to breath with the machine off. With a nose mask you will automatically open your mouth.

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:05 am

With a FF mask with the anti asphyxia valve it can take a "firm" exhale to close the valve to trigger the auto start on the machine.
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:15 am

On my S9 vpap auto, any exhale in my ffm will cause the auto start to work. I try sometimes to put my mask on without triggering the auto until I have it on and it is very easy for auto start to trigger.

Taking the mask off shuts the auto off in about 3 seconds.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:29 am

I should have qualified my statement with "depending on machine" .... the 60 series seem to be a little less sensitive on the auto start and take about a minute to turn off when mask removed.
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:45 am

I did that myself (slept with the machine off)--once--with a full face mask, of course.
I woke up to the sound of the AA valve flipping back and forth.
The machine I had then did not have auto on.
I made sure that my subsequent machines did.
I turn the machine off manually because the noise bothers the bullfrog.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:30 am

Welcome, Jneditch. Please go to your profile and fill out the equipment section. This will add the information to the bottom of every post you make automatically and save you from answering the same questions again and again.

All masks are designed with vents and/or valves to allow breathing if the machine is off. Once you are used to the breathing relief the machine provides, it will get your attention when it stops. The difference is enough to wake me out of a sound sleep. CPAP will become part of your nightly routine.

Also, some people like to use the ramp and many people don't - purely personal preference. For people who don't use the ramp, they would probably notice more quickly that the machine was off.

So you didn't hurt anything by leaving the machine off but you didn't get the benefit of the therapy. Check if you have the auto-on feature available to you and enable it if you do - we can tell you once you fill out the equipment section of your profile. If not, make a routine - check that the water tank is full, lay down, put on mask, reach over and push the on button.

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:55 am

yaconsult wrote:
All masks are designed with vents and/or valves to allow breathing if the machine is off.
Just to clarify, only FFMs have the anti-asphyxiation valve so you can breathe when the machine is off. (With nasal or pillows masks, you can just open your mouth.) AFAIK, vents are used only to get rid of expelled CO2 (not for breathing).
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.