Best way to keep nose moist?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Kerriboberri

Best way to keep nose moist?

Post by Kerriboberri » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:56 pm

I was putting a dab of Vic's right under each nostril before putting on my gear, but I've heard that's not good for me and my gear so I've stopped using it. Even with my humidifier set to 5 my nose is drying out. What is the best thing to us e to keep my nose moist? I should also mention that I use a saline solution and blow my nose right before putting my gear on too.

Thanks for any tips you may have!!

Pugsy

Re: Best way to keep nose moist?

Post by Pugsy » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:02 pm

You might try some Lansinoh lanolin ointment/cream. We normally suggest it for minor tenderness issues but it should also help retain some moisture. It's safe for both you and your mask.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:32 pm

Vicks above the neck isn't a good idea . IMO. Mayo Clinic info: Swallowing a few teaspoons of camphor — one of the main ingredients in VapoRub and other topical medications, such as Campho-Phenique and Bengay — can cause fatal poisoning in toddlers. Topical camphor absorbed through mucous membranes or broken skin also can be toxic. That's why you should never put VapoRub in or around the nostrils — particularly a small child's nostrils. Finally, if VapoRub gets in your eye, it can injure your cornea.

Darth Lady

Post by Darth Lady » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:34 pm

If it's your sinuses that are dry, try a saline spray before going to bed. I did that all winter. Worked very well.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:57 pm

And I just do a deep knee bend.
I know, bad frog!

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:33 pm

Ayr Saline nasal gel in the nostrils with a Qtip will last a little longer than the spray. I used it at first and it helped but now I don't seem to need it anymore.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

rachelp

Post by rachelp » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:07 pm

I rotate between aquafor with a qtip just around the inside of the nose, Ayr, or some special nose moisturizer I bought. If it's too moist my nasal pillows don't sit right so I don't over do it.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:54 pm

Kerriboberri wrote:I was putting a dab of Vic's right under each nostril before putting on my gear, but I've heard that's not good for me and my gear so I've stopped using it. Even with my humidifier set to 5 my nose is drying out. What is the best thing to us e to keep my nose moist? I should also mention that I use a saline solution and blow my nose right before putting my gear on too.

Thanks for any tips you may have!!
Any chance you're losing your therapy air (and humidity) out your mouth during the night? Ever have dry mouth?

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Kerriboberri

Post by Kerriboberri » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:46 pm

Thanks for all of the ideas!

And yes, I am actually having an issue with mouth breathing and dry mouth too. I tried a small full mask but it was too big so went back to the pillows until I have time to deal with getting an extra small full mask. When I requested to try a full mask they said I'm between size XS and S, they were out of XS so we went with the small.

The pillows are for the most part doing the job, I do have more energy the last few weeks, I've only been on machine since June 1st.