Best chin straps for mouth breathers.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Mr Nifty

Best chin straps for mouth breathers.

Post by Mr Nifty » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:51 pm

I'm currently using a Swift FX pillow mask. Love it. But I don't think my resmed chin strap is working well enough. Dry mouth and the bipap reports leakage.

Any suggestions for a comfortable and effective chin strap?
Sleeping better since 01/13/2016
Masks I have tried
AirFit F10-FFM, AirFit N10-Nasal, Mirage Liberty-Hybrid FFM, Mirage Quattro-FFM, Swift FX Nano-Pillow, Mirage Activa LT-Nasal, ComfortGel Blue-FFM, Amara View -FFM, Pilairo Q -Pillow, Dreamwear -Nasal

GettingBetter

Re: Best chin straps for mouth breathers.

Post by GettingBetter » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:15 pm

Mr Nifty wrote:I'm currently using a Swift FX pillow mask. Love it. But I don't think my resmed chin strap is working well enough. Dry mouth and the bipap reports leakage.

Any suggestions for a comfortable and effective chin strap?
Hey Mr. Nifty,

It is so nice to really like your mask. I like mine too and have a similar problem with the mouth breathing. Here's what I did - and it took me a while to get comfortable.

I used polident to "glue" my mouth shut. This didn't work for me, but there's a lady on here that likes it and it helps her. It made me claustrophobic and uncomfortable. I did this once.

I use Surgical Tape to tape my mouth shut. It is uncomfortable to start with, but I've gotten used to it. I try to train my tongue, but in the morning, the tape is loose from me working my mouth open all night. I don't have leaks so it is working.

I want to try a cervical collar. It is supposed to keep the mouth shut and the neck from getting kinked. Anything to keep that from happening, am I right? I dunno if it will work or not.

I tried the wearing the mask while reading, no tape and trying to train my mouth to stay shut. The problem is I'm 50 and I've had allergies for a long time and my mouth has got to do it's own thing for as long as I can remember, so it really does not take to training well - so I'm buying surgical tape in bulk.

Hope this helps or at least gets someone to give you a more useful answer.

Kind regards,
GB

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:30 pm

The best straps that I've found for my stubborn mouth-breathing are.....the straps on my F10 FFM's headgear. I somehow found a way to defeat every chin strap I ever tried and always ended up breathing through my mouth. (I even made one up from a modified ball cap and Velcro that I saw on youtube) I hope you have more luck than I did, I REALLY wanted the Swift FX to work for me.

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:45 pm

Cervical collar works best for me.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:51 pm

Even with a chin strap and/or your teeth clenched together, you will see that you can still blow air out between your lips. That is what I caught myself doing. The best solution for me is a strip of 3M Micropore tape between my top and bottom lips placed right in the middle. And it's more comfortable than a chin strap too.

But we are all different, so experiment and find out what works best for YOU!