Humidifier doesn't last the whole night

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MichaelWD64

Humidifier doesn't last the whole night

Post by MichaelWD64 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:27 pm

Hi!

New to CPAP, just finished my fifth night on CPAP / ASV.

I live in Wyoming, which is extraordinarily dry in the winter. And live at 5200 feet above sea level.

Humidifier is set at 3.5 of 6. Filled to "max" line right before sleep, was bone dry 7 hours later when I woke up, and I'm coughing like I used to with my oxygen concentrator before adding a humidifier on that.

Is this normal? Will it harm the machine? What should I do, turn down the humidifier setting? Something else?

Here's my gear list:

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro Air
Humidifier: ResMed H51

Thank you!
Michael

Got on CPAP 2015, AHI 147. Much better now. Have central & obstructive apnea. Smoked 30 years, quit when got on O2 & CPAP. I'm not on O2 during day anymore, only when I sleep, into CPAP machine. Ahhhh....oxygen! Refreshing!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Humidifier doesn't last the whole night

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:36 pm

A big humidifier in the bedroom might help.
There are auxiliary cpap humidifiers which might help.
Wyoming is wonderful, but yes about the dryness.

MichaelWD64

Post by MichaelWD64 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:41 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:A big humidifier in the bedroom might help.
There are auxiliary cpap humidifiers which might help.
Do you know the names or model numbers for them?

Thanks!
MWD

Got on CPAP 2015, AHI 147. Much better now. Have central & obstructive apnea. Smoked 30 years, quit when got on O2 & CPAP. I'm not on O2 during day anymore, only when I sleep, into CPAP machine. Ahhhh....oxygen! Refreshing!

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:41 pm

MichaelWD64 wrote:Hi!

New to CPAP, just finished my fifth night on CPAP / ASV.

I live in Wyoming, which is extraordinarily dry in the winter. And live at 5200 feet above sea level.

Humidifier is set at 3.5 of 6. Filled to "max" line right before sleep, was bone dry 7 hours later when I woke up, and I'm coughing like I used to with my oxygen concentrator before adding a humidifier on that.

Is this normal? Will it harm the machine? What should I do, turn down the humidifier setting? Something else?

Here's my gear list:

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro Air
Humidifier: ResMed H51

Thank you!
Michael
I also live in Wyoming at 5800 elevation and only use "passover" humidification year round. Been using that since I started therapy. Since the air is dry, it easily picks up moisture. No problems and I don't run out of water. I usually top off my tank every 2 - 3 nights.......as it will drop about 1/2" - 3/4" by then.

Are you taking Lisinopril? That could account for your coughing.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

MichaelWD64

Post by MichaelWD64 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:08 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
MichaelWD64 wrote:Hi!

Are you taking Lisinopril? That could account for your coughing.

Den,

Thank you for the reply.

nope. Taking:
--Nebulized:
Budesonide and Brovana for asthma. 2x day.

Pills, daily:
--Candesartan for high blood pressure
--Singulair for asthma
--Pantoprazole for GERD (morning)

OTC Equate for allergies.
OTC Prilosec for GERD (evening)
OTC tums for GERD, as needed.

Shots:
Xolair shots for allergies, every two weeks, just started that in Sept.

Tapering off Prednisone, was at 30 Mg for six months, down to 25 Mg from two weeks ago.

I'm not coughing constantly, only for a few minutes when waking up. I used to cough all the time before my asthma got managed. To the point where I passed out once and broke my nose, and another time cracked a rib coughing. My coughing now is nothing like that.

Michael

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:23 am

What pressures are you using/seeing?
What does your leak rate look like?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:55 am

You can add the F&P HC150 humidifier in line with the one you have. It has a very large water chamber.

I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS

MichaelWD64

Post by MichaelWD64 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:15 am

6PtStar wrote:You can add the F&P HC150 humidifier in line with the one you have. It has a very large water chamber.
Thank you.
MWD

MichaelWD64

Post by MichaelWD64 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:16 am

Pugsy wrote:What pressures are you using/seeing?
14 / 19 CPAP/ ASV
Pugsy wrote:What pressures are you using/seeing?
What does your leak rate look like?
like 5%.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:21 am

water consumption is tied to these factors

pressures used....more air blowing over the water will use more water so higher pressures are a factor
excess leaks...if someone has a lot of excess leak more water will be used. 5 % of the night in large leak territory shouldn't be that much of a factor...now if you had reported 30 %...maybe.

and of course ambient room humidity...the drier the air in the house the more water that needs to be added.

Are you using the heated hose or is the 3.5 setting using a regular hose?

If your nose will allow a reduction in the setting you might try that.
If not using a heated hose you might consider getting one. It allows for more precise customization of the humidity delivered as well as air temp.

You can try added moisture to the bedroom air with a room humidifier so that the machine won't have to crank out so much moisture.
Adding a second humidifier like the H150 might not prevent the S9 humidifier from going dry but it might allow for a lower setting which would use less water without making the nose unhappy.

Your nose may be just fine at a lower setting or it may rebel.
Humidity needs are highly individualized. Den needs minimal added moisture and he lives in a dry area....I live in a rather high ambient humidity area and I still need to maximize my humidity or else my nose gives me some rather nasty allergy like symptoms to deal with. What your nose wants/needs is something you will have to sort on your own. There is no right or wrong...there's just whatever works for the individual.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

WindCpap

Post by WindCpap » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:56 am

Pugsy wrote: pressures used....more air blowing over the water will use more water so higher pressures are a factor
Just a note: It's not the pressure itself that causes the higher water consumption, but rather the increased flow rate. Every mask has a vent, and the amount of air vented is going to be directly related to the pressure. The flow rate of air your breath is related to the speed of your diaphragm, and has very little to do with the pressure.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:18 am

WindCpap wrote:
Pugsy wrote: pressures used....more air blowing over the water will use more water so higher pressures are a factor
Just a note: It's not the pressure itself that causes the higher water consumption, but rather the increased flow rate. Every mask has a vent, and the amount of air vented is going to be directly related to the pressure. The flow rate of air your breath is related to the speed of your diaphragm, and has very little to do with the pressure.

Yes, the vent rate is proportional to pressures and as Pugsy stated more air blowing over the water. Not sure what you are implying by "speed of your diaphragm" Respiratory Rate? Tidal Volume? If so I would also say this is also moving more air across the water.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

WindCpap

Post by WindCpap » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:36 pm

The vent rate is not proportional to pressure. More like vent rate squared is proportional to pressure.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:03 pm

WindCpap wrote:The vent rate is not proportional to pressure. More like vent rate squared is proportional to pressure.
NO! WRONG!

Page 7 of the following manual (for your mask).

http://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/ ... er_eng.pdf

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:13 pm

I used propotional as the # 3 definition at dictionary.com
3. of, relating to, or based on proportion; relative.
Every mask has a venting pressure curve flow that shows how it increases.
Here is the P10
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760