Dental Appliance: Your Views

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Starlette

Dental Appliance: Your Views

Post by Starlette » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:56 pm

I am considering purchasing another dental appliance. I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth the money to do so.
Lower jaw doesn't seem to be forward enough so I can capture more air. I asked my dentist about it a while back. Can't remember how he responded, I do remember he was not in favor of moving it forward. In my mind it would sound reasonable that the lower jaw would be aligned with the top teeth. When I had it on, I didn't feel my lower jaw moved forward, it felt rather in the same place. More to prevent my jaw from moving from left to right, which did not occur.

For those of you who are using dental appliances, how is it working for you?

Starlette

herefishy

Re: Dental Appliance: Your Views

Post by herefishy » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:03 am

I would be afraid of it causing TMJ. I wore one for a month or so before my jaw quit returning to it's "rightful position" and it would hurt. TMJ is awfully hard to treat, I understand, so I would discuss this aspect with your dentist thoroughly.

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:10 am

here are a couple of thread to read through :

viewtopic/t102732/search.php?keywords=m ... dvancement
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

Starlette

Post by Starlette » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:29 pm

@herefishy

Silent-Nite is I've used only. My dentist prescribed that one due to my TMJ.

Starlette

City Girl

Post by City Girl » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:12 pm

Most dentist do not have the proper education to diagnosis or fit a dental appliance. Fortunately I found the only dentist that I will let make me my dental appliance. He is in Boca Raton, Florida which for many of you may be out of your way. Many dentist try to fit the dental appliance and I have spent a lot of money for useless mouth guard. For the individual with a jaw problem, I would seek out an expert----not necessarily a dentist. Good luck.

Starlette

Post by Starlette » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:42 pm

City Girl wrote:Most dentist do not have the proper education to diagnosis or fit a dental appliance. Fortunately I found the only dentist that I will let make me my dental appliance. He is in Boca Raton, Florida which for many of you may be out of your way. Many dentist try to fit the dental appliance and I have spent a lot of money for useless mouth guard. For the individual with a jaw problem, I would seek out an expert----not necessarily a dentist. Good luck.
Hi City Girl,

Yes, Colorado is just a tad distance away
City Girl wrote:Most dentist do not have the proper education to diagnosis or fit a dental appliance.
You are right. Never considered that.
City Girl wrote:Many dentist try to fit the dental appliance and I have spent a lot of money for useless mouth guard.
You are correct in your assessment. My "dental appliance" was a $300 mouthguard.

Jaw Problem meaning TMJ? That is why he ordered me the silent-nite.

Not that long ago, I stumbled upon a facility for sleep apnea. May just contact them as a starting point. They may very well point me in the right direction.

Thank you City Girl

MrGrumpy

Post by MrGrumpy » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:25 pm

I think for mild sleep apnea, properly done oral appliances are fine. I would not want to have moderate sleep apnea treated with an oral appliance and for severe OSA, forget it.

For those with mild sleep apnea and those with claustrophobia or are hyper sensitive to skin blemishes from having gear on their face, an oral appliance maybe just the ticket.
Id be dead by now if I didn't use my CPAP gear every night.

stevedev

Post by stevedev » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:07 am

All I wanted to share..
I started a google group for those users of the silent nite slide-link product and seeking to share experiences here:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum ... link-users

If you are a user of this product and have interest in sharing your experiences or learning about the device, please signup. Much appreciated. I'm a first-time user, and just starting down the road of battling Sleep Apnea myself.

-Steve

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:45 am

stevedev wrote:starting down the road of battling Sleep Apnea myself
Bringing a knife to a gun fight.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:02 am

stevedev wrote:A. I'm a first-time user, and just starting down the road of battling Sleep Apnea myself.

-Steve
No battle required. Put on you cpap mask and machine and go to sleep. If you look at it as a battle you will lose.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Starlette

Post by Starlette » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:54 pm

+1 Blackspinner

peridotjude

Post by peridotjude » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:17 pm

Starlette wrote:I am considering purchasing another dental appliance. I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth the money to do so....
Starlette

Probably a lot of expense for very little results, IMO. Unless you have very mild apnea, it won't do enough for you. And it might make your TMJ very painful, even go into spasm, the last things you want. CPAP remains the gold standard for OSA treatment. IMO there's no way around it.

peridotjude

Post by peridotjude » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:18 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:
stevedev wrote:A. I'm a first-time user, and just starting down the road of battling Sleep Apnea myself.

-Steve
No battle required. Put on you cpap mask and machine and go to sleep. If you look at it as a battle you will lose.

Good point. Our attitude about PAP is everything, or darned close to it. The more we whine and fight and compromise our therapy, the worse off we'll be.