airblasts

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tiredandscared

airblasts

Post by tiredandscared » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:13 am

I think, I'm almost able to say that I'm successful in making the treatment work. Remzzz cloth patches eliminated most of the irritation of wearing silicone. The final problem seem to be airblasts. Just when I'm about to fall asleep on my back. I get this annoying blast of air that basically wakes me up by forcing air into my throat.

My maximum pressure is 15 ad minimum 4

Julie

Re: airblasts

Post by Julie » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:36 am

The annoying blast of air is telling you to a) get off your back, and b) it's trying to keep your airway open enough to get the required amount of 02 you need to breathe properly and wake up in the a.m. How annoying.

PoolQ

Post by PoolQ » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:10 pm

Are you checking your data? There should be a flow limit right before that blast of air. It should not be a 4->15 jump in a single step.
For me it took a while to change from "what the heck is going wrong" to "relax it's working just fine" The machine is supposed to be doing that, you just don't "know" it yet.
Sleeping MUCH better now

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:13 pm

tiredandscared wrote: Just when I'm about to fall asleep on my back. I get this annoying blast of air that basically wakes me up by forcing air into my throat.
that's strange, the machine you listed doesn't have the ability to generate a 'blast of air'... maybe your mask slipped.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

tiredandscared

Post by tiredandscared » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:33 pm

PoolQ wrote:Are you checking your data? There should be a flow limit right before that blast of air. It should not be a 4->15 jump in a single step.
For me it took a while to change from "what the heck is going wrong" to "relax it's working just fine" The machine is supposed to be doing that, you just don't "know" it yet.
How do I check the data. I assume that the flow limitation. Is basically the machine sensing you not breathing?
The problem is that it snatches me out of sleep.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:41 pm

tiredandscared wrote:
PoolQ wrote:Are you checking your data? There should be a flow limit right before that blast of air. It should not be a 4->15 jump in a single step.
How do I check the data. I assume that the flow limitation. Is basically the machine not sensing you breathing?
Get Sleepyhead and find out what's happening.

https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead

Your pressure range is waaaaaay too wide open.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

tiredandscared

Post by tiredandscared » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:49 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
tiredandscared wrote:
How do I check the data. I assume that the flow limitation. Is basically the machine not sensing you breathing?

Den

Does sleepy head work with resmed airsense 10? And should i have a higher pressure?

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:53 pm

tiredandscared wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:
tiredandscared wrote:

Den

Does sleepy head work with resmed airsense 10? And should i have a higher pressure?
Yes it does. Your minimum pressure should most likely be higher. You need pressures that are much closer to what will prevent your events from occurring. That way the pressure changes or rapid increases won't occur as much.
But, using Sleepyhead will tell you much more about your therapy.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

tiredandscared

Post by tiredandscared » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:59 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
tiredandscared wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:
tiredandscared wrote:

Den

Yes it does. Your minimum pressure should most likely be higher. You need pressures that are much closer to what will prevent your events from occurring. That way the pressure changes or rapid increases won't occur as much.
But, using Sleepyhead will tell you much more about your therapy.

Den

How do I connect I connect the machine to the PC?

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:13 pm

Your CPAP machine has an "SD" data card which stores the nightly data. If your computer doesn't already have an SD card reader, you'd need to get one......they're only about $10 at places like Walmart. It's the same type of data-card that many digital cameras use.

Den

User since 05/14/05

tiredandscared

Post by tiredandscared » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:20 pm

Wulfman... wrote:Your CPAP machine has an "SD" data card which stores the nightly data. If your computer doesn't already have an SD card reader, you'd need to get one......they're only about $10 at places like Walmart. It's the same type of data-card that many digital cameras use.

Den

Alright i've set up the application. I don't have enough data for it to be meaningful. But based on the small amount of data. The minimum pressure seems to be 6.8. There was only one recorded obstructive event which lasted 10 seconds, at which the machine adjusted to 6-7 .

I'm going set the minimum to 7. See what happens. I hope i can sleep with this thing.

garagelogician

Post by garagelogician » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:14 pm

Also make sure you have the ramp setting disabled, that way you can get accustomed to the minimum pressure and not have an increase right as you fall asleep.

tiredandscared

Post by tiredandscared » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:41 am

Ok tried it with higher pressure. And turning the ramp function off. I'm having a hard time sleeping with the machine despite not getting airblasts. Any recommendations for adjustments? I used it for 50 minutes to an hour before I had to take it off, because I was unable to fall asleep.

garagelogician

Post by garagelogician » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:52 pm

tiredandscared wrote:Ok tried it with higher pressure. And turning the ramp function off. I'm having a hard time sleeping with the machine despite not getting airblasts. Any recommendations for adjustments? I used it for 50 minutes to an hour before I had to take it off, because I was unable to fall asleep.
I think it might be worthwhile to spend some time with your mask and machine on while you are awake...say when you are watching TV or reading. Get yourself accustomed to the pressure without the "pressure" of trying to fall asleep. Don't fight the machine or hyperventilate, and try to keep yourself as relaxed as possible.

I used to have trouble like you are having as well, but I was able to get over it completely within a week or two. That was 10 years ago, and CPAP has made me feel great that entire time.

Good luck and hang in there! Before you know it, you won't be able to sleep without it.

tiredandscared

Post by tiredandscared » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:52 am

I finally figured out a way to make it comfortable. I had to adjust the straps enough to not put a lot of pressure on my nasal bridge. Before I'd not do it out of the risk of leaks. But screw it. I need to sleep with this and as long as I don't move in my sleep alot. I'll be fine. If I sit up, I immediately get leaks, but with lying down and remzzz I'm getting ok seals. Hopefully the pressure will be enough to keep my airway open. Otherwise this will be impossible to follow through with.